ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

~Her Opinion~

I was looking up the phone number to my favorite restaurant
today and there was a comment..well a review of it that some
person name Theresa had posted about the Oasis here in
town.. I have to admit.. I had to join this book place called
Judy's book to be able to comment on this Theresa's book.
I tried to be very nice..but I was so upset with her biased
comment.. She said the food was so so and rather costly
and said the service was AWFUL, that she had to BEG
for a coffee refil and complained about the smoke.. Well..
you know me.. I had to write and give my 2 cents and tell
her I thought she had overlooked ONE very good point
about my favorite place.. that it is TOTALLY wheel chair
accessible, she made NO mention of that fact..

I found the food wonderful..the staff was 4 star, very very attentive
and I never had to beg or even ask for coffee the waiter was
always asking me.. the food, is fairly priced cheaper than the
place I will NEVER go into again..APPLEBEES.. The Oasis
is very open and the last time I was there I saw 2 other people in
there in chairs.. its very open and easy to navigate and even
the bathroom was great.. This THeresa made NO mention of
that fact at all. Perhaps her not being in a chair she doesn't think
of looking at that fact..I hope she does NOW!! I think that is the
problem with a lot of people they are not around chair people
and don't KNOW..

I went to Applebees..and waited for the girl to come and show us
to a table..they led us along the UPPER level..to a far corner by
the door in and out of the kitchen.. far from view from anyone..
EVery time someone came out of the kitchen, naturally carrying
a tray of food..or plates of it.. the door would swing open and hit
my chair every time till I was ready to scream. I did NOT enjoy my
VERY expensive food, in fact I don't remember what I ate, I was
so upset that I insisted that we leave. I told the girl when she came
to bring the check how I felt about where they sat me..she asked
why I did not complain sooner when I was put there.. well I was
informed THAT was the only place they had that could fit a chair..
I will NEVER go back to APPLEBEEs and I hope the owner or
whomever does a survey of their place and make it better for some
one like us.. and KEEP that table open so only chair people can
sit there.. that's a lot of the problem of these places..they find ONE
spot a chair will fit..but if they get crowed well anyone can sit there,
they have smoking sections..why not wheelchair tables?

Raelynn and I went in her sisters' KIA..its a high off the ground car
well suv I think, and I had to be up on a curb to be able to use my
board to get into it and slide across its so high up off the ground..we
drove ..well she did all the way to Sturgis about 35 miles to go to
Wal Mart, we got there and there was NO where for me to get back
into the KIA.. I made sure of that before I got out.. we cruised along
the whole front of that huge place and the whole doorway was flat
with the ground.. Not everyone has a ramp or a low car, so I had
no way of getting back in the KIA, so I wasn't getting out..and the
closest place to where there was a curb was about a block away,
well I would have had to roll across a road and half the parking lot
to get into that store..you KNOW what I did.. we left..If I had legs I
wouldn't walk that far even to be able to shop at Wal Mart..We
came back here and went to Meijers they have a curb..

Its the same tomorrow.. I have to be at my Dr at 10 am .. when I
roll into that small waiting room they have NO place for a chair
either so I sit in there in the way of everyone and steady have to
move the more people come in. That makes me SO MAD.. I
go even over to the lab at the hospital to get blood work done..
same thing.. they have NO places for a chair.. I roll in and they
have to rearrange it to find a spot for me to sit and wait or I let
them know and get huffy and then I get taken right away I think
just to shut me up..

This is what I mean.. people with no contact or even those with,
like my Dr. they don't THINK of this stuff.. and a Dr? or a hospital?
now .. that is just not acceptable.. and then I get asked WHY don't
you go out Lois..go get some fresh air.. I did manage to get into
a wal mart when I was in a lower car..and I got stuck in their aisles
so bad I had to move the whole shelf thingie to be able to move
around.. This is a major issue and I KNOW I am not the only one
that has encountered this..

I left a comment on this Theresa's Book thru a place called Judy's
book.. I had to join it..but I am deleting it as it seems a biased
commentary place as far as im concerned.. I plan to unjoin as
soon as I see a reply from this woman that made such severe
criticism on a great place.. No answer yet.. But I did send a link
to this blog and that is why I am writing about this tonite I hope
she reads this..and maybe she will realize there are MORE than
able bodied people out there. She mentioned also about the
cigarette smoke.. I used to smoke..alot..I don't anymore but if
someone has a problem with smelling smoke then avoid the
place and don't go.. until all this stuff started about it no one paid
any attention to the smoke smell or what ever anyway.sit farther
away from that section then..that's my opinion anyway..

Ive been stewing about this all day and I sure got into a snit about
it. Tomorrow is soon approaching and the closer it gets the...
well attitude I am getting about being FORCED to go to the Dr.
I don't like being FORCED to do anything. but If I don't go then
this new Dr wont say I am still disabled and need a power chair
that runs.. Kim at Wright Filippis said he has to approve it and
HAS to see me..I bet my insurance loves having to pay for a
Dr visit because even though I have gone to that office for 5
years now..they still have to see my legs havent grown back..It
amazes me what I have to go thru.. I plan to not be very nice
when I do get there and plan to state my opinion about it .. why
did no one tell me this 4, 5 months ago?

Well I guess I can get down off this soapbox and I hope that little
lady reads this, I hope they all do.. I don't recommend a place
bad or good until I consider it all..too bad all these places don't
take time to THINK.. I wonder how nervous those girls are over
at my Dr's knowing Im coming there tomorrow no matter what.


Its very early posting tonite for me again but I have to go and
lay it down and get some rest. I know this is the only thing that
will help relieve this stress from me.. My boys are already in
there.. I wonder if they can read my mind? I wouldn't be a bit
surprised. lol.. time to say again "nitey nite"

Y'all have a good one Y'hear? love ya.. and thanks :-)
ALways, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

22 Comments:

  • At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Honey dont you get upset about that Theresa's blog... People are so UN-thankful, all except me.... I AM SO THAKFUL I MET YOU, and who wouldnt be after gettin to know you. Have a good nights sleep and dream about me, my dearest brave and intelligent Lois.
    KAO´s
    ****+*
    Your ownest
    Robert
    (one of your nice Roberts)

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I go to a new restaurant or concert hall - I evaluate wheel-chair accessibility and the exits. When I was 6 years old, I was near a fire in school. My dad always said plan your emergency exit in case of a fire. There are several nite-clubs in NYC with inadequate fire exits I always try to sit near the door.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Lois
    It to bad you couldn't have ask the doctor for a prescription for the wheelchair from a phone call...sometimes doctor do it that way, but not all of them.

    There are stores I don't take Becky in because of the aisle are so small or there is always boxs in the way.

    There is no way to put Becky on the table to get examine anymore at a doctor offices either. The home health nursing has to come and check it out and she can talk to the doctor and get help that way.
    At restaurant Becky and Pam get the best care, they go out of there way to please them....and Pam is hard to please.

    Most places don't have easy accessible for the wheelchair, even when they think they do.

    Most places are to crowd anyway, you have to watch your chair not to hit the person chair behind you. And there sure no way a wheelchair can get in there. You have to have a side aisle where the people walk...
    My friend Patsy had to have a curb to get her husband in or out of there car. Then she repark the car while they were in the restaurant.
    And I though I had problem getting Becky in and out of the Van with the side lift. So many times I had to back up my Van to get Becky back in the Van, in the line of traffic...the other car came to close for me to put Becky back in.

    There is no way all handicap parking or bathroom going to meet everyone handicap problem. Sure wish it could be so, sure would make life easier.
    I try not to get upset when thing goes wrong.
    Lois you can get little ramp that car go up on, that might take care of your problem with the curb. Unless it way to high, just a thought.
    I wish life wasn't so hard at time.
    I guess that what make us.
    You have a great night Lois and stay warm.
    God bless you.
    Mary

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Morning Rob,
    No, I very politely told her she needed to evaluate a place on everything not just HER personal views. And yes, you most certainly are, :-)

    Hi Momar,

    Most people that are not around or involved with wheel chair people dont take into consideration our needs. Before I can go anywhere I have to evaluate whether I can get in or out of the vehicle safely, and that where ever I am going I can get in and out. I do the same thing Momar, I think its smart to do, first thing I look for are the exits no matter where I am going..

    Hi Mary,
    Its not easy any way you go in a chair. And most that arent dont take that into consideration, they claim to but until they actually are involved with it have NO idea what it is even possibly like.

    Ive been calling my dr now for 5 months to get him to ok my new chair, he or his office staff are refusing someone is, so today I have to go and its pouring rain, foggy and cold, I am not pleased at all, and do plan to inform this new dr of it as well...

    I always get told, "go out more,go shopping, go.." this is one reason I dont go. I went once, and the store said they would have someone go with me, she was so rude and all she kept asking "are you done yet?" I prefer to stay home or in the yard ..this summer with a porch all screened in will be so nice for us, thats where I will go. or to my favorite restaurant the Oasis lol, well a ride might be nice too, I love rides in the country, its a very favorite thing to do.

    Hope you have a good day, stay warm and dry :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Lois
    I hope you told that Wal Mart place how rude that person was. Hoping that won't happen to anyone else.
    I got a perm last night, it sure is curly.
    Hope this will be a good day for you at the doctor office....
    Mary

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning Mary,
    Oh yes, I told them :-) Yes, it will be a good one, I KNOW theyre waiting for me lol. I hope Penny gets here in time cuz I cant get to my coat, and its foggy and very cold out.. maybe the driver will get it for me..always something :-)

    Ive never had a permanent..I Have naturally curly hair, and a perm would ruin it..so Ive never had one. It will loosen...

    Hope you have a good day today..
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lois I love it curly, most of the time I can get 3 hair cut before I need another perm.
    It so wonderful you have naturally curly hair, wish I did.
    Going to clean the church now...
    Good Luck with the doctor.
    Mary

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Thanks Mary,
    I went and am back ordered to bed rest or go to the emergency room is what she really wanted me to do.. I was reaching the exploding point.. my BP is extremely high..211/112.. I didnt go and agreed to come home and go to bed, for awhile..I dont have a lap top..I took a pill and my bP its down a tad..189/96 better. :-) not to worry.. I will fill in the rest on the blog tonite.. :-) theres more lol..
    thanks my friend for being concerned about me..means alot to me :-)
    Luv ya..
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Hon.
    That B.P. Sounds REAL BAD. I do hope you can manage to unwind to-day. When I was with my Russian friend last summer, I got fed up with the feeble excuses that various places made for not complying with the law, passed in this country in 2004. "This is a listed building (on of special architectural merit) so we can't put in a lift or a ramp" which is absolute rubbish. If firms would put as much effort into adapting buildings for the disabled as they put into ducking the issue, things could be a lot better.
    It makes me SO mad, and I'm not disabled!!
    Sorry. That's my two-pennywoth for to-day. Take care, my high explosive Weeble. I hope you didn't give that doctor too hard a time!!! L.O.L. & G.B.H. from
    Raife

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Raife,
    I was very nice and polite and got the doc to sign the papers..she seemed to think the money was coming out of her pocket she asked WHY i really needed one lol.. oh well papers are hopefully done and on their way .. hope hope ..

    I will be good and try to unstress hard tho..not till all is done can I really stop, ill just go slower and calmer? lol..

    Hope you had a good day..
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger teresajoy said…

    Lois, I am so sorry that I seem to have upset you so by my personal review on Judy's Book. I believe I have seen you around town, if I see you again, I'll say hi. :0) Let me just explain something though. Judy's Book is just a site where normal people go to review a product or business they've visited. It is solely based on personal experiences and opinions, that's why my review seemed biased, it was. You have joined Judy's Book, so you can now post your own review of the Oasis and Applebee's or any other product, place or service you want. I think it would be great if you did, because it is always nice to get someone elses opinion on things. That's what Judy's Book is all about, people in a community sharing their experiences. I'm just a regular customer, just like you. I won't even get upset with you for spelling my name wrong ;-)

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Teresa,
    Sorry for the misspelling. scuze me? NORMAL people??? im normal..just missing 2 legs, I guarantee you I am Very normal.. I wasnt mad..but to really review a place I just think everything should be taken into consideration, from every point of view.. To give an honest evaluation of a place. There are so many wheelchair people that that is a major issue is the accessibity of a place... many dont see that. No, I dont think is me you see in town I very seldom go out..only to my doctors. I only joined Judys book to comment on yours. lol.. it seems I have gotten a reaction however by some others ..and dont like my response to you.. we all have our own opinions. and thats a good thing..but we have to consider everything..that they would treat me better than you as the lady in CA says. I disagree with that too. I am no better than you..and vice versa.. we all gotta live ..and just do the best we can.. but i still LOVE THe OASIS..and trust me I am VERY normal.. and I DO resent THAT word..that was a BAD choice to use with me .....
    Hope you have a good day :-)
    ALways, Lois ****

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger teresajoy said…

    You really do look quite familiar. My use of the world normal was only meant to let you know that I am not a professional reviewer. I wasn't saying you were not normal. Once again, I'm going to restate that Judy's Book is for reporting your personal experience with something, just like your blog here. I think your insite would be a nice addition to Judy's Book.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Teresa,
    Perhaps because I was in the newspaper here, I dont go out only to my dr. A while back when I had a way to go I did go to the Oasis, and tried to get into WalMart..thats about all Perhaps you were there at the Oasis the same day I was, having lived in both worlds perhaps I see most everything from all sides and views. No offense to you intended at all. Everyones views and comments whether the same as mine or not. I only joined the book place to comment, seems I stirred up a little controversy and I apologize. I do plan to unjoin..I dont do well in those sort of things as I do have a tendency to be a tad outspoken.. and I do sincerely hope you have a nice day even though its not that great a day here outside as Im sure you can see since we both live here lol..
    Take care Teresa..you need feedback on chair life? let me know :-)
    Have a great week end..
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you're very selfish and hypocritical, Lois. How dare you expect everyone to view the world from the eyes of a person who's in a wheelchair when you don't give the same respect to people who have asthma or COPD or any other medical problem that causes them to have a problem breathing. A person who isn't in or has never experienced life from a wheelchair can't possibly know what to look for when deciding if a business is accessible.

    One would think that because you've faced physical adversity you would be sensitive to the needs of a person who has difficulty breathing around cigarette smoke. But no, you think that entire group of people (which includes children and pregnant women) should just "avoid the place and [not] go" if there is an abundance of cigarette smoke in the air. Obviously if anyone said that about a business which is inaccessible to people in wheelchairs (that they should just avoid the business), you wouldn't be very happy. Why do you think this is acceptable advice for anyone who has a problem breathing when exposed to cigarette smoke?

    I think one of the responsibilities of a person in a wheelchair is to educate others. That's a heck of a lot easier when you do it with honey rather than vinegar. Teresa isn't going to evaluate every business based on accessibility to a patron in a wheelchair just like you aren't going to evaluate every business you go into based on how accessible it is to someone who is 300 pounds overweight and someone who's only 4' tall and someone who is 7' tall and someone who is blind and how you would be treated if you were African-American and what it would be like if you were deaf, etc., etc., etc. Yet, you expect the rest of the world to evaluate businesses based on YOUR accessibility issue. And to me, that's selfish and hypocritical.

    Have a nice day!

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Kathy,
    As Teresa and I and others have said. everyone is entitled to their opinion you as well. however..point of interest since you have said I am hypocrital and selfish .. maybe i should point out a few things. I am blind in my left eye, deaf in my left ear, I have breathing problems. I have family that are large people as well. I see alot and for you to say that NOT knowing me personally? I find that most rude, I left your comment here to show you you see only the chair and have NOT bothered to note I do take other things into consideration as I have so many other health issues.. I have a sister died of asthma and family with diabetis.. and I am selfish? Dont judge..less You be judged.. I have many issues and I avoided a place if it jeopardized my health you wouldnt ? then who is wrong then .. I value myself and would NOT deliberately expose myself my family let alone my children to a place I felt was NOT a good place. I do avoid a place that is NOT accessible..lol I have NO choice..but someone with breathing or weight or what ever problems Have a choice..also I am Native American.. NOW .. YOU have a nice day..
    WHO is the hypocrit here? hmm?
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Kathy, this subject is closed on my blog ok? i have deleted your comment and will continue to do so. You stated your opinion..I suggest you drop the subject thank you..
    LOIS...

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger teresajoy said…

    Lois, this might be a stupid question, but are you talking about the Oasis in Three Rivers? By some of your comments, it sounds like you are talking about something in Sturgis? Your description of Applebees sounds like the one in Sturgis, since the one here has a lower level, but no upper. And, you said something about going to Walmart, which we don't have here. Anyway, I'm glad we've worked this out! I was really feeling badly about it all day.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Teresa,
    I have too.. I ment the one here in 3 rivers. I dont know Sturgis at all the walMart there is the one I meant..the Applebees Is here tho..I was there last in 2001 a long time ago and I remembered I thought a higher level and a bar on the lower..I could have been wrong I know I sat by the kitchen door and I dont mean it against Applebees at all their food was very good, but I think the lady that seated us..well, really had no choice.. apparently Teresa we have sparked a few..Kathy is most upset with me to the point I have had to delete her comments here which i hated to do but I wont be called names by anyone on my blog, I have found quite a few have added me to their books..which has made me feel better.. I did not mean that your comment was not valid but well lets end that subject, perhaps if you are over by me a visit would be nice. I had to stop the stress of it Teresa as at this time stress is something I desperately need to avoid for health reasons, plus it was NOT that big an issue that seemed to get quite a few involved .lol.. but as long as we are friends well that IS the important thing..If I hurt your feelings I am very sorry was NOT my intention at all..shall we do a re-start on this ? lol..Welcome to MY world here.. you are most welcome.
    We are under warnings I am told so I do hope you and your family are safe,warm and secure..Good nite my new friend..I have to lay it down today was very stressful and I cant take chances on added stress..
    take care..
    Always, LOis ****

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger teresajoy said…

    Thank you Lois, and I will post over on Judy's Book that all is well.

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Teresa,,
    yes please do.. I am glad all is ok. I cant take stress and its so much easier to get along than not..

    be safe and take care :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    THIS SUBJECT IS CLOSED TO COMMENTS..
    thank you....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker