ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Thursday, December 20, 2007

~The Jeep~


That's my dad in one of his very best favorite vehicles, his
Willys Jeep..He always had one.. This one was the one I used
to learn to drive..my dad taught me.. I think was 3 on the floor..
I had thought 4 cuz its 4 wheel drive, but I remember the
brake and clutch peddles were small and sort of rounded and my
feet just barely reached them, and when I had to push them all
the way in I had to almost scoot to the end of the seat.. I did
good, not once did I grind the gears.. I wanted to learn to drive
so bad, so I begged and pleaded and my dad agreed every time
he went to town to get a part or something I could go along and
he would teach me..but I had to watch and listen first.. which I
did.. and I could drive that jeep, I bet I still could to this day,
If I had someone to work the peddles that is. :-)

When I got to 9th grade or 10th? one of them. I took drivers Ed.
we had to, to get our license at 16..which I did, but I already did
know how to drive.. The car was equipped with 2 sets of floor
stuff the brake and clutch, gas pedal, well Mr, Beeler our teacher
would take 4 of us at a time..1 in front with him and 3 in the back
seat and we all took turns driving him and everyone around town..
was all we did.. for an hour every day for 3 months.. well as soon
as we got in the car about maybe 15 minutes into the ride, Mr.
Beeler would fall asleep.. we would still stop and switch out so we
each got a turn to drive, while he slept..he NEVER woke during
this..we would laugh.. well one day he fell asleep and I don't
know what he was dreaming, we are cruising down the road
and all of a sudden the car STOPS! brakes screeching, almost
smoke behind us.. Mr Beeler whatever his dream was lifted his
foot and hit that brake pedal..and the kids in the back hit the
floor, I banged my head on the steering wheel..and Mr. Beeler
wakes up and says " I think I fell asleep" We all looked at
each other and laughed..drove back to the school it took all of
10 minutes to be buzzing with the fact Mr. Beeler fell asleep.
We liked when he did..after that tho he kinda stayed awake
more.. :-)

Floyd Bushie was the chief of police in our little town, the day I
turned 16 I almost RAN to the police station to get my license,
and I can say all the years Ive driven, well up to 2000.. I only had
3 accidents and 1 ticket, and that's cuz they had the Stop sign hid,
was behind Some bushes.. I went thru that intersection like I had
good sense, I see a light on a dash behind me.. I kept going.. I hadnt
done anything.. well he kept following..I stopped and the guy was
in plain clothes! he says "you went right thru that stop sign back
there.." I said "ok..so what business is it of yours, and WHY do
you have a light on your dashboard.? who ARE you?".This was in
wonderful galena park, Texas, now..I didn't think about an unmarked
car and all that.. I was from small town ..he says "don't get smart
little lady, Im a cop.." I said "prove it".. he hadnt shown me nuthin!
He whips out his badge, says "Im officer so and so, "what ever, I
don't remember now. Well he coulda given me a ticket for being
rude and sassy to him..Texas cops are like that..but he was nice
and let me go.. but then.. I was GORGEOUS then too but not a
WEEBLE ;-D

There is a great ski resort in the upper Penninsula ..(MI) called Ski
Brule.. Years ago it used to be more of a SUMMER tourist area..
Well my dad and a bunch of other city guys decided that the area
had the hills, build a ski resort.. My dad was the first one to go down
the main slope... IN HIS JEEP.... he said "Lois, that hill was so steep,
the jeep at such an angle, my forehead was up against the windshield"
he laughed, and said, "if that window had come open (this was the
Willys jeeps had the front windshield that opened up, 54 jeep? ) I
would have rolled right down that hill"... well when they finally opened
the hill.. my dad of course was there, all our family, except me of
course, were VERY good skiers.... my cousin to this day, and his wife,
work there... I skied, but was awful..I tried it tho.. anyway.. when
they opened the place to the public.. they let my dad be the first one
to ski down it.. I thought, well so did he, that was kinda nice.. made
the paper...

My dad, and my mom's brother, Earnest, well Ernie, were good
buddies.. and my uncle, well he could ski, skate, played hockey, but
he had 3 sons.. and the 5 of them would have a good time (my dad
too) There was no where for anyone to ski before the Brule opened,
so my dad and uncle found a nice hill..cleared it ..and got permission
to put up an electric tow line..to pull you back up the hill..they rigged
lights so you could ski at night too... they sold buttons for 2.oo to
help pay the electric bill and to maintain the slope.. I don't think
there was a person in town that didn't have a button !! It was so
popular.. they built another one, even nicer..with a 20,25 mile radius
I bet I know 3 ski hills..then in Iron Mountain.. its noted for the
steepest ski slope (Olympic type contests) in the USA? maybe just
MI .. but sking, skiing? ya.. spell chekr says skii :-)

Well, in the continuing saga of stuff falling apart, including me, :-)
no..Im fine.. I went to make coffee in my little cup at a time, Black
& Decker one, and the poor baby went SIZZZLE<>
and it was all over..she died.. I tried my best to get her back, but
well, I got it from the homeless shelter so it was probly on its last
legs..I got my moneys worth..was free..lasted a year..served me
every day all that time..I will get another.. I really like it.. I do
have a bigger one... but, I like the one cup at a time..then it doesn't
sit there, I don't drink one cup right after the other, and usually
I only drink maybe 2, 3 at the most..cups every day..Once in awhile,
after lunch I like to have a cup but not often...

Well its time for me to get out of this chair again ..I was up at
4:30 again..I really didn't do a whole lot today except watch the
time go by and wait for this day to be over so I could go and lay
it down again.. I just am NOT shaking this tiredness..and tomorrow
is a VERY busy day..lots to do.. to do right now..is some kool aid
and getting up on the bed and TV.. don't ask what a saw yesterday,
I have NO idea.. I don't know why I bother to turn TV on...I never
see it.. "Nitey Nite" :-)

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? love ya and thanks. :-)
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you, is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again.....

3 Comments:

  • At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good bit tonite ...

    d

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love reading about the Willys Jeep.What color is it, it look yellow in the picture.
    A very very long day, so many thing still need to be done.
    God bless you Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi d,
    Thanks ..nice of you to say..

    Hi Mary,
    Yes it was yellow..and a great jeep..lots of good memories when I see that.. Take care Mary and dont over do..Keep a watch for your mail..

    Good to hear from you ..thanks!!!
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker