ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Sunday, December 18, 2005

~Asking~


Anyone can go up to someone else and ask them for help. We have
all done that at some time or another. I have. If I couldnt find something
in a store or got lost and needed directions, didnt know how to do
something. But I think having to ask for help being in a chair is a bit
different.. at least for me...Sure, I asked before. but under totally
different type of circumstances, I could do it. now I cant DO it..

Different ones have said to me, "you need to get out more, when you
need help, just ask". What I have to ask for help for now.. I never had
to before.. opening a door. pushing a shopping cart, reaching some
thing hanging too high, or something up on a shelf. I could do that,
now I can't. I dont mind asking, but for me, it got old very fast, and I
don't like the feeling it gave me. And one of the main reasons I dont
like to go out alone, and I honestly don't think being here ALL the time
makes me out to be some kind of weird hermit or anti social ...I LOVE
people.. and I sure am NOT ashamed of who I am OR what I look like.
I know I look good.. but if someone doesnt wanna see me.. well don't
look at me then is all I can say, what you see is what you get.. and
hey.. I told ya.. I'm gorgeous..lol.. :-)

Many have told me I need to get out more. and perhaps I should explain
more about where I live. I am not from this town. I dont know but ONE
person that lives here, thats Jane. My sis and brother live over an hour
away and Donnie isnt that far but leads a very hectic life. When my
husband asked for a divorce I lived in another state. when I left him I
moved to this state where Donnie & his wife took me in... Thus
made me a resident here.. When I was released from rehab back
there, they had to find a place for me somewhere back in my new
state, and that is why I am here. It is NOT easy to venture out into a new
strange town as an able bodied person, so you can only imagine the
intimidation there is being like I am and to venture into totally strange
places. I can get rides..yes.. but no one is available to go with me.
.

Jane could and has offered..but she is only allowed 2 hrs twice a week
to come and help me.. I need those 4 hours to get the cleaning, laundry
shopping etc done..to drag me along would take up precious time we
dont have, and I would rather have clean clothes and apartment than say
I went to a store, just to get out..

I stay in contact with people via the phone, or online.. I love to talk on
the phone to hear who I have been getting letters from and I have gotten
calls from all over the world . now how great is that? I can see people
on cam..they can see me.. I can hear them and them me..all thru this
wonderful machine.. The one thing I cannot get thru this machine..is the
TOUCH of another person..THAT I admit I miss.. I see Donnie & Dawn,
my sis and bro n law..and of course Jane, and the sweet young man
that brings my lunch every day..hes so sweet.. So I DO have contact,
and D&D , my sis always give me hugs and a kiss before they leave..
THATS a RULE here..gotta kiss bye..or you can't leave. My rule lol
I kinda like it :-D hugs n kisses are good.. Donnie brought his puppy,
a chocolate lab, named Jerky, gorgeous animal..HUGE one.. and he
even gave some good sloppy kisses before he left.. I do get kisses
from my boys..they are SO scratchy but I accept them willingly..only
time I dont like Dutch's kisses are at 4am ...lol...oh.. the lunch guy...
better get specific ..he doesnt havta give me a kiss when he leaves.
he's excused.. :-).

I also..am never bored at home..I can stay busy constantly even if I didnt
have a computer.. I do too many things. I sew, craft, love puzzles...I can
always find something to do..And now with this computer..I have friends
from all over the world..now how great is that? I never was a social
butterfly anyway.. I loved family gatherings..yes..but other than that.. I
didnt go to bars or anything. out to eat ..but even shopping unless it
was for groceries or sewing/craft supplies I wasnt interested, now I did
LOVE.. well still do..to fish.. I could tell you some great fishing stories
one of these nites I just may tell one of my great stories for you..lol...

Well its time to ask the question..am I hungry? lol..yup..I havent eaten all
day.. I got some great ideas for my christmas gift to you that I think will
be VERY well liked...i am quite sure of it...Remember..you have to write
and ask to be on it..send a letter and I will put you on my list.. I plan to
send it out possibly thursday or friday..depends how fast i can get it done.
so not much time left..let me know..lol... remember..you do NOT have to
put me on yours to get mine, ok? :-) good, ok hungrytime ....

Y'all have a good one now y'hear? luv ya and thanks...
Always, Lois***



May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...



4 Comments:

  • At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Lois,
    How I wish we lived nearer to each other. It would be so great to take you around the shops and out and about.Don't your supermarkets have special trolleys that clip on to a wheelchair? Tesco, Sainabury's and asda (Wallmart) here all have them, even in their smaller stalls and will get a girl to come round with you, helping pick things off the shelves. That only needs one "ask" to get all your shopping done.
    I enjoy shopping in a supermarket, looking for all the bargains!
    Love and Hugs
    Raife.

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Raife, I do too..I would LOVE to go to those quaint shops by you.I would let you push me around..:-)

    They have powerchairs, that they will let you use, I've inquired, but I dont believe they clean them after each use like they claim and due to extenuating circumstances, I'd rather not sit my butt on one of their seats.(my no pants?) lol...

    I think some of the stores will provide a shopper to go with you. However I live in a very small town, to get a ride to some of this kind I cant get transportation to them, only in town here. Joys of small towns, not alot here. :-(
    Always,Lois***

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I enjoy cooking. A guyanese woman makes a rich soup for the lady she works for as a home attendant. I usually eat it with elbow macaroni, chicken soup, cheese, bread crumps and micro-wave it.

    I went to a Jewish super market in my nabe and bought onion matzoh - it is a flat bread - I eat it for breakfast slathered with soft marjarine.
    Trolleys are shopping carts in the U.K.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Momar, you know so many different kinds of foods..MMM..I rented from a jewish lady and she made homemade pierogies.. MMMM.I havent had those in ages..

    I just put a cornish meat pie in the oven and am about to take out a lucious pumpkin PIE !! My FAVORITE!!
    Smells so good in here...About 2 hrs am I gonna have some good food :-)

    Between you & Raife, such great cookers as my Dolly would call me lol. :-) nothin says lovin like GOOD FOOD :-D
    ALways, LOis ***

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker