ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Thursday, February 22, 2007

~Im NOT Lazy~

Does having or using a power chair mean your lazy? The
Dr asked me yesterday, why I don't know, if I really needed
one. I was kind of put off, but I didn't get mad or anything
just politely told her because I cant use a manual all the time.
Her being a Dr why would she not agree that anyone in a
wheel chair not needing one, mainly for their ease to move.
Inside I can, but its hard because of the carpet.. and outside?
well I can use the manual yes, but not very well, depends what
Im on..thru a yard or on gravel? its NOT easy.A power chair has
no problems with how the ground is at all. I really prefer
my manual chair to be honest,, I need to keep that upper
strength in my arms..but if I were to go out by myself which
here I don't think I would..there are 2 main roads..and I
would have to go out into the street at a corner to go to my
back yard unless I went thru the yard over the grass to the
back.. the strength I would need to push this chair would
take a lot . but I feel yes, I do need one.. most in chairs do,

I went to a friends funeral shortly after I moved into the apt.
and they had to park the car down the street a little ways,
the sidewalk was awful all different levels where it had
buckled and moved and left gaps. Some of us from the
Hellhome went and the one guy offered to push my chair
for me..we got to the driveway ok..was a bit of an angle so I
was glad when someone offered to push me. I never do
refuse being pushed around..well if its the right kind tho..lol.
well after the funeral the same guy came and we were
going back down the driveway he was pushing me kinda fast
and I laffed and told him "hey, be careful here I don't wanna
go past the car ya know" just about then my wheel hit a rock,
not a big one..but my chair came to an instant STOP..lol..
I have a nylon cover on the seat of this chair..slippery stuff, I
had a silk skirt on.. and I slid almost off my chair..good
thing I was hanging on.. the guy pushing me didn't know what
to do when he saw me still moving forward and he had his
hands on the chair and hes almost leaning over top of me cuz
it stopped him too! My butt was almost totally off my chair!!!

He grabbed my shoulder and held onto it and kinda pulled me
back in at the same time my chair is moving by the one wheel
that wasn't stuck on a rock and we started going around in a
circle with him hanging over the back of my chair and I have
learned if im going out of this chair its butt first not face first ,
so I fall backwards.. lol..ya..we looked really cute ... The other
ones with us..saw we werent really kidding around and helped
to stop my chair cuz I was holding on so I didn't slide out he
was holding on to me and we didn't lock my chair so..we
looked really cute..we all laughed when I did get into the car
and I teased the guy that was pushing me that "geez you want a
quick feel here ..well just ask don't shoot me out of my
chair so you can pull me back in !" we laughed..I m glad he was
still back there now can you see me skidding on my butt
being shot out of my chair? not a really pretty site, plus I
know that would have hurt all that gravel and stuff, I would have
been digging that out for days,, road rash I think bikers call it ..
:-) yeah.. road rash from a wheel chair :-D cute lol...

Lots of people think that power chairs are lazy -I guess if that's
all you use but are able to use a manual..well a manual is instant
move..you hit anything or push against that chair moves..with a
power chair ..something goes to splash or hit you ..you have to
find that joy stick and more than likely turn it on.and then move it..
I never kept mine on if I was sitting and doing something that
can lead to problems too, specially if you hit it accidentally and
arent wanting to move.. I prefer my manual.. I need this strength
I have..for just getting back and forth on the potty and my bed,
even getting dressed..taking a shower.. I lose this I have and well
THEN how do I drag this GORGEOUS weeble SKINNY :-D butt
around? I think power chairs are a good thing..but a manual is
by far the better for you.. For me if it was easier to roll in here? I
had no carpet anywhere? well I would not insist on this power
one.. but the way it is now.. I do need it..I wont stay in it all the time.
but I need the time away from this one..specially now when its so
straining to move this one.. I guess I could have kept the monster
from that company but then I couldn't get around in it either so
was useless..they still have not offered another temp one..

I have rested a lot today and my therapist, councelor , Theresa,
came too and shes so worried about me bless her heart, she
knows every little detail..her poor ears what she has to endure
when she comes here..My cats all over her..Dutch dug her phone
out of her pocket cuz he spotted the cord..snuggled up next to
her and went to sleep..LB he was ALL over her like I had not
seen him act in a log time..nuzzling and rubbing and laid down
for a while next to her as well.. I kept apologizing for how they do,
but she really loves it.. we talk and I notice how she will pet and
rub them.. she had a cat a few years ago and it died I think and
she misses it terribly, so much its hard for her to think of replacing
it and she has 3 children..that miss it too ..she says she told them
that perhaps this summer they can get one, but the more she is
around and loved on by my two shes ready to get one now lol..
They do really like her from the 2nd she comes in the door..they
stick to her..its really cute, but she loves it..shes amazed how fast
the time goes when she is here..we both are we talk like we have
been friends for years..shes very very sweet girl... we like her..

Well Im tired and time for a laydown.. I woke up t 3 am and have
been up since, well I did have a couple desk rests lol. I had to..
My computer acted up and I couldn't get a signal thru to my
monitor which was caused by the batteries needing replaced in
my keyboard..well there is a certain way to do it or it wont come
back on.. took me 2 hrs to figure it out..needless to say I had to
have a desk rest right after I got so angry with it..But I ate lunch
was my fav..meat loaf..sure can tell they have a new cook too..
too bad they didn't find one better than the last one..lol. All is
A-OK..not to worry ..Y'all are just the greatest and I really do
appreciate your tender loving concern for me.. Im being good as
best I can..all I can do is TRY and you know me.. Im GONNA
do that :-) "nitey nite" :-)

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? love ya..and thanks again :-)
Always, Lois ****
Ps. My Bp is 169/96 still high but soon will be down soon lol



God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

6 Comments:

  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In my nabe, I see a few people in both manual and power chairs. The smaller power chairs can go on an airplane. Lois, you made me wheelchair accessibility conscience. Many of the NY concert halls are not wheelchair accessible, even one of the new halls has poor w.c. turnaround in the men's room. One theater has a special handicap restroom.
    I hope you will get out in the spring for some fresh air.

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lois my Sweet, You are not lazy - you are GORGEOUS. Butt seriously, I know you would like to use the manual chair -but you can't always, and the power chair has it's advantages.

    Now all this talk about butts....Hmm....

    Well, I know you will get your new power chair - and it will be just right for you!!

    Always thinking about you....butt........... (smile)...

    Bare Hugs,
    Butty

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No needing a power wheelchair does not mean your are lazy...Anyone that think that need to spend some time in a manual wheelchair. Even trying to push someone is very hard work at times.
    Lois it sound like you need some more bed rest my friend. I guess it take time for your blood presure to go down.
    It sound like the doctor don't know anything about wheelchair and trying to get around in one inside or outside.

    One town had all there city poeple go around in a wheelchair for a month..... the side curb and walk were make to fit a wheelchair after that... anyway that what I heard...in that town you can see it is easy for the wheelchair. It just 20 miles from me...
    Even having a power chair if the curb are not right, it still hard to get around.
    That why so many like the street to drive in.
    God bless you Lois
    Mary

     
  • At 4:50 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning Momar :-)
    Im up early again.I feel pretty good but will be going back to bed in a few, I am still tired but my back started to ache, I Had to get up. I think a place that doesnt have a place for a chair doesnt deserve anyone there. I was shocked at even the hospital, another lady and I had to sit like ducks in the hall.

    I have a great screened in porch that will be great, and already planning stuff for summer. I have a big enough yard for 100 people lol. Your all invited lol..

    Hi Butty !
    I think anyone in a chair needs both, one for in one for out. I told the doc..I just want one that works, and I'll be happy ..taking 6 months to get one is ridiculous, shows the great system we have here for disabled doesnt it.. Good to hear from you Butt it always is :-)

    Hi Mary,
    My BP goes up and down and very irradical.. My heart is reblocked, and that doesnt help, blocked arteries make your heart work harder to pump the blood, that makes my pressure go up, and then with the stress getting me so upset doesnt help at all, and only makes it worse..

    They passed a law for everywhere to be accessible butt they arent, many places say so yet are very hard to get into. on level cement a manual is fine..but anywhere else a power chair is better unless you are hercules lol..

    That was a good idea about making them use a chair see what its like..it is SO NOT EASY. I get very angry at mine,, but Im grateful to have it, Im not mad at the chair, I realized but the fact im IN it..

    I hope y'all are well..safe..and have a great FRIDAY!! week end ahead yippee! lol :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey,
    Lazy? You? Never in a million years!!! It is amazing that you Dr. hasn't any imagination!! Can't she figure for herself just what a struggle everyday things are for someone in a wheelchair? I think you are wonderful, the way you cope with everyday life, Bless your dear heart.
    I wish the town council in Minehead would do what Maty's council did and ride around in wheelchairs for a bit. It doesen't take a lot of imagination to see where drop-curbs are needed. If I can, as a "normy", then so can they. A para friend of mine was complaining about this only yesterday.
    Now, don't go over-doing it, you hear? Take care, Honey. L.O.L. & G.B.H. from
    Raife

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Morning Raife,
    I think every town should do that if they care about us.. ITs not just the amps etc like me but so many of the seniors, the DEARIES..are in chairs and I shudder to think how they suffer and have no one to advocate for them..to YELL for their rights.. They are so intimidated by even the COA, and theyre so afraid to lose what little benefits they have say nothing.. Wish I could get on that board.. i would too lol..id go to that trust me.. I dont think those over there would like it worth a crap. I bet they would spit I just roll in there!! lol on the phone they can hang up on me lol..

    In nurses training we had to wear heavy heavy glasses and rubber gloves and try to function..so we would KNOW what the Dearies are going thru..that was NOT easy but we found out real fast..

    I wish I could do more to help..
    I feel very lazy sometimes tho :-D.. but we all is allowed that lol.. The pressure is still up n down ..like me..we match lol..
    have a good one~~!!!

    Luv ya! Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker