ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

~FOOD~ :-)


A friend of mine, it seems every time we talk. one of the
questions I always ask.."what did you have good to eat today?"
And its really amazing at how long two people can discuss all
sorts of foods..to how to buy the ingredients, to the prep..to
cooking ..then of course the final meal..and since we are in
different countries there are not a lot of similarities yet there
are..like the bangers and mash or fish n chips lol..its the
same foods here they just have different names.. My friend is
in the UK, My mother was born there as I have mentioned
before..I know some of the old recipes she had that were
my grandmothers..But when I remember my grandmother
cooking, the one thing I remember most, my favorite was
her pea soup..Lordy that was good. When she knew I was
coming home from college for a week end she always made
a pot of soup. I think she did hoping I would stop by and I
would have soup or no soup lol..But..I love saffron, and of
course pastys..Up in the UP of Michigan and Wisconsin
even they are very popular.

Years ago ..my grandfather, moms dad, came over from
Cornwall..he and 2 of his brothers..they came over to work
the coal and iron ore mines that were starting up..this had to
have been back in hmm 20's? maybe a bit earlier..my mom
was born in 1910..so she was 8..1918.. they worked the mines
in the UK..and they needed the skilled men ..so after, the wives,
my grandma and aunts..came over with the children..my gramma
had 4 or 5 then..8 all total.lol..But to work the mines they made
these PASSS T EE S... im trying to put how to say the word
its not pASte..eee S .. those are special "coverings" for women's
you know what.I could say something but I wont lol..Ok.. they both
taste good..ask a baby lol.. :-) what? lol.. well anyway. :-) PASTY's
are good food..its like a pie crust rolled out in a circle then half
filled with meat..we use ground or minced beef, onion and potatoes
cut up kinda small..then you wet your finger and go just around the
edge of half of this circle..and fold the 2 halves together and press
the edge together.. kinda fold it over as you go around on top of
each other..put a small slice cut in the top and bake it..oh don't
forget salt and pepper inside too lol..I baked mine for about an
hour.till the potatoes are done. and they are good..Some put gravy
on them or cheese and all that but ..the original is like that. my
cousin June has an old newspaper clipping about where the Cornish
Pasty originated..of course Cornwall lol..They are even better when
they're cold..that's why they were so popular with the miners..

My grandfather and Uncle Stanley settled in Iron County, up there .
mines EVERYWHERE..none. but I think 1 is operational there.. my
uncle Leonard went up to Copper Harbor up north and a bit east
of where my grandfather was.the copper mines are up there by
Calumet..lovely area up there..well all of the Upper Penninsula is
just beautiful..well its mostly National Forest lol.. My dads dad was
a surveyor..and a mining engineer that helped to build and design
mines..he was the surveyor for most of the roads in the UP and a
talented map maker..lots of his things are on display at MIT ? the
university in Houghton I think it is.his alma mater. I have some of
my grandfathers old mining books..all the details and records.
back from years ago..I had planned to send them up there for their
archives and record keeping they are all hand written and drawn in
such detail..amazing..I never knew there were that many mines up
there Im surprised the whole UP hasnt sunk..or caved in..

Amazing..you realize we went from food to mining ? lol..now that's
pretty good..but that's how my mind works..the thought of food
and being hungry made me come back to the main subject..food..
lol.. Donnie was here earlier with Jerky ..hes a huge dog..told me
there was a explosion today a man killed..digging and hit a gas
line so powerful it blew a 80 foot deep hole..that's big.. of course
the 27 year old young man was killed..sadly and leaves a wife
that is due to have a baby in a month or so.. How I know the
details is..the property the man was digging joins my nephews..
and Donnie was on his way there when he saw them trying to
get the body out..so sad..he didn't have a chance..but the bad
part was..this poor guy didn't KNOW it was down there..he was
digging to build something a pole barn..and hit that gas line..
Donnie said as many times as he had dug almost in that same
line of it..and luckily didn't hit it.. but small world hey? I feel so
sorry for that little wife..how sad.. and this time of year.. but..well
everything happens for a reason..and whos to know what each day
will bring, when we open our eyes at sunrise that we will see the
sun go down at sunset..we all hope to everyday..but well we just
don't know and I, me..well I don't wanna know.. That little wife is
a sad girl tonite.. I feel for her and know the ache in her heart.. . .


But I do wanna know right now is how many of my doughnuts Donnie
ate while he was here lol. I had Penny get some for me and I KNOW
he ate one..cuz I watched him..but I heard him out there pretending
to get the dog.lol.. Penny will be back friday..I just hate to send
her back to the store again.lol. Got cold here and had to turn the heat
up a tad..Ken, Chris's brother came over said probly be a few weeks
before the new windows come..I told him he needs to hurry I DONT
like heating the out side lol. he needs to ..this all should have been
done.he had over a month knowing I wanted this place and it wasn't
ready when I moved in..painting especially ..only half done..like it
was only painted in spots in each room..lol. Ill get it done tho..I hope
before my 3 years are up lol.. Well time for a doughnut check..
ohh. only had to get up 3 times last nite.that was so fun..
*note to self: do NOT drink TEA before bed.......Nitey Nite :-D

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? luv ya..and thanks.. :-D
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

6 Comments:

  • At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Food: I grow calalloo in the front yard. That's spinach from the caribbean. I was given 25 seeds by a woman from Jamaica. Since it grows like a weed and it is self seeding I have 1000s of seeds. For Christmas dinner I will make a tomato soup a little like mulligitawny. We will have sweet potato fritters, and then a casserole with a lot of goodies in it. I will be cooking dinner for anybody in the house who has nowhere to go - A Salon des refusees so to speak. Have a happy

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Morning Momar..
    I have no plans for Christmas..just being here and online as every year.. D & D are going to Wisconsin..My sis is going up North, no one will be around.. I always am..Im round lol..:-)
    Hope you have a great holiday hon. How does a red & green wreath look on that orange door? Im waiting to see it lol

    Always. Lois ****

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    MMmm. I love pea soup.

    Thanks for the post. have a good day, Lois.

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning Gray..
    I do too its a favorite, and my gramma made THE best..both kinds..the yellow and the green peas..MMMM I miss my Gramma.. :-)

    Hope you have a good day hon. :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey,
    Of course, Pasties (pronounced paaah-steez) are a traditional product of Cornwal. You can buy them, hot, in the village shop here. They also used to make them with a herring in them, with the head sticking out one end and the tail 'tother. They were calle "Star-gazey Pasties" because the fishes eyes showed at one end. - I kid you not!!
    I am SO sad for that poor girl who has lost her hubbie. Remember her in your prayers, please, folks. She will always remember Christmas with sadness, now.
    Our Christmas dinner is very much like your Thanksgiving dinner, I guess. We shall have roast turkey, ham, little pork sauges wrapped in bacon, Brussel's sprouts, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, petit pois, cranberry sauce and bread sauce, followed by Christmas pudding and mince pies. There will be party poppers and crackers (the sort you pull, not the ones for cheese!!) and Asti Spumante sparkling wine. Of course, after that lot, we shall all need a good snooze or a long walk!!!
    Take care, Hon. L.O.L. & G.B.H.from
    Raife

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Raife..
    I love pastys. Now I make what I call a meat pie.. really good.. just put the crust in the bottom of the pan..then the filling crust on top and bake it.. in a pie..or square both work.. and MMMM.. get good meat lean..I mix my meat and potates in a bowl first to get everything mixed wiht everything real good. then put in the shell and bake and eat and thank you very much Im hungry LOL..

    I miss the saffron buns. I love those things.. ONly one left that makes them was my cousin June shes in her 80s now. she doesnt anymore..
    I wish I could with my bread maker..but it makes bread not buns..lol..

    I dont have any plans..Ive invited a few but no one has accepted..so.. I will be same bat channel , same bat time as usual lol. or should I say weeble channel and time? lol
    Have a good one..
    ALways, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker