ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Sunday, May 28, 2006

~Old Times~



Holiday Parades, I remember one I was in for kids. I was about 8 years
old I think.. My cousin Larry, is the little man standing next to me. I am
a bride, aren't I just lovely? Look at the flowers..and my mom even let
me put rough on and lipstick.. I can remember standing there in her
bedroom as she took my blonde hair and pulled it up top of my head,
it is and was naturally curly, not so much now..but she used her finger
since it was still damp from washing it, and twisted it around her
finger..and made the curls for me. I can almost feel her finger as she
gently smoothed and lightened the lipstick she put on my lips, when
i see her face she is holding her own lips out as if she was doing hers
as well as mine.. something like when you feed a baby- they open their
mouth as well as the person feeding them. like it helps somehow....She
had a small round container that held her rough. was red.. and inside
when you lifted the lid..was a small round pad that she used to wipe
across the rough, then gently pat it on my cheeks...She got out her
bigger round box of loose powder, said "close your eyes" and I could
feel the powder puff as she patted it all over my face...She put her
hands on my shoulders, turned me to face the big mirror on her dressing
table and said "ok. look now dear".. I opened my eyes and well I think I
still have that cute little look on my face in that picture up there.I KNEW
I was just pretty..

The dress I have on..my mother made for me.. she could make anything
it had a white background and tiny pink and blue flowers all over it.. and
the lace around the neck and the Vshaped over skirt, was white... I loved
that dress, I wore it to all the special occasions.. I knew how lucky I was
that my mother could make ANYTHING I asked - If I saw something
in town on saturday when I would go with my friends.I would rush home
to tell her where and what it was.. she would go and look at it..buy the
material and pattern and with in days I had the exact same thing hanging
in my closet.. NOW you know WHY I have such a thing about clothes..

My cousin Larry is standing next to me.. He is 2 years younger than me.
He lived on a farm and we got along great..had alot of fun together... He
got to ride the bus everyday because he lived very close to the Wisconsin
border way out there on M-73. I loved going out there. I got to ride home
with him ON THE BUS, on friday, rode it to school on monday and went
back home.. Larry and I had a ball.. My Uncle Stanley & Aunt Edna. had
a huge farm..lots of acres.. a stream ran behind their huge farmhouse..
and way down on the far end was their own lake...They had every year
a big party or gathering of family when it was time to Hay. and all the
family would go and help..I would spend the weekend out there and my
Aunt Edna, wow..she WAS a good cooker!! ALL my aunts were..they
all had to be the best and no way was my Auntie going to let me go home
and tell my mother ( her husbands sister) that SHE was NOT a good
COOK!! oh no no.. So when I was there my Aunt made sure that she
fixed all the things she knew I liked.. cookies or her homemade pie
and she also made saffron but not rolls like my mom the bread..and
I love saffron to this day...Larry and I played many many weekends out
in that hay barn..He and I used to make the fishing flies that I found in
my dad's taco box lolol...after David called the fish lol...Larry and I
would make them for our dads.. Great memories...all because of
that one photo.. I could go into more detail about my trips to the farm
talk about fun.. It was.. I got to spend summer out there alot too...I
havent seen Larry in wow..43 years I bet..and last I heard hes just
over by Chicago.. hmmm and guess what? hes a Veterinarian i
heard too.. be nice to see him and show him this picture.. hmmm I
should try to find that little groom of mine :-) buggar married me
a LONG time ago and I bet he forgot wellll :-D

I love going thru these photos the one up top for that kids parade.We
had a great time.. they gave us candy and everyone yelled at us as we
walked down the center of the street in front of everyone...smiling and
waving.. The hardest part was..see those cute little white shoes I HAD to
have? well talk about some sore heels after we walked what seemed to
me to be 20 miles! I remember that parade.I am amazed that I do.but
I look thru these old photos I find I DO remember these things.that its
the photos that are reminding me that I do- to just sit and THINK long
enough and you WILL remember...and look at that pair up there. Now.
even though its me. isnt that just cute? ohh and say. look at the car that
is behind us.. That I think was my dads. see the old truck across the
street at the neighbors.? .their name was Sutherland..and the old guy as
we referred to him, drove that truck and we all knew when he got home
cuz he SLAMMED that truck door so hard.. lol..he worked in the mine..
and I guess he was glad to be home...Well any miner is always glad to
get home and out of those holes in the ground.. I dont know how those
men can do it.. I cant.. Im too claustrophobic... those ones that do Lord.
what courage. Im a BIG CHICKEN.. oops..ok ok Chickeny Weeble lol

These trips down memory lane I love them but guess what? lol yup...
just made me hungry.. and I am gonna parade right out into that
kitchen and have a little holiday food.. I made some potatoe salad..and
I have some brats in the freezer..and well its CHOW TIME ..lol..I hope
my little trip didnt bore ya...got to admit I was a cutie even way back
then and I am just gorgeous NOW lol.. see?
Nitey nite.. :-)

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? Luv Ya!! and Thanks.. :-) ****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...


8 Comments:

  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bon soir,
    You made a beautiful young child bride.
    Robert

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember band concerts on holidays. When I was young, our family used to go to a lot of outdoor events until the 50s there was little air conditioning. We would go to a lot of films in the summer because in Kansas City, MO it used to go up to 100+ (40C) a lot in the summer.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Thank you Robert..
    Its me but well I was a cute kid lol...:-)

    Hi Momar...
    Our summers in the UP were great..not real hot just good weather, its all changed now, even the weather. Still home though :-)

    Always,Lois****

    Ps. See time? I couldnt sleep :-(

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Lois,
    WOW!!! A GORGEOUS gal at each end of the weblog. Thank you for the lovely story and the lovely pics.
    Take care, hon, lots of love and a double helping of hugs, for the girls at each end of the weblog!!
    Raife. XOX XOX XOX XOX XOX XOX

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning, No, Good Afternoon lol...thank you Sir, how kind of you to say...I'm glad you like my little story's. Its so much fun going back in time...such good memories..I am So grateful I have them... :-) and..good friends to share them with...
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow hon!
    You have allways been pretty... thats for sure.
    KAO
    ***+*
    Your own ROB

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Gray said…

    What a fine photo and a fine recounting of your childhood.

    Thanks, Lois

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Well thank you Rob, :-)
    thanks too Gray..fun to go back in time isnt it?

    Always, Lois****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker