ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

~A Church In Texas~ :-)

I had to take a photo of the dragon fly..pretty isnt it? :-)

When I lived in Pasadena, Texas, I belonged, well WE,
Willie and I, joined a little Baptist church called Park
Temple Baptist Church and Brother Andy Kyte was the
pastor, Brother CB Tiner was the associate pastor. It
was a very small church and that's why we chose it.
It was more like joining a family that cared about you.
You walked in there a stranger, but there was no way
the members let you leave that way. You felt welcome
and just enjoyed the fellowship and especially Brother
Andys sermons.. They could bring a grown man to tears
and I am witness to that, because he did ALL of us, his
sermons were so touching..
Brother Andy was a very big man and had the loveliest
wife who sadly we all watched and supported him as
she slowly died from cancer. We all shed tear for tear
with him as he wept openly. Brother Andy was a very
devout man, a true believer and had a true calling to
be a pastor. We all loved him dearly and we all looked
forward to going to church, which is how it should be.
Not going because you want to show the world that you
do.. One of my favorite sayings is, 'because you are
going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more
than being in a garage doesn't make you a car!'..
One Sunday before Sunday school we all saw Brother
Andy arrive, go into the trunk of his car and he dug out
this old dusty tire. He put it on the ground and rolled
it into the church.. We all looked at each other wondering
WHAT in the world was he doing? Brother Andy put
that dusty dirty tire right up in front of his pulpit in full
view, you couldn't help but see it.. He did NOT say one
word about it, just a "good morning, lovely day to be
alive isnt it" was his greeting to us.. We had NO choice
but to wait until it was time for the sermon, which that
day seemed to take forever! I just could NOT figure
out what his sermon could possibly be about that old
dusty dirty tire ? Everyone was eager... You could almost
hear a sigh as Brother Andy started his sermon with
"I KNOW y'all are wonderin' just what this here tire
could possibly do with this days sermon, so .. look at it..
its a SPARE TIRE.. Only taken out of the trunk when
you NEED it.. that's how some treat religion isnt it?"
We all smiled and knew it was going to be a moving talk,
I know I was eager to hear it.. I think we all were.. He
continued......

"When you are in a bad spot, what do you say? Oh GOD...
or GOD help me.. but you WAIT till YOU NEED it.. not
use it EVERY day.. so I call it Spare Tire Religion." He
went on for about an hour.. but that was one of the BEST
sermons I think I have ever heard.. and doesn't that just
about describe it? So many do that when now days with
such things going on about taking God out of so many
political things and school things, its awful.. I wont do it.
and I REFUSE to reword my pledge of allegiance.. I use
my religion every day, I thank God for being allowed to
have every day, good or bad. When I sit and look out my
back door I thank God I can see and hear and enjoy it
all.. I may not go to church, but I believe and I for one,
don't have spare tire religion :-)

Penny has given me an update, as she is here today, the
baby kitties are just as cute as can be, and they are all
safe and growing, the mom is turning out to be a good
one which Penny is so glad.. 3 white ones, 2 black and
white and 1 solid black.. shes not handled them to say
boys or girls.. I am very seriously considering getting
one.. I get a try out first, I would be so upset if I
took one and one of my boys was mean to it, which I
don't think they would but.. well LB is 7 this month
and Dutch is 6. They arent babies, spoiled like one,
but big boys :-)

Well we have lots to do as I am hoping to have company
in possibly 2 weeks.. lots I want to get done.. When the
plans are more definite I will give you details.. But until
its written in stone I don't want to jinx anything, this is
a MOST important visit that I have waited a LONG LONG
time for.. I will keep you updated..

Lunch time, post time and my GORGEOUS WEEBLE
warning.. "I shall return!" :-)


Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? luv ya and thanks !
Always, Lois ****

"God Bless You", is my prayer today,
I'm honored to call you Friend.
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

4 Comments:

  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Spare tire story ... just wonderful.

    d

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger MaryC said…

    Lois loved it.... its a SPARE TIRE.. Only taken out of the trunk when you NEED it..wow how true that is at time for some... going to tell about that story to my pastor...

    I've got more meds to take now...Levothyroxine ,Crestor and Metiformin ER...and a few more vit too...and I have lost 1 1/2 lb too.
    The Taco Bell food upset my stomach a little this time...I think I was a little stress out because of the doctor visit...so good to be able to see a doctor and get all the meds I need.Turning 65 has been a real blessing for me.
    Out pastor use to be a big man, but when his wife died all that weight started going down...He now is 190 lb and plan to stay that way...
    Love all your pictures, you know I do.
    God bless you Lois.
    And it good to come here in the evening to read your blog.
    Mary

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Anonymous raife said…

    Hi, Honey,
    Last couple of nights, as I say my prayers, I've had to say "Sorry, Lord, I've not been in touch with you again to-day!"
    Oh, Lord, if we forget you this day, do not Thou forget us.
    That dragon fly is one of the reasons that I believe. There appears to be no good functional reason why it should be so beautiful, just that the Lord is good and made it so. Same with so much in the natural world that He created.
    Well done, Honey, those pictures are great.
    Take care, Honey,
    Luv Ya,
    Raife

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hiya d,
    Im glad you liked it.. its so true isnt it? :-)

    Hiya Mary,
    Yes, pass it along to your pastor..it IS a good sermon for EVERYONE .. I heard that sermon over 20 years ago, and I have NEVER forgotten it.. :-)

    Hiya Mr. BusyMan Raife :-)
    Good to hear from you.. We all need reminded every once in awhile.. Keep me updated!! A hey
    to Adam :-)

    So very nice to hear from you:-)
    Love N'Hugs,
    LOis ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker