ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Friday, October 24, 2008

~Solved the Beep Mystery~


For weeks we have been going nuts hearing this "BEEP"...
Penny has gone down and searched the basement 2 or 3
times.. She came today and we are both in the kitchen
and we hear that invisible "BEEP".. Its a smoke alarm,
but where in the hell is it? I mean it was making us crazy!
Penny went down the basement right then, again, and she
really looked, she came back up a minute later with a smoke
detector in her hand... That had to have been a great battery
We didn't know it was down there, 2 years now, and that
has been beeping for at least 2 weeks... Penny took the
batteries out of the one here in the living room and bedroom,
we were going to find out WHICH one it was.. We heard
the beep and KNEW then there was a 4th. The reason it
sounded like it was in the kitchen I think the sound was
coming thru the furnace vents.. I dunno for sure but I am
SO GLAD she found that beepin thing... Why would they
have one in the basement anyway? Well I guess a fire can
start anywhere. The inspector said it wasn't necessary to
have one in the bathroom and there is none in the kitchen.
Which I guess there should be.. All the fires Ive started
were in the kitchen.. NOT deliberately, ACCIDENTALLY!

When I was in the apartment, it was such a nice big roomy
place, sad it was mis managed so badly, but Hope Network
is not all it claims, not the one here anyway. I had my
computer in the living room and I was online of course. I
had put a pan of potatoes on to boil for potato salad. I
reached, turned the knob and rolled back to the computer
to wait for them to cook. The next thing I knew I heard the
smoke alarm go off, I looked at the stove and the whole
back burner was on fire. I had set a wooden box back there
that had knives in it. I had turned on the wrong burner, and
the wood was that cheap balsa and was like kindling, it burst
into flames from me turning the burner on of course..


The pot with the potato's in it was right there so I just tipped
it over and the water put out the fire. The only damage was
to the box and the smoke in the apt.. The woman next door,
Penny, came rushing over and helped me to clean everything
up. It happened really fast... The 2nd time I did the same
thing again, I had a ceramic like big jar holding all my stuff
I use to cook, wooden spoons, ladels etc. I reached, turned
the burner on and rolled away...

Same thing, I hear the smoke alarm go off, telling myself "NOW
WHAT"... looked at the stove and smoke, no flames, were just
pouring out of that jar thing, I heated that thing up and it got
so hot the wood handles in there started to smolder and smoke!
I could hardly see in there in just a matter of minutes.. When
the smoke alarm goes off the boys run and hide. So I knew
they were in the bedroom under the bed or hiding in the closet..
I went and looked and both were there, so I closed the door and
went and opened the outside door I had in the living room. The
smoke poured out. I put a fan in the doorway to pull the smoke
out of there.. It worked really great, thank God.. :-)

So much smoke came pouring out of my door, the workmen at
the apartments came running over to see if my place was on
fire.. I was sitting by the door cuz the smoke burned my eyes,
the one guy came charging throught the door like a bull elephant,
yelling "IS ANYONE IN HERE??" He spotted me sitting there
as I said, "yes, I'm here its ok, just smoke, no fire.. I set my
kitchen jar on fire by turning on the wrong burner". He smiled
and said how easily that can happen, asked if there was any
thing he could do, I said no and thanked him and he left..


The next thing I did, AFTER the smoke cleared was went and
got some of that trusty gray duct tape, I always thought it was
ducK... I put a piece of tape over the back burner knobs on my
stove, no one was gonna be able to turn those 2 burners on.!.
I should have done that after the first time. It never happened
again, and ive not done that here, the only time the smoke thing
went off was when the toast got burnt and it smoked and set
off the bathroom one. The inspector said I didn't need one in
there anyway.. I don't have a stove here and when I use my
frying pan I don't leave the kitchen.. I only will leave something
cooking if its in the crock pot. I'm very careful.

We are clean and are stocked up ready for Kelli and Jorge and
Alex. I am anxious to see this boy. Kelli said he is a very good
baby, hes such a cutie, he needs to know his GreatGran. The
boy stopped by last nite as he had to come in to Meijers. I saw
his new jeep and its RED!!!... I forgot what year he said it was,
but I LOVE jeeps, maybe because I went so many times with
my dad in his, and that's what I learned to drive with.. 4 on
the floor... I can drive a stick...:-) I'm very talented you know..
Donnie said the jeep came with a plow so you know what hes
gonna be doing and maybe pretty soon! We are expecting snow.
Said a front that's going thru Kansas dumping snow is headed
right at us, so we can expect some and they say it may have
60 mph winds... Windy like that is when its NOT good to live
on a corner... :-)
But I do so oh well.. The kids will be here tomorrow and Jorge
will put some plastic on the porch for me if no where else.. I
think I will get a cover for the air conditioner and just put
plastic over the inside of the window. Save dragging that in
and out. Donnie did good all around it so I think this would
save a lot of extra work. I'm gonna be draft free this time.

The time now is food, I was busy with Penny and we didn't
eat lunch so I need something and then I am due to get a
netflix today, I'm watching that and then its time to get
out of this chair for today.. Time for my GORGEOUS
WEEBLE "Nitey Nite" too.. :-)


Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? Love ya and Thanks!
Always, Lois ****

PS: I don't know what bloggers problem is I didn't do nuthin
to nuthin.. as long as y'all can leave comments is the main thing!

"God Bless You", is my prayer today.
I'm honored to call you "friend".
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...


5 Comments:

  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh I hate it when the batteries start beeping, specially when I don't have a battery to replace it... We try to have one in every room...and trying to fine the right one is hard to do at times. Since the children are all left home we don't have as many now. Yep we need to buy more 9 volt for them...and some of them quick working.
    Lady of the house is on TV, going to watch it now.
    God bless you Lois
    Mary

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey,
    Trouble with smoke alarms in the kitchen is they are ALWAYS going off. Just a fry-up sets 'em going - even if you don't overcook the bacon!!
    Same problem in the caravan (Sorry, trailer!) you barely had to boil a kettle for the thing to do its nut. A bit like the boy crying "Wolf"!! We used to have to disconnect the battery and remember to re-connect, later. Oh, yes, a beeping battery means it's nearly flat, time to change it and shut it up!!
    Ah, but could you manage four on the floor, WITHOUT SYNCHROMESH???
    Actually, you would probly manage quite well with one of those real old cars with the gas and ignition in the middle if the steering wheel. You could do clutch-less changes just by timing things right - its quite an art!!
    Take care, Honey,
    Luv Ya
    Raife

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember when I was staying on the otherside of the river when I was born. For 38 years all I heard was "You started the fire that burnt down the house." Found out it was the electrics. Funny ol' world. Oh our smoke alarms are connected to the mains. Every power cut scares the bejesus out of the Minnie Me, Wife and dog .... in no particular order.
    Peelnig pain, making toast... Screwsville.
    Love and Hugs,

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hiya Honeyboy,
    No wasnt you burnt the house down, we thought you started it cuz you always played with my lighter and we found it in the kitchen. but when they examined the house, the fire started in the cupboard..you didnt do it. Everyone knew that... You was bad but not THAT bad hehehe...

    Hope you, minnie me, wife and dog are well.. good to hear from you !!! :-)
    Love ya Son,
    Mom...

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary, Raife,
    Smoke alarms are mandatory when you rent. Theyre a good thing if they arent too touchy.. I didnt know we had one in the basement..about drove us nuts, Penny couldnt find it !! lol..

    Movie time for me !!
    Love N'Hugs,
    Lois

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker