ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Sunday, June 21, 2009

~Happy Father's Day!~ :-)


Fathers Day today. And if you had a great one like I
did you didn't need this special day to let him know,
I told mine every chance I got that he was THE best
dad any girl could have. My dad died in 1989.. 20 years
ago already, doesn't seem that long, but then when you
lose someone as close to you as a parent or child..the
amount of time no matter how long, it seems like only
yesterday they were here.
2 special people.. my parents.. Ralph & Violet.. :-)
A favorite spot, on their back porch.. I have that table in my kitchen.
dad cheated at solitare ! Shhhh :-) Mom couldnt figure out how he
always beat it :-) I never told :-)

I went through my photos to pick the ones I liked the
best of him, and of course, it was hard to pick, but I
chose the ones that reminded me most of him and who
and what he was.. He had a smile, that you just couldn't
help smile back.. He had a gold tooth, that made his
even more special.. :-) He was a very special man.. One
of a kind..When he got dentures he even had that gold
one put in it.. :-)
One of his favorite things to do was fish.. he taught me :-)

His name was Ralph Elwin, he was born January 28, 1909,
died April 26, 1989, he was a direct decendant to
Samuel Woodworth, his great grandfather, that wrote
the song "The Old Oaken Bucket". In fact there is a
Woodworth family reunion going on now up in New York.
Next year it may be here in Grand Rapids where many
of my grandfathers family are.. Be nice to go to one.
There is also a website about this song and Samuel...:-)
The very top photo look at my dads hands. His fingers
had arthritis and the tips were bent, he worked till the
day he went into hospital to fight the cancer that had
already gone past repair.. Pancreatic, that kills you in
only months.. which it did him. I didn't make it home
in time, I was on my way as fast as I could, when I
called from Milwaukee, he was already gone.. Was the
worst trip I ever made in my life, from Buffalo back
home...

My dad was a mechanic, all his life, he tried the mine,
got hurt and refused to go back, I was glad! He had
his own garage and no helpers.. his quote "If a job
is done wrong, I don't want to take blame for some
one elses work, I do my own." and he loved it... My
parents went out to my Uncle Stanley and Aunt Edna's
was Christmas time, and while we kids played, my
cousin Larry and I, the adults were making taffy. You
had to pull it between two people or by your self, my
dad had a huge piece of WHITE taffy, he was pulling
and stretching it, looked down and the taffy had turned
almost black.. a dark grey ! He looked at his hands.. :-)
they were SNOW WHITE.. being a mechanic the oil and
grease even though he constantly washed his hands it
was embedded into the skin and nails :-) The taffy being
very oily, drew all of that stuff OUT and changed the
color of the taffy.. Needless to say, my dad was pleased,
his hands hadnt been THAT white and clean in ages, but
he had one of the biggest chunks of taffy ! NO ONE was
gonna eat that ! :-)

Ive written and still could write lots of stories about my
dad, who and what he was, and I probly will ! :-) He taught
me well if he hadnt I don't think this life I have now, I
could handle if it wasn't for him. My sons are dads, I hope
they are even half the dad their grandfather was.. and
they or anyone would be great.. :-) I still miss my dad....
I have a old bottle of OLD SPICE, that was his, I smell
it once in a while, its here on my desk.. That smell brings
him back just like the photos.. I was very blessed that
he and my mom picked me to raise... :-) They adopted me
when I was 10 months old.. :-)

Well, I have to stop, you know just writing a few words
about my dad will bring a tear to my eyes.. and this
GORGEOUS WEEBLE cant see what shes typin.. plus I
didn't eat much yesterday and I'm a tad hungry, but
only something light. Happy Fathers Day... :-)

Y'all have a good one now, Y"hear? love ya and thanks..
Always, Lois ****

"God Bless You", is my prayer today,
I'm honored to call you Friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again....

2 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Lois

    The reunion went over well again this year...so many were sick and could not come...but we all had a great time of visiting each other...
    Love all the pictures you put in your bog while I was gone.
    My dad didn't like fishing and only I out of 6 kids like to fish...he was a Electrician and real good at it...all by brother are good at it too...
    I'd gain a few pounds this weekend, hoping it will come back off fast...
    It's been hot here today, that heat sure get to me real fast anymore.
    Having to run the air conditioner all the time now.
    God bless Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary
    Im glad you had a good time. Its high 80s here. but a breeze which helps..

    Good to hear from you :)
    Love N'Hugs,
    Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker