ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

~Rehab2~

I think I was in rehab about 3 months or less.. I know
I was in the hellhome by November.. I wasn't in rehab
for long as I wasn't considered a resident of Indiana
anymore and moved up here to Michigan.. I was put
in rehab until they found a place for me up here, which
they found the hellhome. Rehab wasn't bad at all.. I
had a sweet roomie named Robin..and her last name
was the same as mine..was confusing to some of the
new staff when they came on and they had to make
sure when it came time to give out meds that we each
got our own..

Robin was an elderly lady and just sweet as can be.
She had no family at all..and she and I got along just
great.. She had the bed by the window..and her little
side of the room was fixed very nice, but she had been
there for quite awhile..recovering from a serious stroke
and was just learning to walk again.. she did very good.
One of the nurses, Katy would come in after giving out
the meds and she and I would chat for awhile..and
poor Robin hated that..One day she told me.."you don't
have to have so many friends and just talk all the time"
I tried to include her, but she hated to leave that room.

Next door was a young girl named Kathy..19 or so.. I
am not sure but I think she was in a accident and lost
both of her legs. She was a very big girl and had a
hard time transferring by her self..which many many
times she tried to do and sadly wound up on the
floor.. She had gone into the bathroom one morning
and had slipped or something off the toilet..she got
wedged down between the toilet and the wall and
was laying on one arm and all her weight was on it,
so she had no push up power..all she had was her
other arm..she tried to grab the toilet flusher, and
when she did she grabbed it in such a way that it
broke off and water started to go everywhere.. I was
going down the hall and heard her yell " HELP! I'm
Drowning in here! " everyone ran.. and helped her
up.. the whole room got wet as the water sprayed
right out thru the door of the bathroom.. Pinball
was headed into her room before the others got
there and got soaked too.. he screamed too, said
"its RAINING in there!" and took off like a scalded
dog down the hall..I laffed at him :-)

I felt bad for Kathy, she was trying so hard..and it just
seemed it was just not easy for her.. I had no idea at
the time I would end up just like her.. She was crying
one night and I heard her..I went to her room and asked
her if there was something I could do..would she like to
just talk for a while.. She confided in me..she said she
felt her life was so ruined..who would want her now, and
how would she do anything..let alone live by herself..she
was seeing every possible thing all at once.. I told her
to just take it one day at a time..solve what ever problems
are that day and go to the next.. I assured her that being
so young..naturally everything looked like it was going
to stretch into eternity..but time moves very fast..she just
needed to learn all that was going to be available to her
like she was..that I was sure there were some people that
could help her.. She talked and cried for a while..then we
both decided that we were doing the best we can and
that life still is going to go forward..and we knew we both
wanted it to go on..When I left , Kathy had a boyfriend she
met there..and they were very happy.. I saw her the morning
I left and told her that things were getting better and she
agreed..

Being an amputee is hard and not easy at all.. theres not one
day that goes by that there is not a test to see how we can
fix a problem or do something.. I find that daily..there is always
something that tests my patience .. and just makes me KNOW
how hard this is.. :-)

It is so hot today and I am most grateful for this fan..I havent
talked to the boy about his weekend get away as I think he
maybe didn't have that great a time since it rained all week
end.. I hope he did and got some of those mushrooms he
had to have and cost him a fortune :-) I talked to Chris he
is coming by tomorrow about the ceiling I am worried about
all the mess etc while they are working on it.. the dust etc
from plaster just gets everywhere..and from the work ive
seen that they do..welll the last ceiling repair job I bet I could
have done better ... We will see when tomorrow gets here..
I called about insurance today too..$125.oo a year isnt too
bad.. well time for my famous words, and a snack..and no
soda.."Nitey Nite".. :-)

Y'all have a good one Now Y'hear? love ya..and thanks!! :-)
ALways, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

8 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes good bit tonight. Heart warming. I think of you reaching out to the poor 19 year old DAK gal and I envy you being to give her spirits a lift.

    You are a neat lady ... that's what I have to say.

    so there

    d

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger momar said…

    We are sometimes existential. We are in that one moment NOW! Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Bouvoir were the founders of that philosophy movement. Now I am tired and it is time to go to bed.

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome that you were there for that young girls...it is always a great feeling to be a blessing to someone else. It also help the pain you are in too...
    It has been wonderful coming here to visit with you here Lois.
    God bless you my friend.

    Mary

     
  • At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dearest honeydear! This was another great one, like the one yesterday.
    You are such a good writer, and as i told you before: YOU SHUD COLLECT ALL THE POSTS AND DO A BOOK, im sure many would love reading it!
    Kisses all over dear Lois
    ****+*
    Your own
    ROB

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning :-)
    Thank you all for the nice things you say about my writings..means alot to me. Kathy was a dear girl..Little did I know the advice I gave her would help me later..

    Im so pleased you take the time to come here and read, sure a nice way to start my day..thanks bunches :-)

    Y'all have a great day ...
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Honey.
    Thank you for sharing your stories with us. I just hope Katy's boyfriend knows what a lucky guy he is and that, like the stories say, they lived happily ever after! - see. there ARE a few Knights in shining armour around!!
    These folks were lucky having you around to talk to and get sensible advice from. One of your great strengths is that you can give good advice, but you also follow it yourself. You are so up-beat and take each day as it comes with courage and determination.
    Take care, Honey. Lots Of Love and Great Big Hugs from
    Raife

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Sweetie,

    Thanks for sharing a little more of your rehab experience. Sounds like things were looking up for Kathy - I sure hope so. Don't suppose you have kept in touch. I'm sure you were a big help to her.

    Thinking of you as always.

    Butty

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Raife, Butty,,,
    so nice to hear from you.. I guess I am determined, I have to do the best I can or why do anything at all? I have to try... I hope Kathy is doing ok.. Ive never kept in touch.. I cant go back there either...

    Thanks for stopping by, Take care..
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker