ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Thursday, November 17, 2005

~THAT Was THEN, THIS is NOW~

While I've been bed bound with this virus, I watched a movie about
Theodore Roosevelt. He was in a wheelchair. The stigma attached to
it was so bad back then. The people, for what ever reason, that were
in chairs were treated like lepers. These in the move were afflicted
with polio, which back then was rampant.

The movie showed a sort of spa place with miracle waters, that had
minerals in it that helped in the recovery for some . It showed these
people that were there in wheelchairs being made to eat in a separate
dining room, having private time at the special pools, they did not
mix with the people there that were just on holiday, they felt that the
sight of those in chairs would be upsetting to them. How sad is that?
To be made to feel so inferior because you are sitting in a wheelchair.

People look at me when I go out, I expect that, I used to look at some
one in a chair, we all do.. But I think its so great at how differently
it is for us now, that places are made so that we can access the stores,
restaurants or whatever. I think its helped to make those of us in
chairs feel more accepted and made to feel less out of place, that we
are able to be out in public. To have to feel like those people did back
then ? Its hard enough to battle any sort of differnce but that, HAD to
have been so awful. I know I thought to myself, how things HAVE
changed for the better...I watched as a young man lifted his girlfriend
out of her chair as he held her tight and they danced, the young man
lovingly held her oblivious to her legs just hanging there. He accepted
her as she was, That was THEN, but that is NOW as well...Was a
good movie....

I am feeling better, up and rolling more, so to speak.. I NEVER do any
thing half way, the same with getting sick, I never find the easy way
to do anything it seems....But I am getting better, just takes extra
time for me. . . But, like I say, "I can do this." lol.. I have to admit I
will be glad when I dont ache and am not so tired. Next week for sure.
Thanks for all the get well soon wishes, means alot to me that I am
cared about, you have no idea.

I am going to have some tea and go crawl back up on my bed, join my
boys that have been sticking to me like glue. They hate when I dont
feel good and cant play with them, but you know how it is when some
one you love is sick we have a tendency to hover close just so they
KNOW we love them.. animals are no different. :-)

I'm so glad THAT was then and THIS is NOW...
Y'all have a good one now y'hear? luv ya,,, and thanks... :-)
Always, Lois***

8 Comments:

  • At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Lois,
    I'm so glad that you are on the mend. Keep taking the Echinacea!! Are you sure it was Teddy Roosevelt, and not Franklin D.? I thought that F.D.R. had to spend some of his time in a wheelchair.
    Take care.
    Big hug for getting better. :-)
    Love, Raife

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Raife.. hmmm.. you could be right.. I know was a Roosevelt.lol.. I should take notes :-) lol...
    Thanks for the hug~!~
    Always, Lois ***

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to hear you are feeling better :)

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Thanks sweetie. I'm glad to be feeling better, not up to full yet but I'm getting there..lol
    Always, Lois***

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FDR had polio and wore leg braces or used a chair while president.

    I did not know whether Teddy had any orthpedic problems. He stayed overnight in the 1903 mansion we use as a church. The teddy bear is named after Teddy Roosevelt.

    glad to hear that you feel better.

    momar

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Thanks Momar, I wasnt sure who it was I was so involved seeing how those poor people in chairs were treated.. I should have known FDR cuz of the wife
    Eleanore, well I was SICK..thats my
    excuse and I'm stickin to it LOL :-D
    You are such a wealth of information
    Momar..
    Always, Lois***

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad you are feeling better and rolling with a little more verve..... Take care of yourself. Drink that tea (try a little southern comfort in it ;) Bare Hugs as always - thinkin of you

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hey~!~ good idea Butty ~!~ lol.
    Thanks :-) I'm So ready to get over this. I'm tired of being tired ...
    bare hugs back at ya ...
    Always, Lois***

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker