ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Sunday, July 23, 2006

~Sunday Dinners~



Sunday Dinners were really great ... Specially when some of
the family were invited.. Mom always cooked one of her specialty's
which ALL were good... She used her wonderful china, the Desert
Rose, which is so lovely and my sister now has... You can see the
water pitcher, Its quite lovely.. At the head of the table of course is
my Dad, and at his right hand of course, is my mother, I always sat
on his left, if Gayle had been there she would have been sitting next
to my mother. At this dinner next to my mother, is my Dad's brothers
wife, my Aunt Dorothy, next to her is my Dad's sister, Helen, one of the
very few photos of her that I have. Next to me is my Grandmother,
Dads Mother, and next to her is a dear lady named Jesse Fansher,
she was my grandmothers helper and companion and took wonderful
care of her... Its sad when I think back as to how close we all were
as I grew up..how we all seemed to stay in touch..and knew where all the
family members were and never missed a chance like the photo above
to enjoy a good meal together and laugh and have a good time...

My moms side of the family, they all lived in the same town just about..
only miles apart..and we never seemed to miss a chance..summer or
winter, that at least once a month I bet we all got together for a picnic
didnt matter..in the snow or in the sun..we still had a great time.. see
those Binoculars my Dad's holding? I have those still, and I used them
every day for that year I first spent here watching that field outside...

We would get into the cars and like gypsy's, travel in a line following
each other. Many times was just a nice spot on the side of the highway
to put up a table- have a nice lunch, everyone brought food and soda..
it was great... and food outside..well..even better tasting.. this outing
was great, my Uncle Gordon and Aunt Gladys and their
5 children came along on this trip and my Uncle Ernie and his 3
sons.. My Aunt Phyllis and Uncle Phil...2 of their kids..wonderful time
was had by all...:-) you see the food all over the table...

In the summer we would go up to Lake Superior and look for agates on
the shore.. This is my Aunt Phyllis and Uncle Ernie teasing her, she was
looking for agates which are VERY small stones.. Look at what he is
handing to her (his sister) Its huge!!! see the smile on their faces... :-)
Uncle Ernie said "here Phyl..this is one"....*smirk* ;-)

In the winter.. it did not matter , we just pulled up next to the
highway and had a good time...snow and all.. I was NOT a good
skiier.. and I did fall alot and a few times I will admit I did run in
to a tree .. I did.. see the snow on me? We all just enjoyed the time
together and the outdoors and the great food...when ever we all
got in the car it seemed my mothers picnic basket would be put
into the trunk.. I still have that basket..up in my closet..and would
you believe its still packed ready to go..just needs food put in it...

Touring the highways up North there are picnic tables all along the
roads, main ones and the back ones..and usually at great spots.
Sundays were good days, and those Sunday outings.. I wish ALL
the family's now days could have just even 1 of the many that I
had, just so they would know what its like...

To face the changes that my life has gone thru, I look thru all these
old photos... and I can remember some of the conversation, the
cold or the wind..or even the smell of the water off of that Great
Lake Superior..and most definitely even taste some of that food
that always seemed to be there... And I am so glad I have these,
when I look back at them I'm not thinking of NOW, Ive transported
my self back to those days, and thinking of how great those days
were and how lucky I was to have them so I can look at these
pictures and enjoy them all over again.. Sundays were great...and
I guess really they still are, it means Im starting another week,
which isnt a bad thing either when I stop to think about it.. :-)

Now-- I am going to start heading out to the kitchen, I put on a big
pot of beans..and they smell so good I cant wait to get out there
and try some of them. Food is such a big part of our lives, and now
its Time to hit Publish and race Dutch to the kitchen..Nitey Nite.. :-)


Y'all have a good one now y'hear? luv ya..and thanks.. :-)
ALways, Lois****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

4 Comments:

  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    Great photos, Lois. Your grandmother looks a lot like mine did. I have many happy memories with my extended family. In some your photos could have been mine.

    I love the way you wrote about those times with yout family- it felt like I was there.

    Now that I am an adult I know about many problems that my family and relatives had while I was growing tht I did not know about, and wish that I did not know know. I guess that the good old days are never wuite as good as we remember. Yet my good memories are my own, and nothing can change that.

    I just finished making a batch of watermelong rind pickles, and thou house smells great.

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Morning Gray,
    I have the best time going thru photos. Now I have to find the time to put them all back into the albums lol.. I have so many ... I love them all...

    So, ok..need my adress to send some of them pickles??? lol.. :-) I have a great old recipe for bread and butter pickles (sweet) of my grandmothers.. Theyre easy and boy are THEY good... I have lots of old recipes..going back to the 1900's..

    Hope you have a good day :-)
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sundays: we, the kids, used to go to Sunday school. My brother and sister did not like it so they dropped out, and my parents let them. Our dad used to drive us the 5 miles or so to and from Sunday School. When we got home, there would be a nice dinner.We used to go to see various films on Sunday afternoon. The admission cost was 14 cents. (This was in the late 40s or early 50s.)

     
  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Momar,
    Yes, sundays were always sunday school, then church.. I wrote notes to my mother all thru the services..she told me once I used to get on the floor under the pew and play and write notes and draw pictures..lol...Only way to keep me quiet..give me a pencil and paper lol..gee Im almost the same way, except now I type lol.. Sundays were good days.
    Good to hear from you..hope your puter is runnin smooth now...
    Always,Lois****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker