ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Saturday, October 21, 2006

~Accessible?~


The place because it has a ramp going up to it makes it
accessible?.. The ramp I could not get up it by myself..I did once
I think, but I only barely made it and It took every ounce of
strength I had to get up it.. There was a deck out in the back
off the livingroom/tv/play area but the casing to go out through
the sliding glass door there was a drop of a couple inches..and
not safe, not for me anyway.. then I found out the ramp leading
off the deck at the end is not finished and a drop of about 6
inches or so..luckily someone told me about it or I could have
gone off the end and gotten hurt.. not good...

This place is only about a year old. the offices are down in the
basement down a flight of stairs.. when there is a tornado
warning all the residents are to go downstairs..how would I
have gotten down? I would have had to been carried..that is
not safe.doable..but still..no accessibility there.. The kitchen
was very nice.. a work island in the center that came up to
my armpits.. the huge stove had 6 burners..all the same
height as the one at the apartment.. The cabinets were so
high I could not reach the dishes.. The Microwave was
mounted under the cupboards, very high, I couldnt reach
the controls.. But it was a nice kitchen..3 sinks..but not
accessible..the bathroom had a tub, and a place to put a
seat, a kind of slat board that went across the tub..how
did I reach the shower nozzle from there? I dont think
they thought they would have a handicapped person there.
so maybe that was a good thing for them..I wish all of the
board members could read this blog..see what I have to
say..maybe it could make some changes for the good..
get those poor people a home..faster..This experience is
one that I will never forget...and this all happened within
months.. Keystone was a very nice building..and some
great people worked there, but...there is room for a lot
of improvement...until you really experience something
how can you really say you KNOW how it feels and what
is best?

Well my boy and girl came today , Donnie & Dawn, and
they put up mini blinds for me in each of the rooms. Was
so neat. I figgured at least 5 or 6 dollars each for them,
well I got to looking and wondering how I got so much change
well...they were on sale at almost HALF price..is THAT
great or what? The difference in here in just doing that is so
amazing.. I like the privacy when they are closed..once I
get some curtains be better too..Donnie doesnt think I
should take up the carpet, but if I dont then I will have to use
my power chair, I would have no trouble with it on this thick
carpet..so I may do that..It does look nice..

I am still in total amazment of all the friends This little corner
of my world has gotten me and I just cant put it into words
just how much that really means to me...Your offers of help
are truly wonderful and greatly appreciated.. If you will send
me a email to my LovelyLittleLegs@gmail.com address I
will send you my mailing address. I have been asked if I have
paypal , and yes . I do..I will go tomorrow and get a button to
put here for just a little while...It would help on this restart I do
admit..but the most valuable to me of course is your friend
ship and I hope you know that....

Well I am tired..this no tv I went to bed at 8 pm last nite..posted
played 2 games of solitare and went to bed.. I do have a radio
now, Donnie brought one...that helps... Im logging off and
sayin...Nitey Nite :-)

Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? Luv ya,,and THANKS...


Always, Lois****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

2 Comments:

  • At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lois
    Just reading an article by author Alan Pease who has recovered from 3 bouts of cancer and he came thru it by focusing on what he wanted not on what he did not want. Thats how you got your new place along with a some help from Raelynn by focusing on what you wanted. It is a truly amazing way to live your life. No Negatives. Really pleased for you that you have most of your freedom back and are in a place of relative comfort & convenience. All's well that ends well. Onwards & upwards from here.
    Regards RJ

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning RJ..how nice to hear from you...I have so much still to do but I sure like it here..so do the boys. We have all resumed our normal sleeping positions..we all sleep great. I wish everyone in that place could find this... This can be fixed up really cute...just need extra long arms and I havent got that either lol...*sigh* but with a little help from my friends..it will be great...
    Hope you have a great day...keep in touch! :-)
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker