ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Monday, March 17, 2008

~Maple Syrup Time~


Happy St. Patricks Day :-)
I was reading our local paper and I didn't realize that it was our
maple syrup time. That the sap is running back up to the trees.
With the warmer days it rises, then with our colder nights it goes
back down.. While its running is when they put a spout into the
tree and hang a pail under it and collect it to make some of THE
best syrup you will ever taste.. It cant even really be described.
There is a place not far that still does this and they have tours
and pancakes to eat with the freshly made Syrup..That photo
shows how they cooked the syrup years ago at this place where
they do the tours called Sugar Bush.. What is so amazing is it takes
40 gallons of sap to get one gallon of syrup.

When I was young..this time of year was a big event..My Aunt Gladys
had family that had a camp just for doing the maple collecting and
the cooking of the sap. Most of the family would go out there to help.
riding down the road you could start to smell the sweet odor that was
in the air and see the steam that was everywhere.. The closer we got
the stronger the smell and if you werent hungry when you got there
well you were by the time you left. It was anotherrr time of year for the
family to spend time together and it was great :-)

My Uncle Gordon and his family, Uncle Ernie and his, my Uncle Stanley
and his.. We all had designated jobs to do..Us kids well we did the
running back and forth carrying the pails to the wagons that would haul
it up to where they cooked it.. We had the best time..usually there was
snow on the ground and we would love to go back up to where they
cooked it.. the cooker would dribble some of the syrup onto the cold
snow and make it harden into some great candy..That was really good.
As the day wound down my Aunts and Mom would start to put out the
food they brought for all of Us to have a snack, which when you eat out
doors it always tastes good, plus food was a major part of our times
together that's when everyone really talked..

As we all sat around and the 'elder's' talked I always enjoyed listening
to the stories they told of past times when they were young and how it
was for them, when it came right down to it things then hadnt changed
on how the maple syrup gatherings were such a fun time of everyone
getting together.. But all our family times were great fun... Its nice that
this place has these tours so you can experience some of the old ways
of doing things and its still a nice time for family times..and the way
things are now.. family's sure need it..

Well I do have good news, Penny came today, and I told her about the
MIcrowave, she put the little dish of water in..re plugged it back in .. I
left it unplugged I wasn't taking any chances..she hit the time, then
start and zip..she ran like she had before.. NOW.. I un plugged, re did
the WHOLE plug..from the wall..even pulled the fridge out to make
sure it WAS plugged right.. so I dunno what was wrong..but she is fine
today.. I had Penny dig my last pasty out of the freezer that I had
from that great Pasty Central and cooked it.. Those are THE very best.
Soon they will stop shipping for the summer, so I hope I can get 4 more
before they stop.. I gave 1 to Donnie..and one to Penny, Now I wish I
had kept all 4 :-) they enjoyed them so that's the main thing..But I am
SO glad my nuker is working again.. Just made my day...All I could see
was no hot food with Out going through a zillion other things to set up
my other cooking stuff, that takes the joy out of eating for me..then my
appetite goes out the window and im tired before I get started ! :-)

Tired is me, I got up early this morning as I just couldn't go back to
sleep, and was kinda hetic , always is when Penny is here to clean..
Ive not heard from the skin Dr, and there is no change in my hands.
I need to get out of this chair for today and work on the blanket...
So that means its time for my famous GORGEOUS WEEBLE words..
"Nitey Nite" :-)

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? love ya and THANKS !!! :-)
ALways, Lois ****

.
God Bless you, is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again.....

4 Comments:

  • At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow I love the picture and maple syrup is the best.
    So glad your Microwave is working.
    Patsy is feeling better today and did a little shopping.
    I work for Becky for 2 hours, her staff needed to see the Eye Doctor..
    You had a wonderful childhood what a blessing that is...I think I had a wonderful childhood too.
    Going to bed early tonight.
    God bless you Lois
    Mary

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    momar's visit to Weston, VT. In 1957, I went to Weston VT with an architect to visit the bendictine monks in Weston. They had tapped all their sugar maples and ran the syrup down to a syrup cabin via plastic tubing. They had a big tub with some sort of heat - and the whole operation was highly automated.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey,
    Ines always has Maple Syrup on her porridge, every morning. I used to like it on the waffles that my Mum made, back before the War (1939-1945, I mean!!) She used to make them with buckwheat flour and they tasted really good. Now, the waffle iron broke and was scrapped and Ines is allergic to buckwheat - Ho Hum!!
    I'm SO glad the Microwave is working again, OK. You really were stuck without that in use. Must be some sort of auto-trip on it someplace, that resets itself after a few minutes.
    Take care, Honey.
    L.O.L. & G.B.H. from
    Raife

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary,
    Thanks .. Im so glad Patsy is improving.. With the TLC you give her she will do just fine Im sure... Im headed into my bed.. I keep my tv in there :-) Dunno if thats smart or not lol..

    Hi Momar...
    Yes the new ways to process it now is amazing..but its so nice to know they are still preserving the old ways..so its not forgotten..

    Hi Raife,
    I have NO idea why my stuff plays tricks on me other than to just see how much I can stand before I say something ugly lol.. Drama drama.. I love it.. never stops.. :-)

    Good to hear from you..Thanks :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker