ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

~Rehab3~


There was another amputee lady at the Rehab, she had one
of the biggest rooms there and her roomie was bed bound,
I never saw her out of bed, but then I didn't go into her room,
usually I met Sandy out in the hall.. I am not real good at
judging ages, but I would say she was in her late 40's, she
was a diabetic and I don't know how long she had been a
dak, but she wasn't in there long before me.. She was so
funny, always getting into something..she would wait till
the recreations lady left the activities room and she would
hurry up and roll in and fill 2 bags with popcorn from a
machine they had down there.. I would wait in the hall and
sort of be a look out.. This one day I hadnt seen where the
activities lady had gone, but Sandy said she wasn't in the
room so she yelled to stand guard, which we laffed at,
and she proceeded to go in and get us each a bag of that
fresh made popcorn in there..They had a special machine
that popped it was really nice, a carnival type one with big
wheels and painted red, it made excellent popcorn and
if you werent first down there it didn't last long there was
a regular parade down the hall when they announced the
fresh popcorn, which they really didn't need to do we all
knew- the smell went thru that place like air... :-)

I was in the hall, Sandy was nabbing us each a bag of the
popcorn and the activites lady came past me so fast I
didn't have a chance to yell at Sandy that she was coming,
as Sandy is just coming out of the door the activities lady
is going in and they ran smack into each other.the lady
sat on her butt right there in the doorway Sandy ran into
her so hard..the next thing I saw was popcorn everywhere
looked like it had snowed.. We all laughed..We did have
to promise to wait till it was announced that the popcorn
was ready...we just waited at the door so we were STILL
first :-)

As I think of the things that happened there and the people
all so different and how their lives were. Some it was so
sad they had no idea where they were. One sweet dear
elderly lady, I have no idea why she was there, I think this
place was half rehab and half nursing home. I don't remember
her name, but she always talked about babies..how she
loved babies and taking care of them and she missed the
babys she would say to everyone.. One day a woman came
into the lobby with her daughter and the daughter was
carrying a babydoll in a blanket and just really cute and
very lifelike looking..The Sweet lady saw the little girl..and
she went up to her and asked if she could hold her baby,
that she would be very gentle and not drop it.. The little girl
didn't really know what to do..her mom wasn't paying any
attention..the little girl looked at that sweet old lady and
handed her the babydoll..that woman held that babydoll
and clutched it to her chest and started to rock back and
forth patting this doll on the back..She started to sing to
the baby, she had the most beautiful voice..she sang
Rock of Ages...I think everyone in that place heard that
little lady and stopped what they were doing to listen to
her sing to that babydoll...I don't think anyone had a dry
eye in there..

After she finished her sweet song, she handed the baby
doll back to the little girl..and told her "shhh,,be gentle now,
ive sung her to sleep and she will sleep for a long time."
That little girl assured the lady that she would not wake
the baby , as she turned to leave with her mom she looked
at that sweet lady and went up to her and kissed her on
the cheek and promised to bring the baby back again for
her to sing to it.. The sweet lady waved bye to that girl and
as she rolled back down to her room she declared loudly
"I sang my baby to sleep, I did" ... I called my sister and
asked her to go and get a babydoll and dress her up with
a blanket etc and bring it to me.. I told her what I was going
to do.. when she delivered the doll we both went down
to that sweet ladys room, she was sitting watching TV, and
I called out to her, "Ruth, I have a baby that needs taking
care of would you take care of her?" That little lady almost
RAN over to me, grabbed that babydoll and hugged it
tight and slowly she started to walk back to her chair, she
started to sing, and said to my sister and I.. "you will have
to go now, I have to put my precious baby to sleep".. we
heard her singing Jesus Loves Me as we went back to
my room.. From then on..that sweet lady did not go any
where with out her "baby".. Amazing how just small simple
things can bring such happiness to people..

Well that photo up top is my proof I do have roses outside.
they are just beautiful.there are rose bushes on each side
of the back door as well.. I love roses..I had a dear friend
well still do, every once in a while I would get a dozen roses
from him..I don't think he knows to this day how much that
meant to me.. I took photos every time.. Flowers are such
a wonderful thing.. I tell everyone..give me my flowers now
while I can still enjoy them, smell them and see them..don't
plant them on my grave..I want them now.. :-)

Well this has drug out longer than I had planned and will be
eye burnout by the end of this thing.. I just cannot describe
any thing in 5 words or less :-) Like you didn't know that...
Penny got my icees for me and Lori called said she may
have a fridge for me and Kenny came and fixed the fence
AND repaired the ceiling too.. was a busy day, not counting
taking photos etc.. Tomorrow I have my post almost already
ready..I took photos today of LB and of course the boy, he
waits at the door for Penny and hes so pitiful when shes here,
he follows her around like a puppy but she loves it.. I had a
taco for lunch and needless to say they don't stick with ya
for very long just like Chinese food..I don't know why they
are like that.. they were good tho..Its that time..and Im very
tired, was a busy day and I got up at 4:30 this morning I
just couldn't sleep any longer so I had no choice to rise
and shine. I got a choice now and that's to say"Nitey Nite!"

Y'all have a good one now , Y'hear? love ya..and thanks.~!
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

4 Comments:

  • At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful person you are Lois to be a blessing to other.
    I love coming here to hear what you have to say...What a blessing you are to me...
    Becky leg is doing so much better...Pam still not doing good...
    I pray you have a wonderful night and a wonderful Thursday too.....Mary

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Mary,
    Thank you for saying such very nice things, I appreciate that..and I am very glad that you are my friend Mary, I miss you when I dont see you here... I hope Beckys leg clears and I hope Pam gets better...

    Hope you are nice and cool..its extremely hot here..I am so thankful i have my fan... Have a good day :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Honey,
    Thank you SO mudh for your lovely story - and SO well told, like I was right there, watching the whole thing. You really MUST put all these stories together and make a book of them It would be so heart warming, Bless you.
    L.O.L. & G.B.H. from
    Raife

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Raife,
    Thanks hon, I would like to do that..one of these days I just might :-)

    Hope you had a good day today,
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker