ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Monday, May 28, 2007

~Rehab~


In 2000 after I had the last of my surgeries they put me in a rehab
center, I was in a chair then even though I had both legs. That year
alone, that summer my right leg had been bypassed twice and my
left at least once. The right, they had done a bypass and taken me
back to my room and the pain got so horribly excruciating that they
had to take me back to surgery, I don't remember what they did
and all I remember the tod me was that it blew out and had to be
redone right away.. I was kept so drugged as I had the triple heart
bypass in may and then had an abdominal bypass in I think July
or august..and then my legs on top of that.. They were worried , I
do remember that I could not get thru more surgeries.
My legs were so weak by then I couldn't trust them to stand let alone
walk..so I was in a chair in that rehab in Indiana.. It wasn't that bad
a place as everyone in there was so nice ..and the staff ..they were
wonderful.. The Pillow is what I made in rehab.. The activities lady
that wanted to try to give us encouragement to do things..found
out or I maybe told her ..that I LOVE to sew, to make things.. she
brought in this piece of material and I made it into a pillow and
before I left there I had all the staff sign it.. If you look closely you
can read a lot of it..They all wrote such sweet nice and encouraging
words to me.. The lady that gave the material to me wrote right
there on the right bear..it says the names of them are, faith, hope,
and love and remember them always.. which I do try to do.. She
was so nice, named Pam. you can see there are not many empty
spots on it.. I had the administrator track me down so he could
sign it too..he said "Lois, everyone else has signed and not me,
you are not leaving till I do.." I had looked for him many times
but he was always doing something..was a very nice man...

The people in there were mostly long term. It wasn't that bad in
there although the state I was in I don't think It mattered.. So
many young people, a girl in a car accident and hurt so badly
she couldn't even talk let alone move. I tried to every day go by
and say hello to her.. There was a young man, in his 20s or so.
very depressed cuz he had been injured so badly and they
were not sure he would walk again..he mostly slept, but they
still would make him get into a chair every day.. made him so
mad. I would wait till he was in the chair and go by and say
hello to him..and he never answered..just would look at me, I
would wait for a while, and then leave, telling him I would be
back and he better get used to me.. I did this for weeks..and
one day I was rolling past his room and I didn't see he was
in the chair I was busy watching PinBall as I called him..
but he actually Yelled at me! he said "HEY! your not gonna
say hello today?" I stopped and looked at him and was so
surprised! I told him "HEY! I was just gonna see if you
would MISS ME.." he laughed and I did too.. He was a good
kid and just not accepting what his life was giving him and
I felt so bad.. He was still there when I left..and he DID sign
my pillow..

There were 3 other amputees there.one, the man, I don't know
his name, was in a power chair and he kept beeping to make
people move out of his way..He was going down the hall one
day and went past me..there was a old lady in front of me..
and she was right in the middle of the hall so he couldn't get
past, these power chairs arent real noisey and you can sneak
up on people specially if they are hard of hearing.. He got
right up behind that old lady and beeped that horn he had on
it and that poor lady screamed and peed her pants right
there in the hall.. The guy sat there and laughed!!! I was so
mad.. That poor lady almost stroked out.. I think they took
that bloody horn off his chair and he was NOT allowed to
have another one..So what he did after that was just scream
at people to "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" lol..It was funny
there..I felt bad for that old lady, but I still had to laugh :-D

I mentioned PinBall.....its a name I gave this dear little man
that would go up and down the halls.. he would go from room
to room and if he wasn't watched he would go into a room..
and take stuff just to put it somewhere else.. he crossed the
hall going back and forth to the rooms, he looked like a pin
ball machine ball..being knocked all over..but for him was a
zigzag line down a hallway.. If there was anything on the
walls or doors he could reach, he was in a chair, he would
take it down.. He had a good time.. I used to sit in the hallway
with some of the other ladies there and we had a good time.
We would watch the others and comment and more often
than not laugh at someone. :-)

I wont drag this post on..but maybe tomorrow I will tell some
about the other ladies there that were both DAK's like me..
one older and dear Kathy only 19...she had a hard time..
It was not as bad as the hellhome here.. That rehab was a
very nice place...very caring staff... Time for food again..
Lunch was not delivered to day as its a holiday I will fix
some soup or something.. Robert came and cut the grass
now all I need is the fence fixed... I wonder if COA will pay
Robert to do gardening and fix the fence? I sure would love
the flower beds fixed and them trimmed.. I saw today that
Menards has the shepherds hooks on sale, buy 1 get 1
free..that's just what I need for the bird feeders.. one in back
and one by this window here.. Those feeders are so
expensive.. There are so many cardinals here is amazing.
I see one at least every few days.. Gorgeous bird.. I think
I just need to win the lottery...would that be good.. I would
head to Europe for a SUPER vacation.. and visit friends
there as well... Time for food and time to say "NiteyNite"

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? love ya..and thanks :-)
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

6 Comments:

  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It would be fun to head to Europe for a vacation. Gas or Petrol is about 90p a liter (quart) That's about $1.80 which is about $7 or 8 dollars a gallon. The reason the cost of living is so high is that they have cradle to grave social benefits in the EU including 7 weeks vacation in France.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was good reading about you, it is alway good to be a blessing to other.
    It been a quiet day here for us. We did take Becky out to eat for Lunch, she love the Taco Mayo place the best... She did get sick later after...I think she got a little bug or something going around...
    Anyways hoping we don't catch anything...no time for it.
    You have a great Tuesday Lois.
    God bless you.
    Mary

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there again Lois
    And you worry that you have nothing to say each day!! What an interesting story that was - thank you for sharing it with us.
    Petrol in the UK is expensive - more that Momar says. I am paying 97p pence per litre (my car takes diesel) which is over $8.60 a gallon. But it's not all doom and gloom here - I love England it's a great place to live and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else for long.
    I am working at home this week - great! it saves to long crawl into work.
    Julie x

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Gray said…

    Great job, Lois. That was in interesting post.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Gorgeous Sweet Lois,

    Your pillows are beautiful - you do good work. But of course I knew that.

    Do hope you get your grass done - I did mine Sat - which was a good thing as I hurt my shoulder Sat night - hopefully be better by the time the grass needs it again.

    I am sure you were a big help to the other people in the rehab - a great story about the guy who wouldn't say anything.

    Take care for now - thanks for the good email story today - I enjoyed it!

    Bare Hugs,

    Butty

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning! So nice to read this..Im pleased to know you like my tales, I enjoy writing them. one of these days I will write that book, probly be taken as fiction not fact tho lol..

    Hope Y'all have a great day, so nice to hear from all of you.. Ya make my day.. thanks..:-)

    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker