ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Thursday, April 26, 2007

~Kinda Chilly~

We are having another day of rain...and it is chilly, so much so
my furnace came on.. I felt that air blowing out of the register
and all I could see was the gas bill going up..When I lived with
my 2nd husband we had a wood stove and I remember my
first thought was no gas bill... well I will tell you..I would rather
have the gas bill for what I went thru with that wood stove,
the mess, the work, the smell, was tedious..
It was located right in the middle of the livingroom..had like a
special floor under it..and there was a big square box in the
smoke stack or pipe..that big tube that comes out of them..
It had a fan in it and when that stove reached a certain temp
that thing would turn on and blow all that heat that was going
out that stack into the house..Kept it really warm and was a 3
bedroom house...it was worth every dime for what we paid
for that thing, a Denny, I think its called.

We had a tree service, so we got our wood for nothing and
we sold wood thru the winter months to make extra money.
We had a wood splitter and that made it easier to cut up
the tree limbs etc. When there was no wood left by the
stove..Willie, my ex, would get the wheelbarrow and fill it
with wood, roll it thru my kitchen and across the carpet and
dump it out by the stove. 9 times out of 10 there was snow
on the porch where it was kept and that meant there was
a wet track all thru the house when it was time to restock
the supply...Then to clean out that stove, the ashes if you
dropped anything in it it was like a dust storm and white
dust was everywhere, and this had to be done alot. Was
NOT fun... cuz I HAD to do it..

I had never been around a wood stove even though my dad
used that to heat his garage. I never paid attention all I knew
was warm in there and we had wood piles in the yard.. I had
NO idea how to build a fire or keep it going. I learned REAL
fast..If you don't have the right kind of kindling and paper etc
you will NOT start a good fire- enough to get chunks of wood
to burn...There is a technique to it..trust me..It took me quite
awhile to learn this, after many burnt fingers and a few
choice words when those logs didnt catch...I learned..it has
a trick to it..no kindling, no logs on fire.

I would stay up late and keep the fire going then in the wee
hours of the morning it had burnt down to nothing but coals..
Willie wasn't that familiar with wood stoves either.. So guess
who I called and asked " DADDY, I cant keep my wood stove
going all night, what do I do?" He laughed at me and told me
to lay the logs on the ends..not the sides..cut them in slices..
and they will burn longer.. I tried it and it really WORKED! I
was so glad to find out..Meant I got more sleep..Willie would
wake me up and say "Its cold in here, go fix the fire". AND
like a dummy I would get up and do just that ! Well I was cold
too and I wanted to go back to sleep and if he went,, well he
would make a big scene and my doing it saved alot of ear
trauma.. :-)

Donnie and I talked about the wood stove one day, remembering
the trials we had with that thing.. When Willie would be gone, I
would NOT allow anyone in the house unless they carried in some
wood for me. Willie would go to Florida for weeks at a time, leaving
me alone and with a wood stove..he made sure there was plenty
OUTSIDE, all cut up, I had to bring it in...That was a pain... We
laughed when we remembered that I called Donnie to come by
every day and he got stuck most of the time bringing in wood!
He asked if I remembered the times when Willie would crank up
that wood stove so high loading it with wood that it glowed RED,
and was almost transparent where you could see in side it.. He
was very cold blooded..In more ways than one too ..

I should explain who Donnie is maybe, hes a good friend I met in
83, in Wisconsin when I was visiting my brother, he was a best
friend of my brothers, wife's, son. He wanted to get out of home,
and start his own life so to speak, he knew we had a tree service
and we offered him a job, and said he could stay with us till he
could afford his own place. When he moved to Indiana to work
and live with us, he brought his high school sweetheart, Kimmie,
she was a beauty, blonde, and tiny..They lived with us for a year,
and just before Kelli, their daughter was born they moved into
their own mobile home a few miles from us.. I babysat Kelli so
Kimmie could go back to work right away, she was a very
hyper girl..and needed to stay busy, which a new baby would
do that but she needed to be back to herself for a while and
Willie and I loved having Kelli everyday, the real time we did
argue was over who Kelli was going to spend the day with.
She loved to go on tree jobs with "PaPa". Next month she
will be 22. Kimmie died when Kelli was 4, and Donnie is
now married to Dawn. They are all like my own kids.. I
watched Donnie and then Kelli grow up... and they both are
great people..and Dawn is a sweetie..

Well so much for the woodstove and who Donald is, and its
time to eat my lunch that I didn't have time for at noon, my
Counselor, Theresa was here for a few hours.. She hasnt
been here in quite a while.. I was sick once, then so was
she.. Shes so nice..easy to talk to.. She gave me a nice
compliment today, said that she thought I looked really
good, she liked my hair, said I looked very nice. I was so
pleased! Made me feel good...So now, this really
GORGEOUS Weeble is gonna go have a late lunch, I
AM hungry.. "Nitey Nite" :-)

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? love ya, and thanks!!
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

6 Comments:

  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger momar said…

    My memories of wood stoves:
    I used to share a loft on Hester St. in NYC. There is a film about immigrants on Hester St. with Carolyn Kane. I paid $25 for my share in 1961. Sol Lewitt, the painter, had a loft several floors below. Wilhelmena van Ness had the loft either above or below. Willie had a pot-bellied stove which burned coal or wood.
    Vermont has so many wood stoves that there is air pollution from the smoke. I would love to build a solar heated house in the country with auxilary wood stove heating.

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Momar,
    So nice to hear from you..My parents used to have a coal furnace in the house, then they switched to gas and my dad took that furnace and made it into a wood burning stove for out in his garage, worked really well..

    Yes, a house with solar heat and a windmill for electric you would have no bills.

    In the country? by a lake? dont for get ME!! lol.. hope you had a good day, and how is the new house coming along? hope your well..
    take care...
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    QUOTE LOIS:
    She gave me a nice
    compliment today, said that she thought I looked really
    good, she liked my hair, said I looked very nice. I was so
    pleased! Made me feel good
    :END QUOTE

    Honeydear! Dont tell me that you are surprised.... Cause you cant be surprised when a fellow human being just tell you the simple facts and truths of life....
    YOU SIMPLY IS THE MOST GORGE...... Ah what the heck, you ought to know all this allready. If not you are slow like syrup, as i allways tell you these facts. Kiss all over sweet you, my dearest lovely woman.


    Guess who?


    its your own


    R O B E R T

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Lois
    It been chilly here all day too...I turn off my heater a few day ago when it was so nice and warm out side...that make it twice I turn it off a little to soon...so this time I just put a jacket on and going to wait it out...
    I really don't remember the wood stove when I was small...I just remember Mom taking about it, and how she love the wood smell.

    God bless you Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey,
    Thank goodness for my "Stan". (That is what we call our Stanley cooker/boiler). Just click a switch on his progremmer and you have central heating. It has been so mild here this Spring that we turned the heating off at Easter. Stan stays alight to do the cooking and keeps the whole house warm - we love him dearly!! (except when he throughs a wobbly and throws a relay out and has to be re-set).

    Yes, like Robert says, we ALL know that you are GORGEOUS!!! ;o) We don't need someone to tell us!!
    Take care, Honey. L.O.L. & G.B.H. from
    Raife

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Rob,
    YOur so cute.. and say the nicest things..But we never see ourselves as others do.. :-)

    Hi Mary,
    Another miserable day today ..rain rain go away...I never had to deal with one until I got that house..then I learned real fast..

    Hi Raife..
    You say sweet things too gee I feel special :-) hope your having a good time with your sis..take pictures!
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker