ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

~One Of My Favorite Lakes~


This is a favorite lake, called Ice Lake. its not very big as you can see,
but its very deep. It has all kinds of fish, depends which part of the lake
you go to, across on that far side its very shallow-over to the very left
is the beach, great swimming...I rode my bike out to this lake so many
times during the hot summers. But it wasnt really that far. I dont know
miles..but to ride my bike took me 45 minutes to get there, depending
how fast I peddled and if it was hot? well. I just peddled my patootie
off lol.I got there as fast as I could. The lake was not far from the town
where I lived and the one at the bottom of the hill-kinda in between.
Way down on the far left side..theres a motel..a few cabins..and you
can rent a room and get a boat- just fall out the room into the boat and
just fish all day long. lol. well night too if you want to- many fished at
night. But isnt that a gorgeous photo? was taken just as the sun was
going down we were probly gonna fish until after dark.Beautiful place.

We hauled that 14 foot boat in the back of our pickup truck.fit great.My
ex just kept it in there all summer long..didnt stick out very far in a
long bed pickup..we would back up and just pull the boat out, drop it
down and drag it into the water, you can see the kinda sandy shore
there. Thats my ex making sure he has his "TACO BOX" in the boat
lol... I wish I had a dollar for every time I tugged and help to lift that
boat in and out of that truck..I would be VERY rich now lol. I did that
many many times.. That boat only cost $50.oo we got a great deal on it
and it sure provided many many hours of fun for me and my ex and all
our friends that enjoyed fishing in it or just going for a ride.
Was really great...

To prove I did NOT fib, I found a photo of the Northern Pike I caught
out of this lake. Its up on the wall behind me..It was 32 inches long , I
dont know the weight other than to say by the time I hauled that
puppy to the boat after almost an hour I WAS pooped lol... That thing
fought me like I was gonna mount it on my wall and he knew it lol..and
see who won?? :-).. By the time I fought that fish I was ready to go
home.If you have never fought a Northern Pike.they're very agressive
fish, and will fight up to the very end. We were both proud of this fish,
wanted it mounted, cost $150.oo to put that fish on that piece of drift
wood. I dont have that fish now, Im hoping its still hanging on my ex's
wall..I know hes telling EVERYONE I caught it too lol... I did..really..

This is me my grandpa and grandma and my cousin Willard. I
had just caught that fish, its not very big, but look at my gramma's
face, shes just smilin.. I do remember this.. I was showing my
grandpa that I COULD catch fish just like he did..you see the
pole in his hand.. This was a great photo of him..this is how he
always looked..his cigarette, and a fishing pole- his favorite hat
and that sweater..Gramma, well that was her, she never fished
though..just was a watcher. The fish is that dark spot down close
to the ground lol.. almost didnt see it did ya? lol..well was a fish,
THAT was the main thing, but look at MY face, im sayin.."This
ISNT very BIG Grandpa" ...I kinda look a little disappointed, but
I caught it and I needed him to take it off my hook!!! THAT part
STILL is the same, Im not good at touchin fish, or worms n stuff,
but I still love to fish, I just cant go by myself lol.. well I can if I use
lures and gloves !! :-D lol....

To live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan you HAVE to be an
outdoors person or go nuts.. Where I lived was in the middle of
a National Forest...well the whole UP is nothing but forest and
lakes.. Now, even the winter is great fun, ice fishing and snow
mobile races on the frozen lakes, skiing is a biggie-cross country
or at the Brule Mountain Ski Hill, great place, and some of the
cutest cabins to stay in.. When we moved away we went back up
there for weekends alot and would stay at the different places..
Ski Brule was very popular, in the winter.My dad helped build
that place and I think I still have a couple cousins that work there,
one is on the skipatrol I believe.. I sat in the lodge, I was NOT
good on skis..And Ice fishing? no..I didnt do that either, but I
LOVE it up there. God's Country..

Last nite was awful again for the storms.. Thank God we only got
the tail end..but was bad enough to knock out half the power in
town here. We were spared.. Raelynn came by at 8 am to see
if I was ok, said she saw so many trees down was scarey.. My
niece lives farther up on Lake Michigan and I was really worried
about her.. that's where that storm came on land from the lake..
She saw a massive water spout dance around out there on the
lake.. Damage was heavy up in that area. We have been so
lucky I shouldn't say anything..I know these storms are getting
worse.. 70 mile an hour winds last nite..awful..Im an adult and
this CRAP scares the HELL otta me. Don't I sound like a big
baby.. it is scary if you have NO where to hide..to protect your
self THATS what really bothers me.. But we made it through
another one..so that's all that matters.. we are safe and sound.

Sounds like my kitchen is calling :-) I cant help it..lunch? well
it was its usual "GUESS" Im not real hungry but something
light would be good.. I dug out my old cushion and this sure
seems to be helping.. I am SO GLAD!!! :-) I think Dutch
heard the kitchen calling too.. hes off and headed out there,
they BOTH know the routine.. when they hear this keyboard
stop this time of day..I think THATS how they know.. Cats
cant read lol. :-) although sometimes I do have doubts lol..
Nitey Nite...:-)

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? luv ya.. and Thanks...
ALways, Lois ****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

7 Comments:

  • At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To live in isolation and not go nuts: I knew a woman from Long Island who was a nurse and she married a Dr. They moved to an Indian reservation out in the southwest. She said that listening to the local NPR radio station kept her in touch with the world. Now with satellite radio and tv she could have the world at her fingertips. I do not fish. I would rather buy my fish and spend my time cooking it.

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lois
    Great picture. Fisher-people are just the best and it tells in your stories. You obviously enjoyed your outdoors. Reckon it helps keep you sane. No wonder a lot of city folk lose it. They need to get in the outdoors more.
    Went boating in the ocean last Sunday (hope the main man wont hold it against me). Caught a blue cod wonderful eating fish even better smoked.
    Great day to be at sea even though it is winter. didn't see any icebergs fortunately.
    Pleased to hear that you are getting better. Keep up the good work.
    Regards RJ

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    Nie stories. makes me think of my lake.

    I'm glad you got through the storms OK. One of the neighboring towns was badly dameged by wind and bardball-sized hail last week.

    Take care!

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning!
    Fishing I think is a great relaxer, time to just sit and enjoy where you are, and what your doing..

    My brother smokes fish, salmon and I forget what other kind. The NorthernPike like I caught, some dont like to eat them as they are very boney, many like it pickeled.

    There are alot of nice lakes here where I live now, not far from me. Donnie lives on a nice one, has a pontoon and its got LOTS of good eating fish in it he says. All he has to do now is find the time to go fishing, hes finding out the joys of owning your own home lol..

    Lots of damage around us in the neighboring areas, still without power today. No power I think I would be bored, I think I would sleep alot. :-)

    Hope y'all have a great day,take care,
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger Gray said…

    Your post made me think of Woodie Guthrie's Talking Fishing Blues

    It's very hard to appreciate without hearing him sing it. It makes a lot more sense that way, and is quite clever and charming. If you are not from the US or are too young to know what he sang like, all I can do is recommend you to the compilations of his songs. In used CD stores everywhere.


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I went down to the fishing hole,
    And I set down with my fishing pole;
    Somethin' grabb'd my hook and it got my bait
    And Jerked me out in the middle of the lake.
    Huh it was some jump boy,
    I got sunk, kinda baptized on credit.

    Fishin' down on th' muddy bank,
    Felt a pull an' give a big yank,
    I drug out three old rubber boots,
    A Ford radiator an' a Chevrolet coop
    (Nothin' but Junk, so I handed it in
    For National Defence).

    Settin' in a boat with a bucket of beer,
    Hadn't caught nuthin' but didn't much care,
    I guess I was pretty well satisfied,
    Had my little woman right by my side
    (Takin' it easy, just waitin'
    Worm been gone off-a that hook for a couple of hours.
    I was busy).

    When you go fishin', tell y' what to do,
    Go set down by the grassy dew,
    Take a piece of string, tie it on yo' pole,
    Throw it way out in th' middle of th' hole.
    Find you a good shady tree and then just set down.
    (Go to sleep, forget all about it
    Can't catch nuthin' here anyways.)

    Well I walked out to a sandy bar,
    And I caught myself a big alligator gar,
    Drug him home across my back,
    Tail was dragging a mile and a half,
    Flippin' an' floppin'. I sold him for a quarter.
    (Shot craps, got in Jall.)

    Jumped in the river and went down deep,
    There was a hundred pound cat-fish lying there asleep,
    Well I jumped on his back and rode him all aroun'
    Saddled him up and I came into town.
    People came runnin', lookin', dogs a-barkin'
    (Kids a-squallin').

    Early one mornin' I took me a notion,
    To go out fishin' in the middle of the ocean,
    Well, throwed me a line, I got me a shark,
    I didn't get him home till way past dark.
    (Was he a man-eater, tough customer.
    But he wasn't quite tough enough.)

    Late last night I had me a dream,
    I was out fishin' in a whiskey stream,
    Baited my hook with apple-jack,
    Threw out a drink, drug a gallon back.
    (Done pretty good till the creek run dry.
    I give the fish back to the finance company.)

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Gray said…

    For another couple of week you can hear it on the July 14 broadcast of Mystery Train on the Saint Lois radio station, KDHX: http://www.kdhx.org/programs/mystery.htm

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Gray,
    Yes, hes good and I enjoy him, Ive not heard that one though thanks...I love music..always have...its good for the soul I think..

    Hope you had a good day and stayed cool... :-)
    ALways, Lois****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker