ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Friday, February 20, 2009

~Cold out ~

BRRRRR... cold day. We didn't get what they said we
would but we are under winter storm watch again for
tonite.. says 4 to 6 inches.. I expected to get up this
morning and see lotsa snow out there and theres just
a light dusting.. not bad at all. Tomorrow morning may
be different. :-( I hope its not too bad as I am
hoping to have company Sunday. And if the weather is
bad well I don't want anyone on the road driving to
come here just to spend a few hours with me and I
worry the whole time about the roads. So hopefully
the worst will be north or south.. east or where ever,
or even next week.. I am looking forward to seeing
my company its been awhile...

Penny came today and I told her how good her egg
salad was- that I ate every bit of it.. So today she
made some tuna salad... I havent had that in ages
either. Well COA sends it sometimes but they put
celery in it and ICK ! I don't like celery, any more
than I do carrots.. :-) ICK... Carrots are very good
for you.. Its proven the carotene is a cancer
preventer and will help cure it as well... I heard on
TV on a food show of course, which is what I mainly
watch.. and mangoes have carotene in them too,,
I didn't know that.. Good to know..Ive never had
them but I think they are something like peaches.
and I LOVE peaches...

When I lived in Elkhart, I canned food every summer.
One of the best, tastiest things I made were canned
peaches.. Willie and I would drive up here to Michigan
to one of the many peach farms and buy a couple
bushels of them, just freshly picked from the trees.
I made fruit cocktail as well.. My canned peaches I
want you to know were better than Del Monte .. :-)
At suppertime, when Donnie and Kimmie lived with us,
I would put 3 bowls.. one for them and Willie, and
put a pint jar of my peaches on the table for them
and the count would begin...

Kimmie and Donnie would get a fork and put one slice
of the peaches in each bowl.. so they all had the same
number of slices.. If there was one slice left, they
would divide it! And if one of them cheated.. Donnie
would get all upset and Kimmie? she would jump straight
up in the air, and yell.. "NOT FAIR".. and grab a slice
out of Donnies bowl as usually he was the one with more
slices than anyone else.. Willie didn't care he knew if
he wanted more he'd just go get another jar.. The kids
knew they better not.. at least not with out telling Willie
first.. But those peaches were good.. When Kelli came
along and the jars had to then be divided between 4 of
them.. well I had to make quart jars then :-) Nothing
like fresh canned food.. or homemade jam.. which I did
that too.. strawberry and raspberry, which is my favorite.

Speaking of food, I'm hungry and its time
to post this, and get some more done today,
so that means time for my GORGEOUS
WEEBLE "g'day, g'day".

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? luv ya and thanks~
Always, Lois****
"God Bless you", is my prayer today,
I'm honored to call you "friend".
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...


3 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger MaryC said…

    Hi Lois
    It got to 64 F today, but that winds was real cold to me unless you were in the sunshine.
    Sure hope you company get to come over for you,I guess you don't need that snow either.
    I used to can a lot when my children were young, had so much fun doing it all...never could can peas right...so I froze them. That was the good old days for me. We had big garden back then.
    God bless you Lois and keep you safe my friend.
    Mary

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Lois sweetie,
    Just been reading your letter & boy did you make my mouth water about the way you used to can those delicious peaches, since Peaches are my most favorite tin fruit of all.
    Then I had to smile when I read about you & the carrot because we eat loads of them so I guess we have enough carotene in us to keep the nasty C away. I am all for advice on anything.

    Oooh you also did home made Jam
    too. It always tastes better than bought doesn,t it?
    We used to collect Brambles here in the uk every year & I made lots of Bramble jam & Bramble jelly.
    Over there I think you call them blackberries though !!

    Funny how we have different names for the same things isn,t it?
    I used to get into trouble when we lived in canada for saying things the English way, then finding out that it meant something entirely different over there, Grrrrr!
    Guess we English folk are sometimes though of as being funny huh )??

    Yes see ! now I am getting hungry talking of all these delicious foods lol You sure set me off Lois.
    Love you though so I will let you off ha ha.

    Catch up again soon & thank you for all your lovely mails etc.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend & keep well honeybunch.

    LOve N Hugs AUDREY

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Wow Mary! Your havin a heat wave! :-) Enjoy it while you can.. I expect about may to enjoy that kinda weather lol... I loved canning.. specially tomatoes..

    Hi Aud!~
    So nice to hear from you.. Yes canned food you do your self is always the best.. the most flavor.. its alot of work but worth it... Noo I dont like carrots.. ick.. lol Stick with me hon, i'll teach ya the correct words :-)

    So nice to hear from you !!!
    Love N'Hugs,
    Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker