ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

~The Neighborhood Store~


I have a friend that lives in Brooklyn and he calls where he
lives his Nabe, well Neighborhood. Small shops and stores,
of different nationalities. Reminded me of the little neighbor
hood grocery that I dealt with there in Buffalo but also one in
Pennsylvania, when I lived there with my first husband..this
was back in 1965.. The grocery store was owned by 2 men,
a father and son I think. Name was Lucci..and very Italian..
They had a little store that sat on a corner, and it didnt have
a lot, but pretty much stuff you would need and use.. Lots of
the brand names and things in the store were Italian..The
Nabe we lived in was mostly Italian, my ex was Italian...

My ex mother in law dealt with this little store and so we got
in the habit of dealing with them as well..I liked it.. All I had
to do was call on the phone and tell one of them what i wanted
before 10 am and by afternoon it was delivered..THAT was
great..They had fresh meat..Tony was a butcher, reminded me
of that movie "the butchers wife"...except their store had more
than just meat in it.. I liked having my groceries delivered..It
would be great if one did now..All we have here are Speedway
Gas Stations..or 7 - 11's..or Quick Marts..not like that little
store was..these carry everything but not the kind of personal
way that little store did, there are so many people in and out
that they have a hard time remembering I bet who was in there.

Growing up there were 2 one was called Cavadias's..and the
other Sadino's.. just small grocery stores..I could walk to either
of them from home they were so close. Cavadias's..was the
one I bought my first pack of cigarettes from. and when I wanted
a nice big variety of penny candy, they had the best around...My
mom knew which of the neighborhood stores to go to in just our
little town I can remember 4..Pedo's and the other was Baker's
were the other 2.. each in their own little part of town. Long gone
now.in fact even the town is gone..All annexed into one..Once
there were 4 little towns..now there is only 1. and not that first
neighborhood store anymore either..Time changes everything...

Rained ALL day, and my stumps feel like they could explode.. I
am so grateful that pain in my right one has almost gone..And
It very seldom sleeps any more..I think I get more than IT does
NOW!! :-).. Sitting on this cushion helps. I still have some times
at night tho that my lower back will ache and I can feel my stump
start to stab a little and I know its time to shift around.. One of
these days when Donnie isnt so busy I know if I ASK he will
come and flip this mattress for me..I really think its time..I always
lay in that one spot..so its probly INDENTED with my butt print
...well 4 years..I would think it would be embedded in that
mattress lol...I hope this rain doesnt go into a storm..Im almost
afraid to turn on the TV to find out.. Then all I do is sit and worry
and WAIT to see how bad its gonna be..Usually if the boys get
REAL nervous and hover..I can pretty much guess its gonna be
a bad one..amazing how animals know..

Well thanks to Raelynn going to the store for me.. I guess I am still
getting my groceries delivered, and I sure appreciate that she goes
for me..I have fresh strawberries in my fridge, and I have some fresh
pound cake she picked up today--3 guesses what this gorgeous
weeble is gonna do now? I think I just might need a taste of that stuff.
and if this chair shrinks cuz of it..well WHO CARES .. :-) its ALL good
hitting publish.and ready ,,,,,set......go!!! ha! Dutch is gone...me too!!
Nitey nite...

Y'all have a good one Y'hear? luv ya and thanks.. :-)
ALways, Lois ****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

4 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Gray said…

    You posted early today!

    I'm sorry that your stumps feel so uncomfortable today. Perhaps a long gentle massage would help. Or at least distract you.

    We finally have fine dry weather here.

    Have a good night!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Gray,
    Yes, I got up at 4:30,, and I got those strawberries..and Im headed to watch TV and see how much longer this rain is gonna last..

    Rain and changes in the weather sometimes makes them feel HUGE..and just so miserable..maybe the strawberries will help ya think?? worth a try hey? :-)

    Hope you have a great evening Gray..see you soon hon...nite..
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like it! Good job. Go on.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker