ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Friday, July 28, 2006

~Friday Nite FishFry~



Ever since I was very young my parents went out for dinner
on friday night for a fish fry. For years.. I think they did, up until
the time they passed away. The very first I remember of having
my famous french fries and gravy was on a friday night..fish fry
night at a great place called McKinneys out on Ice Lake..nice
place. A man and woman I think mother and son, owned it. The
mans name, he was the cook, was Howard..nice man, I can
remember him letting me go into the kitchen and watch him make
my fries and get me a bowl of gravy and dip them in it.. HE got
me started on this...And Ive eaten them ever since...that photo is
of my parents and gramma having a friday fishfry dinner :-)

Every friday night, even now I bet..the local restaurants have their
friday night fish fries up North.. Same people go..and its like a
date almost, they meet and eat,, and talk table to table..taking 20
minutes to be able to leave by the time you say goodbye to every
one..I think its just a way for the locals to get together at a really
unscheduled sort of party. My favorite restaurant up North is The
Happy Italians.. They have more than just Italian food.. ALL their
food is wonderful..and the portions? wow..well if you leave there
hungry? you didnt order anything then.. Their fries and gravy are
some of the best I have ever eaten and I have tried them ALL over
in many many towns and states.. trust me..THEY are the best..

I had been away from home for a long time..10 years I bet and
went home for a holiday and of course came friday night and
we all went for a fishfry.. I had forgotten the size of the portions
of food they serve up there.. They make SURE you have plenty.
Their Italian food is wonderful..they make this great sauce and
they make mostly all homemade pasta..My ex and I decided we
were going to have Italian Gnocci one night.. We ate those tiny
little bally things of pasta and good? wow..just wonderful..What
we didnt know was that when these things hit your stomach
they kind of explode? and make you feel so STUFFED..well
we KNEW how turkeys felt!! lol.. Those Gnocci exploded and
we were both so miserable we even were too lazy and full and
STUFFED to even get up and leave and go home for a while..
Now THATS bad lol..no.. was just good food... If you get up there
go to the Happy Italians..its still there I checked lol.. I still have
family and friends up there..and my friend Gail keeps me updated
on the fries n gravy..she never had them till I told her about them
she LOVES them too ..lol..

I told a friend of mine in the UK about what we did when its so hot
and all I had was a fan, and she tried it..and was amazed that it
did work ! When it got hot in TX. I got some ice from the freezer,
put it in a bowl, put in front of the fan and it blew cool air on me..Not
ALL thru a room but enough to keep me and the area around me
cooler.. saved me many many times from melting.. It really works
I call it AIR cooled lol.. I told a friend of mine in NZ about it ..was so
hot there and sure saved them... It works..and if you can get free
ice from a machine even better..I froze mine In plastic bags..then
when it melted I just put the bags back in the freezer lol...Gets too
hot and all you have is a fan..try it.. It really does work...

I think the building got hit by lightening last nite.. I heard it start to
pour down rain and the lightening was almost constant and wind..
well needless to say I was scared.. I had shut down everything,
puter , tv all of it..even the AC..and was sitting in the living room by
the window watching it..the boys on top the tv by me.. All of a sudden
was this LOUD CRACK~!!!.. the room lit up.. the boys ran.. I ducked..
and waited to see what was going to happen..and nothing did.!. the
electric has been flickering all day tho..These storms are getting
worse.. and I will be honest and admit I am a big CHICKEN.. I hate
storms ..they really scare me..I look out and see stuff flyin thru the
air..and then hear the tornado siren..well THAT was almost enuff to
make a person stroke out..just from being scared lol...THAT was
a awful feeling to hear the warning sirens that a tornado was down
close and no where to hide.. its not a good feeling.. I havent heard
anything about that last nite today, so if it did do anything I am sure
Penny would inform me, she is good about that. We are sposta
have another storm later on..its headed at us again..those storms
build up out there on Lake Michigan and hit land and are just ALL
kinds of bad.. My niece was in that last one..hit really bad up there
by her..she said they spent the night in the basement.

Well the rest of this night I am spending over there on my bed.. I
am gonna get some of those strawberries and pound cake..and
have a friday nite treat..All GORGEOUS weebles are sposta have
Friday nite treats...lol.. well this one anyway...im gonna hit publish,
eat, watch tv and sleep..not necessarily in that order tho.. Depends
on if i lay down before I start to watch tv!!! lol.. I always manage to
hit publish and EAT tho... ohoh I hear thunder!!!! Better log off...
Nitey Nite :-)

Y'all have a good one y'hear...luv ya.. and thanks :-)
Always, Lois ****

May God Bless you today,
I'm so honored to call you friend,
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again...

5 Comments:

  • At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All GORGEOUS weebles are sposta have
    Friday nite treats...lol.. well this one anyway...Better log off...

    Pity for me my dearest Lois! I thought id had a chat now when i had got home from my short vacation...And now i go to summerhouse.... Hmmm but take care dear until next time.
    KAO
    ***+*
    Your own
    ROB

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Family style dining in Kansas City: The fried chicken restaurants serve food family style. They just put big platters and serving bowls of food out and everybody pigs out. There used to be a restaurant in KC called the wishbone. They had the best salad dressing. I think they sold the recipe to Kraft Foods and you can still buy Wishbone salad dressing in most American Supermarkets.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning,
    Poor Rob, you just steady go,go,go, one of these days you will stop long enough to chat perhaps...

    Here is Amish Country and the Come & Dine restaurants serve just like that. sit at a big table and the food is served in big bowls.. Each family had their own table of course.. In Houston, was a boarding house restaurant, they rented rooms but the dining room was open to the public and everyone sat at a Huge table all together and the food was served and the bowls constantly filled and was WONDERFUL. Ive not seen a place like that again...

    Ahhh.food food food,, only 1 thing slightly better lol.. :-) ME..lol...
    Hope you have a good satday... :-)
    Always, Lois****

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My Dear Lois,
    We had friends round on Wednesday evening for a meal. Ines (that's Management's name!!) made asparagus soup followed by fillet of lamb in redcurreant sauce with homegrown peas, French beans and new potatoes. Then we had Ines's famous lemon merengue pie - Oh my - is that good or what? All washed down with a nice white wine.
    The great trouble with being married to a great cook is that it is SOOO hard to hold the weight down - I'm 12stone, 10ponds (that's 178 pounds for you Colonials!!) and loosing the battle daily. Just as well I don't use a chair, it would be shrinking all the time!!
    Take care, my gorgeous Weeble, lots of love and hugs from
    Raife.

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Raife!
    I wasnt expecting you back! I bet Ines pie is tons better than this one I have here I have no doubt.

    There is nothing but maybe 2 things better and Im ONE of them hehehe
    Glad your Back!!
    ALways, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker