ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Sunday, November 27, 2005

~Things To Consider~

I was invited to my brothers for Thanksgiving, and then for Christmas.
Sadly, I cant go to his home or to my sisters..I can get into their homes,
with help, but I cant access their bathrooms, which would make a huge
difference on whether I can go or not, same thing with anywhere I go,
there are MANY things I have to consider before I go.

It was so much easier before, I never once, when I had legs, thought of
the fact that there would ever be a time that I had to consider all these
things before I could go somewhere. Now, I have to think of whether
or not I can get IN to the house, and MOST homes have at least one
step to enter their house, which means lifting chair and all or just me,
and what about once I get inside?

Once I get inside, can I get thru the doorways without knocking the
hide off my hands.? Can I maneuver around inside with out backing
up into something and knocking something over? Will they have to
move things around to make room for my chair ? and mostly can I
get into the bathroom? Is there enough room for my chair, which is
the MAJOR biggie, as I dont have the biggest WAIT time ya know?

I think perhaps this is one of the reasons I dont go. I know the
stores, restaurants etc are made accessible for chair people, but how
many, until they are in a chair, have homes that are acessible? My
sis does have a ramp, she is having trouble with her legs and with
walking, she loves having a ramp instead of steps, but not too many
others do.

I did go to a restaurant here in town. Applebee's. I will NEVER go
back to one ever again. When I rolled in there it was fairly busy,
they did have a few empty booths etc. The sweet young girl was
very nice when she greeted me and my friend. She led us all the
way around the top level to the far left, LAST table. We were right
by the exit door of the kitchen.. Every time the door opened and
someone came out the door would hit the tire of my chair, which
is like a jolt. They all apologized when they hit it, but THAT was
the only place they had for me to sit... I will never go back, I did
inform them when I left that their food was excellent, however,
I would have enjoyed it more if I hadnt been put in a corner
and next to the door where they felt was the only room
for me & my chair, and steadily getting hit. They apologized for
that, but they were considered ACCESSIBLE...were they??

The up and going has changed so drastically... I have been told
to get out more and to go.. Sure I can go, but I cant go alone,
well I guess I could, but who would push the cart? Who would
reach the item up on that top shelf? How do I reach that hanger
with the top hanging on it I would like to see? I know... I could
ASK someone that perhaps might be around by me or call the
sales girl that sometimes you can find. To me all this can be
avoided just by NOT going... With someone? yes...but alone?
No. . . I dont like to even go outside alone, what If I am out
side here by my door, my chair tips, I fall out, and cant get
back into my chair or get help? So many things now that I
have NO choice but to think of before I venture out side my
world here, so many things to consider ....

Well our snow is gone and its about 45 degrees and we had a
major thunderstorm.. I Had to watch the Packers play and I dont
know why I always watch the whole game, gets to the last
ten minutes or so and ,, yup,, im in snoozyland...and miss
the final score lol...

Well I havent eaten anything today and I am hungry, and
NO idea what I will have. But I'm gonna raid the fridge.

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? luv ya...thanks :-)
Always, Lois***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker