ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Friday, June 26, 2009

~Gramma's Swing~


That swing is one that hung on my gramma's porch.
Ive sat on that since I was a tiny tiny girl and would
visit my gramma and grandpa, my moms parents.. My
other grandparents were my grandmother and father.
They were quite different familys but both had swings
on their porches. I had many good times on both and
the sort of things differed I enjoyed whilst sitting on
the swings, differed as much as my grandparents. :-)

The swing at gramma and grandpas was on the front
porch but when you swung on it it went out over the
end of the porch and if you kinda leaned over when
you swung back you could see the ground. The edge
of the house was on a hill which made the swing even
more fun. We werent allowed to be careless because
of that fact when some of my cousins were there too
and we all played together and of course the swing
was right in the middle of our games, it was always
included whether it was a flight to the moon or just
a slow leisurely swing and just enjoying that. It was
well used.

When I would visit gramma and grandpa's for the
week end, most evenings after supper, when grandpa
would go sit in his chair and listen to his radio or some
times the 3 of us would sit out there .. When gramma
and I sat there she would sing sometimes and then
other times she would tell me about when she was
growing up in England and describe life there and tell
me about all the family that they left behind when
she and grandpa and his 2 brothers decided to come
to America. Mostly I remember her gently pushing
the swing and humming her favorite hymns while she
pulled me up close to her side and held me.. It was
such a great time, no one can hug like gramma :-)

After Gramma passed, she died quite a few years after
grandpa, my mom wanted the swing, it had many good
memories for her too, so dad made the I frame for it
and you see it there by the back door of my parents
house where it was until '90 after my mom died and
when I had to move out of it. I gave it to my cousin, to
keep in the family since I couldn't take it with me. I
don't know where it is today, but whomever is swinging
on it, which I'm sure some one is, that they can go to
all the wonderful places I did and enjoy the time with
whomever they are sitting on that swing with ! :-)

Yesterday it was 98 outside, and by the time Chris
turned the central air on I was past a meltdown I think.
I was nauseated and a couple times I had to sit in front
of the freezer. I would go into intense heat spells where
I got so hot I felt I was gonna pass right out. She turned
the air on about 12:30 and that thing ran until past 6 to
cool this place down. I slept all night and I slept good. I
feel a lot better today and boy I sure am glad.. I cannot
take the heat at all. I have to stay one temperature all
the time and since Ive been an amputee I'm even worse,
THAT I notice...

Penny came today and she enjoyed this nice cool place.
Mary your package is on the way, I am trying that new
flat rate shipping, which someone that sends a lot its
a good thing and supposedly cheaper. Well truth be known,
Fed Ex is cheaper than the post office to ship things.
So watch for your box Mary... In the meantime, this
COOL GORGEOUS WEEBLE, I'm still HOT tho :-D...
Says "I'll be back!" :-)

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? love ya and thanks!
Always, Lois ****

"God Bless You" is my prayer today,
I'm honored to call you Friend.
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

3 Comments:

  • At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Audrey said…

    Hi Lois Sweetie,
    Well I finally got round to reading your letters here, just seemed to have so much to catch up since we got home from canada,
    Wow!! such hot weather you are having, hope you manage to keep cooler this weekend Hun Bun, it must be so tiring for you.

    Over here we have had fog for two days & although it is 62f it feels so much cooler on this north east coast.

    So sweetie how are you doing We have been thinking of you while we were away & hoped you were keeping ok.
    I missed your mail & chatter, cause you make me smile so much with your wording ha ha! bless you.

    I bet it has been too hot for you to do much , as in your / sewing on your machine etc.

    Well you take care Hun Bun & please keep in touch when you can.

    Love you,
    Audrey

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Anonymous momar said…

    I always had a swing set as a young boy. My daughter had a swing set. I also remember the rubber tire hanging by a steel cable which hung in our swimmin' hole. My dad paid $25 to pay the farmer rent so we would not be tresspassing.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Audrey,
    So nice to hear from you ! Glad you had a nice visit with your son. Hes very handsome and what a beautiful dog..

    Hiya Momar,
    We had a tire swing for Kelli, she loved it..

    Hope y'all are having a good week end!
    Love N'Hugs,
    Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker