ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Thursday, February 28, 2008

~Sewing Dreams~


There's a little town, just a wide spot on the road, I think they
have a blinking caution light. This little town is right next to the
river. There is a restaurant there, a convenience store and the
last time I was through there, someone was trying to reopen a
small motel that was there as well.. Its a very nice area, and
there are quite a few homes around as it is at a Y in the highway.
There are some abandoned buildings..well perhaps I should say
WERE, I havent been there in 8 years now.. not since 2000.. I
drove through there when I was staying with Donnie and trying
to get better after my heart surgery.... I had my own car then and
I decided I was going to drive to my sister Shirleys.. Which I did
with no problem.. I was in a sort of in between, not knowing that
the rest of the year would be almost totally spent in hospital or
rehab or that in just months I would lose my right leg...

This town had an old gas station, something on the order of the
photo I got off the net, its almost like that. it had a huge glass window
in front..there was a drive through with a roof over it that went
over top of the gas pumps held up by 2 huge columns of brick.
then were the 2 huge glass garage doors, but what was so great
about this place is that the garage was attached to the front of
a house, and the back of the house faced the river. It had a base
ment and the garage level and a 2nd story... Next to this place
was an open area.. lot size,, then.. next to that were 6 old cabins.
They were not in good shape then and I don't think had been used
in years..nor had the garage... It was very old... but didn't look in
bad shape from the outside, inside you could see lots of stuff in it,
but it looked more like storage.. When my ex and I used to fish, one
of the places we went was across the river from this place.. by
the dam ...good fishing there...above and below...which from this
town you could access both sides of the river not to mention above
and below the damn ... We fished there many times...

Why I have been thinking of this place again ..is because of some
dreams I have had lately..which connect to me sitting here looking
at my sewing machine... wanting to open her up and use her again.
My dreams lately have been about sewing..having my own business,
even to seeing in my dreams the ladies that were working with me
to make extra money... We had an excellent business... And we are
at this place on the river... The front of the place, the garage was re
done to make a sewing center, we made quilts and crafty things or
if someone needed or wanted something made, a dress, costume,
or what ever, once I made aprons for a restaurant. I made a lot of
money at the HHome making lap quilts... Sewing has been a part
of my life ever since I sat on my gramma's front porch realizing
just how fun it is to sew and create things from just scraps of cloth.

I used to sew for sewing places using Industrial machines, that I LOVE.
the speed and power they have is awesome.. When I used those and
would go home and use mine there it was like going from a horse and
wagon to a Rolls Royce... I can operate at least 6 different types of
industrial sewing machines. Some of these sewing places sell their
scrap or left over material for pennies...The material is all good quality.
When I found out a friend had opened a business making Hide Outs
for hunters out of camouflage material..my ex was in his glory.. I was
given huge bags of the scrap material.. and I told Jack, the owner of the
company just what I could make out of his scrap material that he had
been throwing away!!!... I went back a few days later and showed him
the shirt, pants, fanny pack and acessories..I had made- he was so
surprised .. he started making stuff himself out of it.. but he still gave
a lot to me and I made a lot of money off that free material...

I miss sewing and the creating and designing my own things.. Ive been
asked to design and create some clothing specially for chair people,
and specifically amputees.. To design clothes that THEY wanted..not
what they were forced to buy because they don't really have clothing
that is really adapted for us.. Nothing really pretty, Ive looked.. When
I was in the HHome, there was a sweet lady across the hall named
Nancy.. She couldn't move but her arms..and she could barely speak.
They dressed her in her clothes but she was uncomfortable.. slacks
that rode up and tops that just werent suited for her or were just ugly.
I decorated some of the hospital gowns that she wore..put lace around
the neck ..fixed the sleeves.. and I left the back open so she didn't lay
on anything,, like a seam or anything that could cause her skin to
break down which is a big issue for people with restricted movement.
She was pleased and LOVED the ones I did for her..In fact she liked
them more than her other clothes and would only wear them when the
things I made for her were in the laundry.. :-)

Across the street are local strikers..on a pickett line.. the cars going
by since yesterday have all been blowing their horns.. When they first
started I was going nuts trying to see who the cars were that were maybe
tooting their horns cuz they knew me or else something was drastically
wrong.. Well its the walkers out there, about 8 or so at a time.. I even saw
my house on the news! The horns were all day yesterday and EVEN ALL
NIGHT! and today the same thing.. I don't mind the horns during the day ,
but ALL night too? Those guys stayed out there ALL night !.. As COLD as it
was and IS.. Gotta give them credit I guess..One guy even brought his dog
with him.!

Well, enough for today, Im gonna go and check out my machine over
there and just see what I have to do to it to get her up and running..If
she fails me I have my good trusty one down the basement that I had
given to me in the HHome.. I KNOW what she can do.. and what I can
do is get started..so that means.. My GORGEOUS WEEBLE words..
"nitey nite"...

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? love ya..and Thanks !!! :-)
ALways, Lois ****

God Bless you, is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again.....

5 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lois it sound like it was a great place at one time, wonderful to have great memories.
    We had Pam birthday party tonight she is 29 years old. We had it at her sister home Becky places...Tomorrow is my oldest son Robert Leon birthday, he is 44 years old...Well I wish I was 65 but it is a year and 5 months away.
    So glad your card came today, it only took 15 days to get here...wow the weather sure slowed them up.
    Have a great day my friend.
    God bless you Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey,
    I see some other B----r has put some more crap on your blog. Wish there was some way to get at these sub-humans - how DARE they invade your privacy in this way.
    Do you know any White-hats who could sort these guys out?
    What a good idea, to make clothing for the differently abled. It must be very difficult for a lot of folks to find the right thing. There is a sweet, very pretty, up-beat girl called Michelle Alcorn who lost her hands and feet to meningeococcal septicemia and who wants to design clothes for just the same clients as you do. Both of you would be able to bring real knowledge to the job.
    Honey, I hope and pray that your dream can come true. Trouble is, things always seem to go pear-shaped for the folks I pray for. I'm almost afraid to pray!!
    Take care, Honey,
    L.O.L. & G.B.H. from
    Raife

     
  • At 6:37 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary,
    I cant believe that card took this long to be delivered..what date does it say on the post mark? Im glad you got it finally... :-)

    hi Raife,
    Yes, theres not a whole lot we can do about them but keep reporting them, which I do. Everyone's trying to make a dollar now days anyway they can.. Cant blame them as hard as things are getting everywhere..

    Even though dreams are wishes your heart makes, they sometimes dont come true..but if we didnt have them what would we have..

    HOpe y'all have a great day... :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lois it hard to see where it at, but it look like the 12 or 13 of Feb...but I got it that what is important...thank you so much. Mary

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Morning Mary,
    As much as it costs for stamps now think it would have gotten there faster.. Im gonna get some of those new freedom stamps I heard about, then I dont have to worry about the raises the USPS makes on stamps all the time..

    I thought you might enjoy the tea heart.. They are easy to make and are so nice to send to special people.. It was a good seller at my craft shop...

    We are in the middle of a massive snow storm today.. awful out. I have a feeling I may not see anyone today.. Penny may be snowed in.. :-) stay warm and dry my friend :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker