ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Quiet Saturday

Nice quiet saturday today, and this week has been a good one for me.
Lots of good things happened im pleased.

The weather is changing and getting cooler, our fall is here. I even had
to put a sweater on and wear a heavier skirt..My stumps I find get cold
really easy and sometimes i find i can tell almost when its going to rain
and be ugly outside because they ache so bad, and then even the rubbing
doesnt help.

I chatted with a friend discussing phantoms and just how they really feel.
Sometimes it hurts so bad, my left heel feels like an ice pick is being
stabbed into it. It has hurt so bad sometimes the whole stump will move.
The feeling of my invisible legs is so strange..They are there, but they
feel shorter and more compressed? or like they are being pushed up from
the bottom and pushed down from the knee.. I can move the invisible too.
I can only swing it side to side..but not kick the leg out in front..but I know
when i was a rbk, (right below knee) i had horrible time to straighten out
my stump..was awful..

When i lay down i notice that sometimes my invisible legs are kinda bent
and over to the side.. sometimes i lay there and they ARE out straight ,
but they are still very short feeling.. Its hard sometimes when they really
ache to know just what part is aching the real or invisible. The stump that
is there will hurt too off and on .. but the invisible hurts all the time.. I
have to say,, if i stop and think about it..there is NOT a time that they do
not ache and let me know they are gone..but still there..

I dont remember how soon after they were taken when the phantoms
really started..i guess were always there. I dont take any kinds of meds,
pain or other wise but the pain isnt THAT bad really,, but its constant.
it NEVER stops..they ache, or flat out HURT. sometimes they feel like
they are asleep is how i describe it..like if you cut off circulation sometimes
and that picky tingly feeling as they wake up..the right one feels like that
most of the time..Its been 4 years soon for my left. next month the 22nd
to be exact..amazing how a person can remember dates of bad things..
when its best not to..Will be 5 for my right in jan. then again for that one
in feb.

I had my right leg taken twice. below first..then above. Was interesting
to find out how much a leg weighs.. Just before i had my left leg taken
they weighed me..and right after i got back to the nursing home..Guess
how much it weighed?? got any idea?

Hmmm might be a fun little way to get u to comment so everyone
knows this IS being read..OK..hmmm lets see...whoever guesses right
in a post here..I'll send a really nice picture to you, even if more than1
guess right.. I KNOW..lol so come on..hmm nobody guesses then no
one wants a picture of me well thats NOT good!!! LOL..and THEN i
would really feel bad... :-( cuz im GORGEOUS !!!!! lol...

Well im off to see what kinda food i can fix thats quick and fast. I got
some great roast beef I have been wanting shrimp so bad..and the
store here doesnt have ANY fresh ... any other time they would..
i think its cuz i want them. ever get a craving for some kinda food
and just cant stop thinking about it? thats like tryiing to remember
the name of a movie or song and u see and hear it but your minds
a total blank. i hate when that happens..

Hope your weekend is great and happy and ill be watching and waiting
ill comment on each post..they let me know when u do..so..lets see how
many know what a amputated leg from just behind the knee weighs..
be interesting to see what u all think..but in pounds..!!! lol.

y'all have a good one now y'hear? nite...
always, Lois***

21 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi lois, i guess one leg will weight about 10 pounds. makes 20 pounds less. you lost weight :-) chris

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    hi chris..good guess but i wont say if you are right ..i will keep this contest for 2 days..then everyone will know..Monday nite ill tell who is right I hope others will guess if not then u win..
    I have a GREAT winning pic to send to the winner too.. :-) thanks for guessing Chris ill let u know..lol..
    Always, Lois ***

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello there my dear Lois - been a long time since we chatted!. My guess is double what Chris said - actually if memory serves me well and that is a high risk statement - legs are 1 third of the body weight so guessing you at around 150 with legs. makes each one around 25lbs and since you still have a shortish bit, 20 lbs each lost?
    Colin from a long long way away

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Colin! how wonderful to hear from you and know you are reading me !
    You are VERY good!! but i aint telling.not yet!!! lol..good guess :-)
    Always, Lois ***

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'LL GUESS 21. 1 MORE THAN ANONYMOUS SAID. BUT IT DEPENDS ON BEGINING WEIGHT.

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Danman,, good guess!!! you will
    find out monday..glad you are reading me..so NICE to know..im pleased :-)
    Always, Lois***

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lois.........it varies with the size if the leg to begin with and level of amputation......but I'll venture a guess of 16lb

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Lois, My guess is 18 and you are GORGEOUS

     
  • At 4:36 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Great guesses ~!~ Y'all are good!
    Size of leg to begin with well i dont know, i wasnt very tall b4, the amp is right behind the knee.

    Matrix, your so sweet to say that, good guess...

    Love seein these guesses..and the prize is a really great photo now, 1 only for the winner then will be deleted . altho i may consider one for everyone that guesses, just to be nice...thanks for guessing..~!~
    Always,Lois***

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lois,
    Like others said, alot depends on size of leg, how much was amputated, length of leg,so I'd say that on average probably about 15 lbs for a total of about 30lbs.
    Really enjoy reading you, and I find you very beautiful.
    Regards,
    Robert

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello LOIS,

    Here Yashvin,

    i would guess that ur legs were of a weight of around 30 pounds. i hope that u will post the picture for the winner on the blogger also for the losser of the contest can have a look at it.

    bye..

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Robert, thank you for guessing,and thank you for saying I am beautiful..
    that is ALWAYs wonderful to hear...

    Yashvin that wouldnt be a private pic then for the winner if i posted it, would it?

    I plan to post a new photo perhaps
    every few weeks.
    Perhaps all who enter may get a photo? lol. may happen this should
    encourage everyone..

    I am so pleased that you like what i write i try to be quite honest and open about this new life of mine and dont mind sharing with anyone. Keep reading.Post time is usually 7 pm
    EST. any questions please ask...

    Thanks again love the comments you have made my day.. :-)
    Always, Lois ***

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MMM - only just behind the knee - methinks need to revise a tad. I will entert a second guess of 12lbs each making for 24 together - an closer?
    I agree you are lovely - even tho I cant see any pics of you on the site! But then I still have those lovely ones you sent me all that time ago!
    Colin

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Colin, ok, 2nd guess is allowed. lol...wont say tho how close you are, I didnt know everyone could not see the photo's here sorry to hear that the one I posted here is in my yahoo profile now tho i uploaded it there today, i posted it here i felt I may as well put it there.I just hope anyone that takes it posts it no where else. Thank you for the wonderful comment arent you just sweet.
    I havent gotten one of you I dont believe tho Colin hmmmm..that would be nice !!!!
    Always, Lois

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    25 pounds 7 ounces for the left leg. In total (both legs) about 50 pounds

    gernot

     
  • At 2:50 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    hi Gernot,
    thanks for guessing i will post answer tomorrow nite and say who winner is
    :) good to hear from you..
    always,Lois***

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest Lois (by writing so u know who i am).
    It does not matter what your legs weighted, its the thing above the legs that counts and that is you my dear.... Kisses all over from guess who

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    :-) Arent you just wonderful to say that ..yes I know who you are lol..
    so pleased you are reading ....
    but i knew you were :-)
    A kiss back to you ....
    Always, Lois ***

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lois - just catching up with your blog. Sure was great to catch up with you last week. Hope to see you again soon. Well - my guess on the weight.......15 lbs.
    Hugs, Bob (bob_admirer1)

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I HOPE EVERYONE GETS A PICTURE, I'M CURIOUS WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE. YOU SHOULD PUT A PICTURE ON YOUR SITE.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Bob! Was great to see you back with us here in our little world! I missed you. Good guess.

    DANMAN:..havent seen me? Can you acess yahoo profiles? There is a photo there, and at my msn profile both under the same name of butterflylois2003. I will send you one however if you like, send me your email and I will send.
    Always, Lois***

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker