ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

~Chair Loaders lol..~

I was thinking to day about ways I could come up with to get
back in my chair that wouldnt take an act of congress to do..
I cant think of any ways that I can get back in my chair just me
and my chair.. pulling myself up into it.. I have tried..the last
time I fell out of it when I was in the kitchen...and thats using
the big popcorn can...I dont have any other way now to do it
that I can see...

I was talking to a friend today about how furniture is not really
adapted for someone like me thats in a wheelchair. I want
a nice work area on wheels in my kitchen I have been looking
thru sites on the net and I have seen some that would be just
perfect.. but they were all 34 to 36 inches high.. I use a tv tray
now..one of those wooden ones..and Its perfect height.. about
22 inches from the floor.. not on wheels tho..and it will collapse
it its tipped wrong..as it does fold up...the work area is a bit
too small but the height is perfect.. I wrote to some of the places
I was on the net.. and asked if they made shorter ones..and the
shortest they go is 32 inches..including casters.

Some of these work areas were really nice..Some had drop leafs
and had nice big work areas where you could put 2 bowls or
something more than just one bowl on it, had shelves underneath
too or a drawer..which is ok..but then I cant pull up real close to
chair if it has a bar that goes across at the bottom ..You know like
a brace to keep the legs apart..Its a shame. I bet there are alot
of wheel chair people have this same problem as me..

I had thought about a idea for getting back into my chair that I
could easily put together or what ever and use as a ramp or
even steps to get back in.. I had thought about some wooden
cubes that sat inside each other..all different heights with a
hole for your hand to be able to grab them apart..then put side
by side and use as wide *Note >>WIDE* or big enough square
to sit on..and to lift up..to go to the next "step" where you dont
have to lift your self up by a foot or so which is hard to do cuz
then its dragging your self up..But I bet 3 of these together would
work great..then push back together put a cushion on top and
you have an extra seat in living room too... would work good I
think..


I had even thought of a collapsible ramp thingie that can be
kept under the couch..and folds in half or in 3? and just unfold
and there is a ramp..and just straight scootin on that thing be
real easy... I would think there would be something . I was so
embarrassed when I had to call 911 that time to get picked
up and put back in my chair I felt like a total idiot..lol.. I swore
then I would learn how to do it myself and I did.. this is probly
not the way some physical therapy person would say to do
it but it works for me..lol...I know I'm strong, yes..but I am NOT
that strong to just pull my self into my chair from the floor like
I saw Brian down the hall do it.. but hes in his 20's..he has MS
i think..not real sure.. Hes one of the youngest.. or may be its
Karen. she has cp.. but she can walk a little..

Well my sis called and she is totally miserable.. her ankle is
badly broken and they may have to do surgery.. She said it
cost her 900.oo today to see her doctor and have a new
cast put on.. and she has NO insurance.. She is SO upset..
then if they have to do surgery? She is almost in tears. I
dont know but just seems no one can win...not anymore.
cant win for losing I think is how it goes.. She did say that
the Grand is taking good care of her and her Hubby feels
just awful he didnt fix the ramp before he went out of town.

Ahhh the joys of daily living lol. aint life just SO FUN???
I shouldnt complain I know there are so many so much
worse than me.. I have heard about 2 women became
quads because of getting that flesh eating disease after
having babies.. My word.. NOTHING is safe to do .I
feel so badly for them .. how sad... a quad and a new
baby..having to deal with both at the same time.. The
emotional drain on these women has to be just so
unbelievable.. and I complain. I should never complain
someone some where is worse.. I wish I could help
these women, I sure would if I could.. Bless their hearts..

Well Im off to see what kinda food QVC had on today
they are having all the super bowl party foods on.. Some
of the food, steaks etc or burgers. my sis has gotten
and they are EXCELLENT.. she gave me a bacon
wrapped filet mignon and wow.. i mean MELT IN YOUR
MOUTH... Really good.. I saw some carmel apple chips
and they look so good I watched the ladys face as she
tasted one .. I think they were really good and not
expensive like a pringles can and got 3 of them for 20
dollars i think..Not bad...Well I better go check.:-)

Oh - Im doing ok.. still cant hardly raise my arm but its
alot better..

Y'all have a good one now y'hear? LUV YA ! & thanks :-)
Always, Lois***

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

3 Comments:

  • At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When it comes to food - I eat simple foods such as cereal for breakfast, 3 half sandwiches for lunch and easy to fix evening meals such as soups, stews and yogurt for dessert with fruit.

    I have a male friend who is 65, a diabetic and a smoker. He has not walked in 5 years and they told him yesterday both legs have to come off mid thigh because of gangrene. He is not fully aware of the situation, I will let you know how he does after the operation.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear lois,
    You don't happen to have a magic carpet about you, that you could send to collect me and my shop? You could have ramps and boxes and tables galore, then, especially with timber being so cheap in the U.S.
    It is so frustrating, knowing how to help somebody and not being near. I guess this is what Hell is like, being a spirit and not being able to help people.
    Gosh, that's a bit deep, isn't it?
    Lots of love and big hugs from
    Raife.

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Momar, usually I only eat 1 meal a day at lunch, then a light snack for dinner..

    So sorry to hear about your friend, Yes, please keep me updated..

    Hi Raife, I wish I did have a magic carpet! I would most definitely bring your talented self over here. I wouldnt have to worry about falling if I had that tho would i? lol..
    hope you have a good day! :-)
    ALways, Lois***

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker