ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Thursday, July 20, 2006

~A Great State~


Ive been writing about places that are my favorites and some that are
just so beautiful... that you just cant forget how great they were. When
I was living in California in that HOT place..:-) one of the crew's wives
wanted to drive back to Louisiana to go to her oldest sister, last one of
5 girls to get married, and attend the wedding..she had a 4 year old
son she wanted to take..but was afraid of that long drive all by herself,
so she invited me to go with her.. Well..fooey, a chance to get away from
that HEAT? yeah buddy I packed my stuff so fast, I was READY to go,
plus I had never been way down in Louisiana...

The 3 of us had a great time..We left in the middle of the night
to avoid the heat and the drive there was great..we joked and
laughed and even her son was a good traveller which was
surprising as you know how kids are sometimes.. I kept asking
about the people there and the area..Laura tried to describe the
place where we were going..which was a VERY small town way
down into Louisiana. The exact name of it, I honestly dont know,
but I know it was close to the gulf. The way she described it, it
sounded so nice, she had grown up there, but when I saw it?
she in NO way did it justice..The town was just excellent and
really just beautiful...

It was a small town, but the beauty of the area was just awesome
the trees with moss, and houseboats in these rivers where they
lived, It was just great ! One thing I did notice was the accent. I
have to admit I did say a few times "what did you say?" Very
strong accent, to me anyway. But was so nice to hear.The people
were so friendly and of course everyone knew everyone and it
seemed the whole town went to that wedding and reception..I had
a great time, danced and danced, when the reception finally ended
Laura and I and a friend of hers and her 2 cousins all decided to
check out some of the local hot spots... We went to a few really
nice places...

While we were going from one place to the other, Laura's cousin
that was in the back seat (2 door car) kept saying "ope pee de doe"
I did NOT understand a thing he said..I thought he was singing...
Laura did too, she kept on driving.. Finally we get to another night
club and before I could do anything he screams again "OPE PEE
DEE DOE" I had NO idea what hes saying.. Finally he grabs my
shoulder says VERY slowly "OPEN THE DOOR" I turned looked
at him and hes almost GREEN...lol.. I grabbed that door handle
and I mean I got OUT of the WAY!!! lol...We laughed so hard about
that..lol. I really had a hard time understanding and I had to listen
VERY carefully to what was being said to me... :-)

Her cousins lived in a houseboat that was in a river tied to the shore.
We got on it and looked around and I have to say I was so amazed
at how huge it was and just gorgeous...Fixed up so nice and easily
accessible for a chair even, now that I think about it.. What a way to
live..in a houseboat and travel all the rivers and byways..All her
cousins did was untie it and go somewhere else when ever they
wanted to .. It was really great...Lots of people lived in them I saw
them all over, some small, some huge, when they tied up most were
at a friends or family I guess and would connect to power etc..What
a way to live..that would almost be as good as having one of those
big huge busses that Donnie told me about that Monaco Coach
makes.. I sure would love to have one of those, just travel around
the rest of my days.. a different city or town every day...be great..
think of all the places a person could go..*sigh*

We spent 4 days down there in the bayou's and one thing I didnt
mention was the music..LORDY ,.. I LOVE cajun music..talk about
some songs that can even get MY invisible feet to tappin.. I love
it, there is just no way you cant get happy when you listen to a great
cajun song... Was beautiful down there, one of the most gorgeous
places I have to say I have been, those old plantation houses so
massive and white against that wonderful green of the bayous.. A
beautiful place...Now I would NOT want to be there in hurricane time
but those houseboats would really be the way to go..get one of those
and well just up anchor and move to a safe spot.house and all.THATS
the way to do it, then for sure all your stuff is safe.. When I hear of
the hurricanes hitting down there I think of that little town. the great
people there, and I sure hope theyre ok.

Today was and still is rainy.. we go from one extreme to the other..I
sure could tell it was going to rain.. My scar on my left stump has been
acting up and I have been watching it very closely lately. I accidentally
used a cream for dryness that I had forgotten aggravates that scar.
It was so dry, I put it on, and now it is really letting me know that was
NOT the right kind to use.. Its really agitated so I will have to keep a
close watch..If it went back to the kind of infection I had before? I
honestly dont know if I could handle that again. I honestly dont. it was
some of the most horrendous pain I have ever felt..I cannot go back
there.. So I am watching it..every time I go to the bathroom I check it
and make sure its covered and I have thrown that cream away just
so I dont use it again...

Time to check out my kitchen and make sure its all snug and secure
for the night lol..well ? that sounds like a good reason to go out
there I think..well thats my story anyway and I'm stickin to it...I may
have to check out the inside of my fridge and make sure its secure
too..oh and of course the pantry :-) Let the nightly lockdown begin lol
Nitey nite :-)


Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? luv ya...and thanks...
Always, Lois ****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

4 Comments:

  • At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    memories: I remember travelling on the 2-lane highways before there were any interstates or motor routes. There was interesting primitive advertising such as Pete's cafe, Booneville, Missouri or Burma shave. Bugs Bunny was the only source for Brooklyn dialect. (Mel Blanc - the voice over - was from Oregon.)

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Morning Momar... :-)
    I remember the Burma Shave signs..In fact I have some of them in my puter.. theyre so cute.. Ive been looking for the song..I think Roger Miller sings it.. Was really cute...
    I bet your great at Trivia lol...:-)
    Paint your Orange Door yet? lol..I cant wait to see a photo :-)
    Have a good day !
    ALways, Lois ****

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    Oh I remember those Burma Shave signs from when I was a kid.

    You have to be careful with creams: My niece once spotted an unlabeled small plastic container in my car with white cream in it. She borrowed it and put it on a nasty rash. It was white lithium grease that I kept there for bicycle repairs. She didn't like it much.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Gray,
    Oh no I bet she didnt!! This left scar is very touchy and I should know by now..like i say..I'm slow but i'm sure..I WILL learn eventually lol...

    Hope your havin a good day :-)
    Always, Lois****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker