ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Friday, September 26, 2008

~Experiences~

A new friend asked me what did I experience as I realized
something was wrong with my legs. When I try to think back,
I get a headache... :-D .. no.. just kidding. . I try to put a date,
year especially. I was living in the UP of Michigan when I can
remember my legs would ache if I walked for too long. We
had gone to see a friends car that had gone down the hill at
Horse Race Rapids. Kids drinking and not setting the parking
break when there were signs all over to remind the drivers.
Well they didn't, the car went over the side.. The boys mom
was furious. The DNR even gave the boys, 3 of them, tickets
and they had to work for them for damaging the woods with
that car.!. This was in 90. The year my mother comitted
suicide, she wasn't able to handle the death of my Dad the
year before. She lasted 8 months after he died. They had
been married 56 years. .

When we went to see that we took our fishing gear of course
as there is great fishing there down in the gorge. To get down
there there is a long series of steps...not steep but wide, a
very gradual slope. After we fished and started back up I
noticed I was having pain in the calves of my legs. When I
moved to Green Bay in 90, I had a very strenuous and fast
paced job on your feet constantly.. only time you sat was when
you had your break.. It was a bank clearing house. I would go
for my breaks and sit, then when I got stood up my feet hurt
terribly... I went to the Dr and she said I had severe arthritis
in my feet, heels especially and ankles. She predicted that in
10 years I would possibly be in a wheel chair as I wouldn't be
able to walk. By 2000 I WAS in a wheelchair, but NOT because
of the arthritis, well maybe in part, but it was because my legs
had failed, I had by then at least each leg bypassed 3 times.
They all failed. I had stints put in; I had them ballooned; that
did not work.. It did for a while. but not long.

What I felt was pain that steadily increased in the calf of my
legs. The longer I stayed up and on my feet the worse it got
till I just couldn't stand it and had to sit.. When I sat it got
even worse for a minute or so, then it would gradually subside.
It was horrible pain. And not a thing would stop it until I got
off my feet. Before I had a bypass the pain by then would
almost be constant and I could not be on my feet at all... I
would know it was time for that leg to be bypassed...


Ive had 2 abdominal bypasses as well... The first one in 97,
the 2nd in 2000. That's why I cant lay on my left side. If I
sit just right you can feel it down my side. How I knew some
thing was wrong was because about 20 minutes or so after I
would eat the stomach pains about drove me crazy. I would
almost double over in pain it hurt so bad. The abdominal
artery was clogged and when you eat, those muscles that are
moving that food through your body their blood supply is
lowered cuz its working to process the food you ate. The
same with legs.. When you walk you are using those muscles,
that are fed with blood.. when that main artery is blocked,
less blood for those muscles and then they cramp up; work
harder; thus the pain.. its really the muscles that are hurting.
The abdominal byass the first time was done at the IU Med
Center in Indy. I was high risk and the Dr sent me down
there. I was there for a month. David has family down there
that kept me company and David came down on the week ends
until I went home. The 2nd abdominal was done 2 or 3 months
after my triple heart bypass. NOT FUN! but I made it...

Smoking is the main cause of PVD, stress and high cholesterol
the other.. I did not know smoking caused this. I only knew of
cancer that they even have put warning labels on cigarettes.
I wonder why they don't say you will lose your legs as well. I
do think PVD is a lot like Burgers though, from what I hear
and have read. I don't know anyone with PVD but I know of
2 ladies with Burgers, both are amputees.

Penny came today and we are all clean. We arent really too
messy so Penny really doesn't have to work hard. I have
been planning ahead to Christmas.. There are some special
things I have and need to have them fixed so Penny is on
that mission today. Family things that need to be passed
on and I think Christmas is the best time. I talked to the
boy last nite.. I havent heard from Donnie since he was
here on the 13, which was his birthday, so I remember.
Hes working both jobs and in between trying to get his
garage finished. He stays busy... He knows to be in touch
at least once a week but you know how kids are you have
to remind them once in a while to keep in touch... Every
one is well.. the 3 grands and 4 great grands here are ok,
and from what I gather so are my other 5 grands..I'm
glad.. I have a teeeeny tendency to worry... I think that's
my middle name really :-)

Penny made a tuna noodle casserole for me today and its
really good.. theres enough for tomorrow too. I should be
getting my angel food tomorrow too, restock my freezer,
I get nervous if it looks too empty :-) Time to post this
and get out of this chair for today.. I got up kinda early
but I fell asleep early too.. I missed survivor and I missed
Grays Anatomy.. was the 2 hour premier that I had been
looking forward to watching. I should have taped it.. but
I don't have a VCR plus the fact I couldn't reach it any
way it would have to go on top the TV, then on top the
cable box.. I couldn't reach to put a tape in . Maybe
when I get this bedroom straight I can make arrange
ments to put the TV on something else, then I could
reach a VCR ... Post time but first my GORGEOUS
WEEBLE "nitey nite".

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? love ya and THANKS!
Always, Lois ****

"God Bless You", is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend".
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again....

4 Comments:

  • At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Lois
    We have heard from Bob sister Patsy, she is alright but no lights or phone there yet around there...she called from relief hurricane place... I called the police in Dayton to check and see if she alright for us.
    So good to know they are not hurt.
    It must be so hard to live without electric and phone all this time and who know when they will get it turn back on.
    Life has keep me a little to busy this week after the trip.
    I got to pick up my medicine Saturday morning, hoping to stay home the rest of the day.
    I hope you get my pictures I send.
    God bless you Lois.
    mary

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest honeydear!
    Intresting to read this. Despite knowing you for such a long time, i only had got fragments of what you have been going through...

    An intresting thought ocurred while i read: Is your pain when you get phantoms, better or worse than the pain you had before your amputations??

    The amputations prolly was the worst thing that could happen in ONE way, but it gave you tons of times to be at the computer.... And if you had been working and running around, all of us friends here on the NET had missed you!

    And if... I am sure our roads never had crossed, and that had been a catastrophy atleast for me!

    Kisses all over my dear Lois!

    f y o
    ROB

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is no fun growing old. Smoking can be an addiction. I knew one woman in her 60s who was a DAK and sat in a wheel chair smoking I have a tenant who was a 2 pack a day person for 40 years or so - he has lung cancer and cancer of the spine - ouch

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary,
    It will take a long time for them to rebuild not counting all the utilities back. I feel for them.. Im glad I live up here now or I would have been right in the path. Thanks for the photos of your diamond hunting Mary, I bet that was fun! Looked it... :-)

    Hi Rob,
    Thanks hon for the interesting question.. Tonites blog (sat) I am writing to answer it. Most interesting I hope you will find.

    Hi Momar,
    ny kind of smoking is bad for you when it comes right down to it.. whats left any more that IS good for you? not even our food.. we cant win.. :-)

    So nice to hear from you ..thanks!
    Love N'Hugs,
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker