ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Thursday, March 15, 2007

~It Got Us AGAIN~


We woke to a nice surprise today, when I went to bed last nite
was not one bit of snow on the ground..This morning we are
covered again..It must have snowed all night.. Was really
pretty out though . all sparkly and clean looking.When I roll up
to my desk in the morning he makes a B-line to the window
and will almost tear the blind off waiting for me to pull it up so
he can see out. The birds were out there in force too, all over
digging up that bread they knew was there yesterday..Dutch
had the best time watching them and I think they enjoyed
provoking him and flying past the window so he could just
about reach out and grab them..

There were squirrels out there too this morning and between
this side window and the one behind the couch he ran himself
to totally tired and had to take a nap.. You can see the little bird
down there and if you could see Dutch as he is watching this
his tail would be going back and forth just twitching madly..When
LB sees and hears him he comes running to see what the boy
is looking at.. By the time I get my cam booted up LB is gone,
He looks for awhile but then goes wandering off to other things
like looking for his girl friend or doing a few circles before he
curls up over on the recliner.. But they both enjoy looking out
side..and this being such an active area they have a good time.
I think the birds and squirrels know the boys cant get at them,
and then almost taunt them as if to say "neener neener" :-)

I wish that screen was off that window but Lewis hasnt taken
it off like he said he would.. I did call today to Chris to find out
when he would be here to do the things needed in the bath
room and to replace the kitchen window. The screen on it is
what causes the tiny squares that can be seen or the wavy
lines.. but it was pretty out there and by this afternoon most of
the snow had melted.. We were not expecting this..not till
next week..isnt that little bush there pretty, all snow covered.

I did manage to get a photo of LB on the bench, isnt he a big
boy? so pretty and soft, I think hes angora, He very seldom
sits still long enough for me to take photos of him.. I did get
a few of him and the boy fighting up here that I may put here
tomorrow.. kids..what would I do without these two? cry a lot
I bet, and just be really lonely... :-)

I didn't get a call from my boy last nite so naturally I phoned
first thing this morning to find out what happened.. I sort of
knew that by the time they got home neither would feel like
making a ton of phone calls to all of us to let us know how
he was.. Apparently the surgery was more involved than was
first thought.. There was severe damage to muscle and nerves
in Donnies ankle..they had to take a patch of skin from his
thigh..They put a cast on him up to his knee and he is NOT
to put any weight, climb stairs..and has to be off work till the
26th.. needless to say my boy is not a happy camper.. He
hates the crutches..as they just are so hard on your arm pits.
I remember that since I tried to use them when I was a sak,
and everyone ran when they saw me come by.. He does
not like being still, I know this will be very hard on him..I did
offer him one of my chairs.. I know his insurance would provide
one for him but I could get my other manual to him faster, as
Dawn could come and get it. I even offered him my potty/shower
chair..he refused that one lol.. but well if it saves him from doing
stairs..he may reconsider.. I asked him if he wanted to come
over here during the day since this house is ok for a chair or
crutches..of course would mean having to put up with me..but
we have always gotten along.. we have the same temperament.
I think that's how you spell it..we understand each other..

I had a wonderful surprise phone call last nite..I was so happy to
get it.. Was from my very best favorite cousin..well one of them..
June.. My Grandpa's brother's daughter.. She and I have always
been very close..and kept in touch.. The past months since I have
moved and all, she got cards she sent to me returned, which I
don't understand since I had a hold and then a change of addy put
on my mail..anyway..she is 88 years old..and still lives by herself
does most of her own housework..shes an amazing lady..She is
the one I used to go to her house every Wednesday and do her
ironing to get spending money for Saturdays-she was a beautician
and also gave piano lessons, that to this day I regret not taking.
I would give anything to be able to play two hands.. She also was
the choir director and would pick me up every Wednesday nite
on the way to choir practice..I sang alto of course..

We talked for over an hour..and she confirmed the fact that we do
have cousins in the UK still in Cambourne..she is sending me
their addresses, in case I am fortunate enough to get to go over
there for a visit to meet them and some of the dear friends I have
over there as well..I am so anxious to find out if they have puters,
then we could get in touch now.. I would really enjoy that. I told
her of the man that had done a check on my grandfather (her
uncle) and that a friend of mine in the UK saw it when she was
doing a check on my family and he got in touch with her and
she informed me..when I gave her the man's name..she knew
him and told me where he lived..out by my cousins he grew up
with.. small world..computers are so wonderful..she was so
surprised at that too ..well she is not familiar with computers
at all and what they are capable of.. makes this huge world very
small ..

Talking about small this post is NOT lol..so I am going to end
this post for today, head to the TV see what I can watch .. I
have NOT done good on that all week..but well when your eyes
slam shut ..not a whole lot you can do except sleep, so that
means sayin..."Nitey Nite" :-)

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? love ya..and Thanks :-)
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

12 Comments:

  • At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest! We are gettin closer!!! England is close but it would be closer if u came to sweden. Dont have relatives here?
    I am sitting here working late and longing for some minutes to chat, but its getting late so i have to finish this, and go back to the hotel for some sleep... Long journey tomorrow. I promise i will dream about my short little gal in kalamazoo tonight. As i allways do!
    Kisses until nexttime... Kisses all over
    ****+*
    Your own
    ROB

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hello Rob :-)
    No I dont have any there although I think my Aunt Gladys did. Not sure though, I hope you drive safely on the trip home,and that you get to feeling better..Get some rest honey and be sure to let me know you arrived home ok. I will worry. Have a nice rest and sweet dreams, yes..of me would be fine :-)
    Take care Rob,
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Lois
    Love the pictures of your boys and the snow and sure glad you have the snow and not us....It was a lot cooler today. Right now it is raining. I got to spend most of the day home, wow sure love that... even got a little work done...
    God bless you Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 3:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Lois, I love the beauty of snow, but in reality I hate it!I can't do anything except stay home when we have snow! I love the pics of your boys. Keep us informed of your sons progress with his ankle op won't you. By the waythe screen didn't interfere with the photo's as much as you thought, did it? Luvs ya from Mave

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary,
    There is always work to do at home..I think its a never ending thing lol..Most of the snow was gone by evening. Good you get some "Mary TIME" or should I say "MERRY TIME"? lol..

    I enjoy taking photos. I need to get another camera now. then I can take some gooder ones lol..

    HEYA MAVIE!!! Miss TARTY!
    So good to hear from you! what a nice surprise! the screen isnt bad just puts those lines in, they prolly will take it off this summer lol, when it is needed. :-) hope all is well by you :-)

    Hope you have a good day :-)
    ALways, Lois ****

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey.
    Love the pics of the boys. The trees sure look beautiful in the snow. We have some promised for here soon, after a very mild month.
    I read somewhere that, when using crutches, you should carry the main weight on your hands, like you do on Canadians? Would that make things more comfortable for Donald? Perhaps he has the crutches set a smidge too long?
    Hope last night was another good one for you. You don't need Beauty Sleep, but you do need Stress Relief Sleep!!!
    Take care, Hon. L.O.L. & G.B.H.from
    Raife

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning Raife,
    Donnie is just not good at being restricted in his activities, hes too hyper. He tries tho.
    Our snow is gone again, but we will moren likely get some more.
    Ive been doing pretty good relieving the stress - most of it is in my telephone. I dont use it much lol..
    Hope you have a good day..
    Take care, so good to hear from you..
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Small bit in this morning's paper ... Scientists world wide report this is/was the wrmest winter on record. A happy something to keep in mind as you look out at the snow.
    Keep cool
    d/p

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi d/p.. I read that too. The snow is gone now..but its cool. Looks nice out though.. good to hear from you..
    Always,Lois****

     
  • At 1:06 AM, Blogger LeoQuestions said…

    Hi again, again:

    My wife is recovering form a year of treating Achille's Tendonitis, and had to try to learn to use crutches for the second time. She used them a couple of days a decade ago for a sprain, and hated them, never learned to use them properly. This go-around, I did some Googling, and learned that the typical American armpit (axillary) style is NOT to be used to support the arms. Nerves can be damaged, either temporary or permanently.

    Set the crutches to a length to leave a couple of inches below the armpit, never to touch at all there and learn to make the crutches press against the ribs just enough to hold their position while walking. I know what you are thinking, I have seen folks putting all their weight on the armpits to get up at all, but they probably had Polio or some other problem with upper body control or strength, and had no other option, except a wheelchair.

    Check out the YouTube for videos of experts using the Canadian or forearm style, very popular out of the USA, and very efficient if upper body strength is normal. They play soccer, fly up and down stairs as many as four steps at a time (I can give you links to see this!)and normal curbs or steps are as nothing, with some practice. I have had to learn this myself (one step at at time only) to coach the wife enough to get her into restaurants without a walker.

    I know this is over the top, but there is a guy in a small W/C who does wild stuff on skateboard ramps etc and even did a backflip! You might get some laughs from this video, "Extreme Wheelchair"

    BTW, Wright-Phillipis totally fell from grace with us as they did not come up with a walker our doctor prescribed, so I was forced to invent and build one in time to get her mobile in the house when a non-walking cast was needed. I used Schedule-80 PVC pipe, four casters, and a bike seat. It worked perfectly, looks like it came new from a factory, and she loved it, especially around the kitchen, total maneuverability. Sorry, I have a tendency to invent things, and disappear into the shop.

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger LeoQuestions said…

    Hi Lois, again, again, again!

    Just re-read about crutch newbies, the hate, the armpits, etc. I located one video of a Russian gal who posts a lot of videos, and is probably the most graceful user you could see. On YouTube search for anything from "Tatiana" and especially "Tatiana Hillwallking" and you might be encouraged by her totally smooth and apparently effortless walking.

    Her body does not swing forward and back at all and this seems to be the secret to looking confident on crutches, and might be a very efficient use of energy as well, as no effort is wasted in making the torso swing. All the work should go into moving the body smoothly forward, not tipping forward and back at each step. Think about the physics! I can later describe the way to learn this if needed, it is a bit counter-intuitive at first.

    My wife is so afraid of falling, she has great difficulty allowing her body to just swing through to the next step. Each step is an independent task, just like using a walker, step, pause, step, pause, etc. Lots of energy wasted making the body accelerate and then stop.

    Try driving your car like that, and the passengers will throw you out at the next AAA office. Your tired body might be saying the same thing. :-(

    The Canadian (forearm) style crutch is a bit more expensive than the wood or aluminum cheapies, but I think much more adaptable to walking tasks, because they can be directed wherever needed, without being glued to the ribs. Climbing stairs is not hard to learn, descending is a bit more terrifying, but still can be done with a bit of coaching.

    The first thing is to always keep pressure on the grips to force the forearm into firm contact with the upper end, all the time. Watch the Europeans, they do not use the full ring around the arm, just a plastic extension to center the arm, below the elbow, and it works perfectly! It is easier to get out of the crutch when working, no clumsy ring to wrestle with.

    Stairs - You really need to practice balancing on the flat floor first, try to lift both feet without tipping over, as long as possible, only a couple of seconds will do for now. That is enough to go up or down a step at a time. Just do not let the heels catch on the step edge.

    Before a step it taken up or down, remember to put the crutch on the lower step, let the legs do the work, not the arms. I have links to examples of good and bad stair work.

    If adjusted to the correct length, walking on flat ground feels very smooth, no up-and-down bobbing, no torso jerking, just feels like gliding along; thank you, Tatiana, and Debbie too, for demonstrating.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Leonard,,
    I used crutches when I was a RAK (right above knee) amputee, and I learned to put the weight on my hands. I still was very clumsy, and never fell but came close.. As a DAK I dont have prosthetics..I only use a wheel chair now. Donnie is on crutches, he is having a hard time getting around with them, hes finding out doing with out one leg is not easy.. I know Tatiana..who she is.

    I agree about Wright Filippis, and I hate that i have to deal with them.. they tried to tell me what I want..I know what I want ..lol..I should have a choice.. I hope I will when I get a new bed that I can pick and choose what I want.
    I plan to call my insurance today and see where everything is..

    THanks for writing Leonard..nice to hear from you .. :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker