ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

~Gardens~



Spring is sprung, the grass is riz, I wonder where the flowers is? :-)..

Planting time and I am SO jealous of all those lucky people that get
to go outside and dig in the ground, plant their flowers or veggies.. I
really miss that. One friend said they were making 10 hanging baskets
to hang around the veranda, well thats what I call it. I think now its a deck..
lol...Can you imagine in 6 weeks time what those hanging baskets will
look like depending on what they planted? So many wonderful flowers to
choose from and what's so great they have something for sun, shade and
all areas in between lol...

That first photo Is of my dad, and grandfather, (his dad) see the flowers
behind..the hollyhocks.see the date? 1936..isnt it nice to look back..see
people you love and can remember them? My Grandfather is the one
I wrote the story about his desk that is on my other site that you can get
to by the link over on the side that says My Stories. I wanted to show you
the garden, the flowers.The house behind them is my grandfathers- where
my dad was raised..Lovely home..huge place..I loved it there...specially
when I got to try on my grandmothers jewelry or play in grandfathers desk.
Sometimes I even sneaked up to the attic..THAT was a treasure trove up
there...Massive steamer trunks full of wonderful things.

This one is my grandpa's garden (moms dad) I think that is my mom
standing to the left of my grandfather I am not sure.nothing was written on
this photo and you can tell its very old...One of the very few we had of
grandpas favorite place in the whole world I think. He loved that place..
and was constantly out there or in that front barn there where he did all
his work..and the smaller one behind was the chicken coop where he
kept his chickens, he raised rabbits too. Some of the biggest rabbits I
think I have ever seen in my life...But I dont believe he had them at the
time this photo was taken. But I love the overalls my mom has on. I think
I have another photo of her in them is why I think it is her.. :-)

The Next is me of course..you see the little blonde beauty next to me is
Gail..well Gayle now.I was 3 or 4 - this photo wasnt dated,surprisingly.
but look at the flowers behind us.hollyhocks again. My mom kept that
whole side of the house as a garden...as she aged the gardens gradually
diminished in size and in the number she had. She loved flowers, tended
her gardens faithfully.You will have to overlook the quality of the scan I
scanned them perfectly but they were so big I didnt know how to make
them smaller and them not lose quality.I am NOT sure how to do this stuff
but I LOVE it lol...Please to notice the saddle shoes? lol...


Ok..this one is me of course..with my kittie..notice the flowers behind me,
see how lovely they were. the hollyhocks, snapdragons. daises, and yes..
do notice the clothes..the dress in this one and the last..My mother made
all the clothes I wore and my sister.. She knew what we each liked and it
was a compliment to her when someone would comment on how nice we
were dressed... This was a favorite dress..Green and the bottom was
burgundy.she knew I like kinda full skirts.so she did her best to get them
as full as possible for me, I know she did...

This is Gail and I again..older..I think I must be 11 or so..she is at least 18.
My mother made our skirts and blouses..notice the wide belts that were so
popular then.. But look down to the side of my sister and see the garden...
just starting under that huge tree, the tree is a Mountain Ash, red berries
on it..by the time my dad took that tree down I couldnt even reach around
the trunk..and was bigger than the house.. the birds loved the berries that
hung in huge clumps..did make for a messy yard at times.. but was a great
tree. my dad replaced it with a black maple I think...lovely tree as well...
those were tulips and lilly of the valley shooting up.The photo had to be
taken early spring.. The previous photos were taken over to my right by
the side of the house. Arent we just beauties tho? You can see the
difference in each of us..Gail is Italian..

Well there you have some pictures and some little tales about some of the
gardens of my mom's.. Now you can see why I love flowers so much.. This
last photo was taken of me before going to my junior prom.. My dress is a
pale blue chiffon..but look at the table sitting in front of me..see the lovely
daffodils? From my mothers garden. :-) there were always flowers in the
house..and I would say my love of them stemmed from her and her love of
them as well...See what photos can do? I have the best time and hope this
didnt bore you silly..but you got to see GORGEOUS me again..and meet
my sister I was raised with..Gail, and notice the difference in her and I..Ive
not seen or heard from her since 1990..I wont bore you with those details..
but I am sure she has not changed alot...My sister i refer to now is Shirley,
my blood...we were just not raised together...but very much alike...

Well I made a pot roast last nite that is now ready and sitting in my crock
pot waiting for me surrounded by luscious gravy and potatoes..and yup..
I AM starved.. Hope you enjoyed my GARDENS :-) Nitey Nite....

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? LUV YA!!! and THANKS :-)
Always, Lois****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...



8 Comments:

  • At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had some friends in Santa Monica, California. They were both PhDs in anthropology. Their living room had a forest of virgin mary statues all lamps. That is how they lit their livingroom. When people got a divorce, they collected wedding photo albums.
    It must have worked - they had two fulbright scholarship grants over the years. One to Nigeria and one to India.

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    Another interesting post with fascinating photographs. Thanks for all your labor writing and assembling your post, Lois. I really enjoyed your photos and the stories behind them

    -Gray

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning :-)
    Its amazing when we stop and think of all the people that have come into our lives at one time or another isnt it? And Momar, I think you know everyone in the world.. lol :-)

    Thank you Gray, how nice to say, Im glad I didnt bore you.Everyone talking about planting etc well see what happens? I make you suffer looking at me lol..I think the next photo barage will be of cars..I have some great pics ...some I have no idea what kind they even are lol...might prove very interesting though.. :-) and maybe kinda fun..I LOVE PHOTO's!!! :-)
    Hope y'all have a good day... :-D
    ALways, Lois****

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    We have some daguerrotypes from the 1850s or so, but it is not simple to reproduce them well. It's an amazing experience to look into the eyes of someone connected to you who is long gone.

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI LOIS...THIS IS RICHARD, I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT MY GRAN PASSED AWAY ON MAY 10.
    THANK YOU FOR BEING HER FRIEND. SHE ALWAYS SAID YOU WERE A REAL SWEET PERSON AND SHE REALLY LIKED YOU.
    RICHARD

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    My Dear RIchard..
    Thank you for letting me know my Dear Friend has passed on.. I loved her dearly... I sent a mail to the addy you used. Mine and your Grans, favorite song is playing in it the .."Train of Life"... You were a good grandson to read for her and I know you will miss her.. Just remember, every time YOU think of her.its because SHE is thinking of you... :-) Thank you Richard..
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Plants information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Well hey!! thanks for stopping by! I still love gardens. wish I could have one now..so these old photos are next best thing :-) come back any time!!! Coffee is always on :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker