ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Sunday, November 20, 2005

~I Taught Myself~

The best teacher I had in learning to live in a wheelchair was me. I
tried different ways to do things that made it safer, faster and of
course easier. Some things were NOT the right way, but as time
goes on, Ive learned what to do and how.

The time from Feb. to Nov. of being a SAK, was totally different.
I could still stand carefully, and only for short periods. My left
leg was very weak.I had been in a chair since july or so of 2000,
even before I had a amputation. My legs had been bypassed so
many times that it was just a waiting game. Luckily I dont
remember alot of the time from 2000 to 2002. Just pieces here
and there, but that was mainly due to the severe depression.
By the time I lost my left leg I had dropped to 100 pounds,
thats how I knew the weight of my left leg. They needed to keep
track of my weight I was losing too much, and why I was weighed
before and after my left amputation.

It was easier to do everything as a SAK, I could still reach things
that were higher up and did sit the right way on the potty, could
maneuver my chair better and didnt depend totally on my arms to
propel my chair. Many times I had to help the Dearies to move
along, when the march to the dining room was on it was a slow
process. I would tell them I was behind them and that I was going
to push them, they would smile and I would use one hand and my
leg to push me & them along.. worked good.

The other residents there were all alot older than me. I was the
youngest there, I called them the Dearies. Such sweet wonderful
people, many with no one, never having company, many, bless
their hearts didnt know they were even there, which in some
ways was a blessing for them, they didnt know they were being
abused at times. Very few there were NOT in chairs.

I never was taught how to manever a chair, just given one, and
told to use it. A little lady across the hall from me had been done
the same way. I saw her sitting in a chair probly the 3 or 4th
time I had seen her sitting in it. Helen was sitting next to her
bed, I could see her trying to see outside. As I rolled up to her
I asked her why she didnt move closer to the window so she
could see outside better. She looked at me so sadly, and said
"I dont know how to move this thing..." I moved up to her,
showed her where to grab the outer ring of the wheel and
to push it. She moved her chair, and was so HAPPY ! They
had NOT shown her what to do. They just assumed she would
know, after that I would go and help her to make sure she
could maneuver it herself.. to use her legs and arms to move
herself around... She was so pleased with herself.. The staff
was so busy they didnt have TIME. I had 6 weeks of therapy
after each amputation... and most of that was just lifting
weights. Nothing on moving or manipulating my chair.

Now, I can turn this thing on a dime, and fast? Well yes, some
times too fast. But no one taught me. Trial and error, and I
guess thats really how a person has to learn. We all do things
so differently anyway. and you can reach the same outcome by
going different ways, you just have to learn which way is best
for you. I've found that I am the best teacher of myself, and I
have ALWAYS loved a challenge, and I have to admit, THIS is
by far the biggest one I've had, SO FAR. . .

I am feeling better, and getting strength back, this week is going
to be a week of phone calls and appointment making I think. I
am still searching for a dentist, and have to assure them my legs
didnt grow back and make a appointment to get new glasses. And
the dreaded balancing the checkbook act lol, my favorite thing to
do ... :-)

Thanks for all the get well wishes ....
Y'all have a good one now y'hear? luv ya.....
Always, Lois ***

3 Comments:

  • At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great to hear that things will be geting back to normal for you :)

     
  • At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Being alone - I know a man 65 who was married with kids. He ran out just to get away - it wasn't for another woman. Now he is 65, diabetic, and smokes. He has a cousin who comes and sees him in a nursing home. I know another man who has sever MS and his wife ran out on him. He is alone in the nursing home. The internet gives us a chance to communicate.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Thanks Harry, I know I am SO ready to get back to "Normal" lol...

    Yes Momar, its sad in those places, I tried to go back just to visit and got so violently ill I couldnt go into the building. Was awful..So many are there and have no one. . . just forgotten souls. the Dearies..

    Computers are wonderful..I'd be lost with out mine.. All my friends live here. I do too 95% of the time. :-)
    Always,Lois***

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker