ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

~Ba-Ta-Wa-Ga-Ma~


During the summer there was a youth camp that kids from all over
could go to for 2 weeks. I eagerly went.All kinds of things to do, stay
in cabins with other kids...The name of the lake was Indian Lake
and the name of the Youth Camp was Ba-Ta-Wa-Ga-Ma.. It was
fun.Just like some are portrayed in Movies.. I learned to swim in
this lake and at that camp. The sign above is to point to a public
boat launch and a picnic area. Most of the Lake signs were like
this up there. The near by lake of Chicaugon had a Indian burial
ground, and was a great place to picnic..it still is-called Pentoga
Park. 1100 acre lake and over 100 feet deep. Lots of Northern
and Muskies in that lake.its just to the west of Indian Lake. There
is a song by the Cowsills, called Indian Lake and that is one of my
favorites and just really goes with this little spot of heaven I think.
I was young when I started going there, The note below I wrote
while I was at Summer Camp...

The date is 1954.. This letter was among the papers that my mother
kept..Amazing that she did, I had no idea they were tucked away all
these years and so carefully preserved, fun to read now, years later.

The road down to the lake was just dirt, and it wasnt far off the
main one, which you can see behind the sign. At the end of
it was a small area to picnic and put in a boat if you wanted or
even to swim..The bottom of the lake was sandy and there were
alot of fish. The Youth Camp was over across the lake from this
picnic area...There were, perhaps changed now, but not alot of
people really lived around this lake as it wasnt very big as you can
see just about most of it except a little on each side of that photo.
I dont know WHO was in the boat...lol... But its a great little lake
and why its my favorite of all the dozens up there I really dont know
except perhaps its because of the Youth Camp and all the fun I
had there then and even later as an adult...

I've put this photo here before but this is Indian Lake too, you see there
are not alot of cottages around the lake.. right here where im standing
is a bit rocky but this is the boat launch is why :-) Where the bottom of
my shorts come to is about where my legs have been amputated..well
the right one is a bit shorter than the left though. This is NOT my
greatest photo ..but...I was havin fun.. I fell in shortly after this was taken..
I stepped on something and I always was a tender foot, I sat my butt right
down in that water lol. Im glad my ex didn't take a picture of THAT!! no
one else was really around and we just splashed and had a great time,
the water was warm and so clear...felt good on a hot day... :-)

I didnt really realize I had the summer and winter pictures of
Indian Lake..Im glad I do..now you can see the difference but
the same.. lol.. They keep this little roadway cleared in the
winter because as you see out there on the Ice, this lake does
freeze, and thats a car and people, looks like a 3 wheeler out
there as well.. Ice fishing...Many, many people prefer Ice fishing
because alot dont have boats and in the winter well you see..
they can go anywhere out there on that lake and fish. Use those
gas powered augers and they're set.. My ex LOVED to ice fish.
Me? no way, I was NOT going out there on that ice..I dont care
if the whole lake down to the bottom was froze I am NOT going
out there..be my luck the second I did the whole lake would melt..
nope..I DONT like ice fishing..All the lakes up there would freeze.
and ice fishing is a biggie,, they almost put up whole ice towns
on some of the lakes..with all the ice shacks.

As hot as its been here its kinda nice to see that snow..lol.. I
dont mind the heat as long as I can be in air conditioning lol..I
hate these storms though..the past few weeks , well I have NOT
been the happiest of campers with as close as some of these
have been getting.. Scares me. I watch the weather sometimes
and see how its not just us up here that the weather is changing
so drastically, up north never used to be such scorching heat like
now..even here. these awful storms.. Seems like they are hitting
Lake Michigan over there and I mean just build up such power
by the time they get to land the are really bad bad storms. But
no matter where you live anymore if its not fires, or floods or
drought, or hurricanes..tornados.. theres NO place that doesnt
have some kind of CRAP weather...

I Splurged and Raelynn got us lunch from Kentucky Fried Chicken,
one of those bowls..they are SO good.has every thing there, mashed
potatoes, corn, chicken and GRAVY .. Its really good.. I get the extra
gravy though..it does need it.. First time Raelynn had one, was today
and she really liked it.. If you can find that song, Indian Lake..you will
enjoy it..its an oldie but a goodie and it really is one of my very best
favorites. You want it I could even send it to you... just drop me a email
and I will send it.. I did get extra biscuits so I am going to have one of
those and some iced tea.. watch tv for a while,, haha ya..say it,
Soon as I lay this head down, these eyes will slam shut...lol..
Hope you liked seeing my very best favorite lake... nitey nite ;-)


Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? luv ya..and thanks.. :-)
Always, Lois ****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...



4 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    I love that your mom saved your camp letter. That was fun to read.

    I also enjoyed the summer/winter photo pair. Was one of them intentionally taken from the same spot to mirror the other?

    Nice photo of yo in shorts. I also though about your stumps versus your legs when I viewed the photo, much as you mentioned in the text following the photo. Beautiful both ways.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    morning Gray,
    I thought that was pretty neat she did that..she kept alot of stuff of mine I was surprised at all I found.. I must have written notes constantly to them lol...

    I didnt realize I had done that until I looked at them alot later.. I was so glad I had..soon as we pulled off the
    main road I took one, the winter one I wanted cuz of the ice fishing lol.. We went to that lake alot..You
    can look up camp Batawagama in Iron County on the web..even a little video there of it.. its a great place for kids.. That song Indian Lake fits this one exactly..why I love that song... I wish I could have put it in this blog lol..
    Thanks :-) I like before and after photos...
    Hope your having a good day..raining today...from one extreme to the other it seems lol...
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest Lois!
    A fast one i just at home checkin mail and you!
    Strange thing, this that i am glad you stepped on something, and started to loose legs....
    For if not, i am not shure we would have met... And that had been a pity...
    KAO
    ***+*
    YOur own
    ROB

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Rob..
    So nice to hear from you again...For what ever reason we met, I am glad..:-)
    Always, Lois****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker