ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Saturday, September 27, 2008

~Question Is~


Is your pain when you get phantoms, better or worse than
the pain you had before your amputations?? This was Rob's
question in the comments last nite.. Before I say anything
else, first; Rob, you have steady read this blog since day 1,
I am very grateful for you being such a dear friend, thank
you.. Now, to answer your question... :-)

The pain before was mainly concentrated in the calves of
my legs, the back muscular part, when I was not walking or
on my feet I had no pain, well no, just before they were by
passed the pain seemed to be anytime, when I was on my
feet or not. If you have ever put your hand wrong for a
time and got this real picky stingy feeling, unthawing as I
call it, that's what the pains were like, they were very
severe and constant at only certain times, A different kind
from what I feel now.. The Phantoms...

I guess they call them that because theyre invisible pain.
Some times its just cramps and a ache, mainly for me in
my feet. Some times I get this horrible stabbing feeling
like a huge needle is being jabbed into my heel.. THAT
really hurts. I find if I change positions.. sit differently,
shift my weight so to speak, that helps...

My remaining leg, the stumps, I don't know why they were
ever given that name and who ever did could NOT have been
an amputee.. Its hard enough, but to have part of your body
called a part of a tree? and the part that's the hardest to
get rid of on a tree.. To remove a stump costs almost as much
as to take the tree down.. How do I know? I had a tree service
for over 15 years.. In Texas and Indiana... But we arent trees.
I think its because our arms and legs have been labeled LIMBS.
so the residual of a limb.. is a STUMP! :-D.... anyway... back to
the comparison...

I myself think the pains now are worse, because they never stop.
Only time I don't feel something is when I am asleep, but as soon
as I am even the slightest bit awake, my first thoughts are 'how
do my stumps feel?' When I wake up and feel ok, bad word, but
normal, like I am totally ME, I just about don't know how to take
it I'm so used to always feeling something weird. I just sit and
enjoy the feeling for as long as it lasts, which I know it wont be
long till I feel the crampy feet.. or the pressure that they are
being pushed up. Its like when you try on shoes, and you have
to have pressure from the shoe, being pushed on to your foot.
That's kinda how my invisible leg part feels most of the time.
Like a pressure pushing them up against my knee.. Its weird.

When I sit, if I concentrate REALLY hard.. I can sit here and
move each toe, one by one, I feel them move. I know where
my feet are all the time.. My invisible legs have gotten shorter
though. When I sit and feel where my feet are they only reach
the top of the gray tire in front, many times I feel my feet
are on them.. My feet also feel like I am on my toes.. like tiptoe.
I cant seem to get my foot to go flat.. Whats really weird and
I have to admit to me I'm still not used to it after all these
years.. When I sit on my bed, watching TV or whatever, I feel
where my legs and feet are.. and they go right through the
bed.. when I look down, that's what it looks like anyway.. so
even my eyes are deceiving me.. :-)... it is strange though...

So Rob, yes, the pain is different and its worse yes, but its
really more bearable.. its not a pain pain ... its uncomfortable.
where if I change how I sit or what I am doing it will fix it.
Before, the only thing that fixed that pain was surgery.. I
can handle this.. sometimes not as easily as others ..but its
doable.. I hope I answered your question Rob.. :-)

I got my angel food today as was most grateful to get it. Its
only 30 dollars for over a 2 weeks supply of food.. and its
all good.. It helps me a lot.. and they deliver it which sure
means even more!.. I'm hungry so that means time to post,
eat, and OUT of this chair! This GORGEOUS WEEBLE
says "nitey nite".

Y'all have a good one, now Y'hear? love ya and THANKS!
Always, Lois ****

"God Bless You", is my prayer today.
I'm so honored to call you "friend".
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again.......

3 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lois

    I wish something could be done for the phantoms you are having, is there any medicine for it you know of?

    Bob want to go back so he can look for diamonds again...once was enoughs for me. but if there was a way I would go with him.
    God bless you Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest dear little Lois!
    Yes you answered my quest, and as allways in a more than fantastic way.... But thats the way you are.... F A N T A S T I C !
    Give my regards to your residuals of limbs, and kisses all over dear you!!!!!!!
    ROB

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary,
    They give you meds for it but how can they work when its all in your head? Nothing I try works... Diamond hunting is ok if you find them !! lol..

    Hi Rob,
    Good, Im glad I did.. was a good question.. thanks :-)

    Love N'Hugs,
    ALways, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker