ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Sunday, February 19, 2006

~My First Year As A DAK ~




I was chatting with a friend today and the subject came up of
what the first year was like when I first became a DAK. To be
honest, I really don't remember very much of it other than the
intense excruciating daily pain and agony. I DO remember
that all too well... The only way they would agree to let me move
out of the hellhome was if I agreed to have a nurse come here
and take care of the infection in my stump. I agreed I wanted
out of there so badly, to be FREE..

The picture is one of the very first I took of myself, with some
lovely Iris's that were sent to me, "Just Because" just like the
roses I got this past Christmas... from a very dear friend, I was
alot thinner then as you can see.. Not sure of the date of this..I
am so careless about doing that, it was taken with my first cam..
All my other very first pictures are trapped in my other computer.

I am not positive of the date of my left amputation other than I
know it was a few days before Thanksgiving, 2001. In January
2002, on about the 11th or so I moved into this apartment.. I
did have help from a program that disability resource center
had and has only lately restarted, that helped me get out of the
hellhome and start my own life again. I couldnt have done it
without their help and Mona's of course.. She was a blessing
let me tell you..All I had to do was roll thru the door with my few
belongings I had at the home...She set up everything....

The nurse came on Monday, wednesday and fridays. And it was
one of the most awful experiences I can say I ever had to endure.
I honestly dont know to this day how I made it thru that. Many times
when the nurse would change the dressings and try to clean and
apply new cream etc on it that I would come so close to just passing
right out from the horrible pain. So much so that it got to where she
had to give me injections into my stump to deaden it so I felt nothing
until after she was gone..Then the agony really would start... Before
she got here I would get so upset and cry knowing what was coming
as I would sit and watch the time click by, knowing she was on her
way and how badly it was going to hurt..and there was no way I could
avoid it I had no choice.. Many times I know I cried to please just kill me
dont do this to me. I felt I was being tortured.. I had to go thru this or
agree to go back and have the stump redone and start all over from
scratch again.. I couldnt go back..I wanted it over..

My nurse was so sympathetic..she felt so bad she was hurting me so
badly yet there was nothing she could do other than what she knew
she had to do to try to clear up that infection.. I think that is why the
end of my left stump looks like it does because of that horrible mess...
She tried so hard to help me, I could see in her face when she watched
as I sobbed hysterically while she dug and probed at the massive hole
in the end of my stump.. My sister was here a few times when she came
and even she was upset at how painful it was, i think they both cried
with me...

During all this time.. lasted about a year...I gradually adapted to being
a dak, but I dont really remember doing it..But I had to adapt. I was
so sick then I didnt feel like doing anything the less I moved the better
so I found the easiest ways to do what ever it was...Thank God that
the infection healed.. but ONLY after I fired everyone and decided
that I would take my chances and try to heal this gaping wound my
self with soap and water and a daily clean bandage, did it finally
clear up.. I think the more and more different things the nurse kept
trying to use.. is what really kept it active..All I know is that is what
worked for me.. If I had to go back to those times, well just shoot me
now...put me out of my misery.. THAT was a horrible year and I am
really glad I dont remember alot... I dont think I could even handle
any more graphic memories other than the ones I do already have.
Thank God that is over.. I think that is part of my fear of anything else
going wrong or more surgery ..

The good part is... I'm still here..and I did make it thru... I think tho
it was all just part of life.. we all have to go thru our trials and tribulations
for what ever reasons ..perhaps to make us stronger.. If I could make
it thru that horrible time..well I guess I can make it thru what ever else
is ahead no matter what it is.. I do have to say tho I hope THAT was as
bad as what its going to be for me.. I sure hope so.. :-) THAT was a
MAJOR test, I passed with flyin' colors I think..well look at me !! - Like I
been sayin' "I'm GORGEOUS" lol..and thats my FINAL ANSWER !!!

Well its that time again.. time to find FOOD ! I got up late this morning
and havent eaten all day again..as usual.. So I need to eat something
today...I am so bad on the weekends..lol..And this one I really did
nothing.. I talked to my sis , she is doing ok..just SO wanting that-
and a direct quote - "DAMN cast OFF~!~" lol..Bless her heart,
I KNOW what she is going thru ...The kitchen is calling and the boys
have already headed out there so I'm headed there as well...Hope
your week end was as quiet and relaxing as mine....

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? LUV YA !! & thanks :-)
Always, Lois****


May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

5 Comments:

  • At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Lois,
    Love the pic. You look so thoroughly CUDDLEY!!! You really must get into that other computer and give us all the benefit of the other pics.
    My poor, dear lois. You have been through SO much. Please God, you will never have to suffer like that, ever again - and you have come out the end of that long, dark tunnel the lovely person you are. Thank you and well done, bless your kind heart.
    Take care, my dear, lots of love and hugs,
    Raife

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest Lois!
    Another most touching story, about your journey from the Hellhome to the wellhome. I love the writing and i love you, im a lucky guy being so loving..... Take good care of my belongings on the net....YOU that is...
    ; )
    Kisses all over from your own
    Rob

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Morning Raife ! You are so sweet, I feel the bad that we survive only makes us stronger and more determined to go on and do what we have to do..
    Soon as I get a new monitor I can get into my old computer I have lots of goodies in there lol...:-)

    Rob, thank you so much...hellhome to wellhome, isnt that just about right!
    well put ~!~
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lois,
    thanks for sharing your earlier experiences- I know it was a horrible time. But thankfully you are still here with us and positively gorgeous!!
    Loved the early pic.....but then I love all your pics.
    Butty

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Thanks Butty.. :-) when I get my new monitor I will use this one for my old computer until it wears out which I dont expect this monitor to last much longer.. Hopefully long enuff to get my stuff off the old one. I will share LOL...thanks Butty lol..
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker