ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What a Storm Last Nite !


I HATE storms.!!. We had storm warnings last night that let me tell you
the windows rattled the wind was so strong.. I shut down and Im callin
the boys.. they follow and we hide our patootie butts in the bathroom..
I dont know who was movin faster me or them but we were runnin lol..
We all got in there and I could hear the wind and rain thru the air vent
in the ceiling and I dont know who was more scared..the boys hid in
their cat carrier and I rolled into the shower next to my shower
chair and waited.. I think we sat in there for 2 hours . The wind howled
and the rain you could hear pinging as it hit that vent. Good thing I
was in the bathroom ya know? lol..

Where do we go that live here? There are 18 apts here and 95% of us
are in chairs. There is NO storm shelter. If a tornado hits we might
just as well as bend over and kiss our butts goodbye, cuz we may end
up in the next county as bad as some of these storms have been ...
And last nite was a bad one, the rain didnt let up all nite...
This kind of thing worries me tho. What do we do? Theres no where
here that we can call a storm shelter. I go to the bathroom cuz its
in the middle of the apt next to the interior hallway and plus I can
hem the boys up in there..They follow me where ever I go, they
take every step that I roll..ITs funny my chair is so quiet..they
can be sound asleep and wake up and follow me lol, must be some
kind of built in radar...

The guys building the apts next door did a big NONO they messed
up the phone lines and we lost our phones for 2 days.. I sat on my
bed that evening and thought, HOW would I reach someone if I
had a attack or fell or hurt my self.?. How would I get out to reach
even Penny next door with no way to call anyone. When we went
thru the building to see if we all were with out service some of the
sweet ladies here , when I asked "do you have a phone? is it working?"
They get the phone, pick it up. say." hmm its dead. well NO WONDER
I didnt get any calls today, I thought every one was mad at me !"lol.
No one but a caregiver that was here, had a cell phone ..well who
can afford that, with a regular land one too...and who goes anywhere
anyway is what I thought ...till later...I felt totally helpless and I sure
didnt like that feeling. Its not a good feeling to be helpless,
that is ONE thing I dont like about being like this.
but really I guess even with legs and no phone that would be the
same cut off feeling but I think its the how do I call for help issue.
There are alot of things. you cant yell cuz no one would hear you.
I never hear anyone, even Jane commented on that, how quiet
it is in this building..very seldom you see anyone outside or in
the hall unless its time for the mail...lol, then I think the mad
dash is on..Some people..well even me..from yesterday until
friday when jane comes back the only person I will see is the
boy that bring my guess what it is lunch, and thats just in and
out.. I try to explain that to him when the boys hear him at
the door and make a mad dash to see who he pets first..I think
they get tired of me lol. I know Im not the only one here that
lives like this, some here have no one..yet no one is involved
with anyone else either..yet know everyones business..lol..

These kind of things b4 really didnt bother me, I guess because
I didnt have the helpless feelings like I do now. since Im in
this chair. There are times when Im trying to do something
and Im trying to roll this chair the way I want it to go that I
say,, "I HATE this chair".. but I reallyI DONT..im so grateful I have it,
maybe I just dont like being in it all the time I guess ...I KNOW
my butt sure gets tired of it lol..well cant blame it though
when I get up and start sittin on it at 4 am until Lord knows
what time at nite..I get insomnia sometimes really bad and
I go on only 3 or 4 hours at the most..then I just fall out
and power sleep for 5 :-)

Well I hope the storms are done for a while and its not storming
anywhere else..I think something is drastically wrong with the
weather its changing so much, we get hotter summers and shorter
winters.. but, let me tell you tho... I have SEEN some snow here !
It can snow so hard you cant see your hand in front of your face...but
I like it..I love the change of seasons..RIght now all the leaves are
almost in full color as we call it.. I think the last time I saw the fall
colors was..hmmm had to be in 99 . Been awhile..nothing like a
drive and see all the trees with all the orange and reds..and golds,
beautiful country. Up North in the UP of MI its all National Forrest
and the rides are breathtakingly beatiful..my sis makes a yearly
trek up to see the colors . Lucky dog.. :-)

Well I had late lunch so no snack.Im not really hungry it was kinda a
stressful day a run in with someone that upset me a tad..but oh
well, thats what keeps it all at running speed as they call it. So,
the boys are waitin for me..they have been at it all day too fighting
over who gets this bare spot next to my computer, so its time for
the Head Cat here to settle them down lol So I bid thee Bonne Nuit
mes amis... I think I spelled that right lol.....
Say, some great guesses today, Im curious to find out myself!!!

Y'all have a good one now y'hear? luv ya, thanks..
ALways, Lois***











1 Comments:

  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    At 6:55 AM, momar said…

    I grew up in Kansas and Missouri where we had lots of tornados. One even passed over the KC stadium while the NY Yankees were playing the KC team baseball with over 30,000 people in the grandstands. Note that I said skipped over. (Luck - people) I always have the radio on at night in case there is a tornado in the middle of the night. (I wonder if I would wake up.)

    Momar.. TRUST me.. you would wake up.!. 30,000 ppl tryin to escape? well now THAT would be the GREAT escape i think..

    Thanks for commenting.. Y'all are doing good with the contest!!! Come on.. GUESSSSS lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker