ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Friday, February 23, 2007

~Wheel Chair People~

Past few days ive been writing and griping I guess a bit
about wheel chairs and the places that arent open to us even
though they are supposed to be.. How unless you are really
around a chair person and have to really witness what they go
thru on a daily routine..you don't really know what we do go
through .. I know I didn't . that morning I got up and the stinkin
ONLY light in the kitchen blew out.. way up in the ceiling..well
fooey..I had to just sit there in the dark! lol..Or like the other day
when Lewis and Warren were here to do this other window..
Warren had a skil saw and needed power, a place to plug it in..
The only place was behind the recliner..He reached behind...
UNPLUGGED my radio..used his saw, unplugged his saw,
and left.. when I went to turn the radio on later well.guess what?
I had Penny plug it in.. cause I cant reach it..so I had to wait till
the next day for her to come and plug it in. I cant move my
recliner by myself .. Ive tried.. that thing is so heavy.. well its an
electric one.. the foot rest goes up by itself..and will stand you
up..they thought be good for me and no ..you still need weight
on that foot thingie for it to go down..didn't and don't work..
Before Lewis left I asked him to please put everything back for
me cuz i cant carry it or move it..he did and didnt mind at all,
he had moved a little table by the window and I cant carry it
and it wont push.. he had put it in the kitchen and was in my
way.. I could have pushed it out there tho. but where to? I
would have to had constantly moved it to move around out
there till Penny came the next day. I have to have this room
to maneuver my chair..lots of people dont think of the chance
that later in life or anytime really they could end up in a
chair and is there house adapted or adaptable? this day and
age..well it might be smart to do..lol..

Before when I went out .. i just got in my car and went. parked
shopped came home.. NOW.. I have to make sure where I go
is accessible to me..that I can get around IN the store let alone
get INTO it..I can ride in a higher up vehicle and get into it ..I
can use my board and pull my self in by grabbing the seat and
make whom ever is holding my chair lift up my board and kinda
dump me across .lol. well so I slid INTO the car , truck or what
ever..its easy to get out just slide downwards.. but to pull UP
and back..and lift at the same time.. its really hard and I know
once I just couldnt do it..and I was really upset I couldnt. I had
to have Que help me that time.. her car was TOO LOW ..lol
so to get back into my chair once I slid down into her car to get
back up and out of it.. i could NOT do it..I thought i was strong..
I am but I sure wasnt that time.. but its not easy taking a power
chair with you either..it is if you have a van..and a ramp..mine
the battery pack came off and it could fold up and go. It could
disengage the batteries and be pushed.. but was heavy too..
and to lift it into a trunk of a car well be hard for a woman .like
Penny, she would have a hard time..even my manual to fold it
and lift and put into the trunk..isnt easy to figure out a way for
it to fit.. .sometimes you have to try different ways to put it in
there.. Raelynn left part of mine out once and it started to
rain on the way home..and the trunk couldnt close cuz of my
chair she had to tie the lid down. my chair got so wet.. it
dried..but all this has to be taken into consideration now for
me or anyone thats a " Rider" :-) not the truck either lol..

When I went to the Drs I did have fun.. I was so conspicuous I
was.. that waiting room filled up really fast.and they had to even
put chairs out in the hall.. I sat there and said really loud too,
I said " gee look at all of you STANDING.. I aint gotta do that
no more I bring my own chair with me" one lady there laughed
so hard.. and a little girl about 10 or so she laughed too .. There
were no chairs left open in the waiting room and that little girl I
could tell didn't feel real good very pale.. so I reached out and
touched her arm.."said honey, I have room in my chair..wanna
sit with me?" as I kind moved to the side a bit to show her I
had room there, she smiled so sweet. and says "no m'am..but
thank you" smiled and went and sat in the hall.. she was so cute..
I think she maybe would have.. but she looked up at her mom..
and mom kind of smiled and turned and went out to the hall..
But I hope it made that little girl feel better and not be afraid of
a chair..I think lots of kids arent really afraid but think maybe the
person in them that there is something REALLY wrong..and if
you put them at ease..they accept it and are better later on...

My little nephew.. Tyler..says "Auntie....you HAVE NO legs!!"
I looked at him and said .. "yes Tyler I know..does that make
a difference..I have a nice chair with wheels now" he looked
at me..kinda patted my left stump...touched my chair..and
looks at me with these HUGE blue eyes..says "NOPE.. I'll
help you Auntie, can I push your chair?" lol .. I wanted this new
computer desk..saved up for a long time for it..and then it
went on sale..so I had enough to get it.. I called my boy, Donnie
asked him to go and get it for me.. he phones from the store..
says "Gran,, they got a matching CHAIR, want it too?" I said
"Donnie honey, I come with a chair Hon" , I could hear
Dawn in back laughing.. All of sudden kinda quiet I hear him
start to laugh he says "SHEESH, DAWN! why'd you let me
call? lolol. we laughed .. but he doesn't see me in it, maybe
cuz hes used to it.. well only time he really notices is when Im
in my power chair.. hes scared of me when im in that..im bad
too.. seems all I say is "look out ..MOVE..watch your toes"

But speaking of chairs.. ive been up for quite a while and Im
kinda pooped ..I was all set to watch TV last nite ..fooey..
I didn't even get the bloomin COVERS up!! I was OUT like
a light lol.. well I paused too long after I laid down lol.. I did
wake up at 3 am with the clicker in my hand and the TV was
still on lol.. I musta been tired ..and didn't realize how tired
I really was.. oh..the BP is still the same as last nite..well ok ..
a few bits ..a tad..higher but ok..not to worry ..im going to bed
rest ..not desk rest..

Oh..my dear friend Mary is in desperate need of prayers for her
brother. serious throat issues and headed for surgery ..pray
for them..shes a dear friend..his name is James Howard..we
need prayer warriors please,

Nitey Nite... :-)
ALways, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

10 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Prayers?? I'm on the job!!
    I feel asleep in front of the TV too - then woke about 2 hours ago feeling as if I had slept all night and it was only 11.30. Ah well I'm going to bed now to try and sleep some more. Hooray! it's Saturday tomorrow and no need to get up early for work.
    Keep resting my friend and get that BP back down under control.
    Kiss the boys for me xx
    Julie

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Lois, you are a blessing to me...Going to bed now...Mary

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I think of transfers from a chair to a car seat or sofa, I think of a transfer board and a trapeze artist because you are so high above the floor. If you ever fall and you are alone, you can call 911 and the EMT's will help you back into the chair. They do not have to take you to the hospital.

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Julie,
    Thanks so much. I seem to be doing that every nite, I try, but that eyes shut button on my tv clicker my finger seems to find too easy ! lol..
    Its doing ok,Im stayin out of the line of fire so to speak. :-)
    Hope you have a great week end.. good to hear from you :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey,
    This Prayer Warrior is on the job, too. Hope James is doing O.K.
    How my Russian friend copes with her chair in her car, I don't know. I found it really heavy to load in to the trunk in my car when she visited. That's why I suffer from sciatica, now, I think. I found a lot out about "No Go" areas for chairs, too.
    Take care, Hon, keep that B.P. coming down. L.O.L. & G.B.H. from
    Raife

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary,
    Keep us updated so we know how James is doing. Take care of yourself now, your plate is very full... and we need you, you know :-)

    Hi Momar,
    Yes, 911 will come and help a person back into their chair, I had to call them once, when I had that infection still in my left stump I was still very weak and skinny and just couldnt do it.. I sat there looking suzy frumpy and saw these 2 wonderful EMT's and vowed I would LEARN how to get back in my chair. I fell out again..I got back in my own self..even though by then I WAS GORGEOUS lol.. I only use my board to transfer into a car, not in here. I pull up even to whatever as I dont have the foot thingies..and then just hold on and move FORWARD lol.. backwards is hard ..but isnt in everything though :-) hope all is well by you.. take care..
    How is the movie documentary coming along? you will be so famous :-) and I knew you WHEN lol.

    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning Raife,
    Thank you ...
    Yes, chairs are hard to load, trunk or back seat, I have heard there are new easy ways now to load your chairs to car top carriers, that have a lift to pick it up for you, put it in a box on the roof of the car and off you go. Ive not seen one but only heard, for someone that drives it would be a good thing.

    Im feeling good and the BP has a mind of its own, sometimes its hard to change it lol..its like me :-) but we is doin oki doki here..not to worry :-D Hope Management is improving...
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hon I DONT see you as a woman in a chair i see a wonderful friend that is my Lois with or without chair. But great these things (chairs) are available. Cuz if they dont you had to use prosthetic legs, and wouldnt that be awful lockin in these wonderful remainings in cold and sweaty plastic. And that would not be the cozy little i learnt to see.
    Take care dear!
    KAO´s
    ****+*
    Your own
    ROB

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Lois, you and mary have my prayers and the prayers of my family.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Rob,
    so nice to hear from you .. you are so sweet and say the nicest things.. I enjoy reading your dear comments means alot to me..

    Hi AnnaMarie,
    Nice to hear from you and thank you so much prayer warriors are such a good thing.when I get a prayer request I immediately send to everyone I know and call them which we are, warriors- as they are powerful and we know prayer is a powerful thing, i think I am proof of that to have made this far I could not have done it with out prayers and tlc from family and friends. thank you from me and from Mary as i know she would say, shes off to Tulsa to be with James.. hes 71..Bless his heart..
    Thanks AnnaMarie..your very kind.
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker