ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

~Meet My Brother N Law~


I talk so much about my sister Shirley and my brother in law
Stanley and I realized ive not put a photo here of him..Well..
that is Stanley...sweet dear man. Hes one of the most hard
working men I know besides my boy Donnie. He cant sit
still..if he does he falls sleep lol..well hes a busy man.. When
they come to visit, Shirley will usually sit in the recliner and
he will lay on the couch and goes almost instantly asleep,
he always comments "Lois, if anything happens to you, will
you leave me this couch?" :-) well my couch is very comfy
even though its got to be 30 years old..to look at it you
would never know..The cushions are as firm and solid as the
day my mother bought it..Its survived so much..and still looks
brand new and I know I can snuggle down in that thing and
sleep like a baby, I have many times.

Stan is one of the best fiberglass and mold makers I would
say in Indiana. They had their own business and he would
make molds, for everything from truck caps to Baptismal
tubs for churches. Hes provided a good life for them..He tries
and says hes gonna retire..but no- Stanley? He would go nuts
hes like Donnie..cant stay still for long periods of time and has
to do something. Hes a deeply religious man and is a skilled
guitarist and can play the harmonica, one of those huge ones.
He cant read music at all..and is totally self taught..I think the
guitar is his favorite though..I believe now hes learning to play
the mandolin.. I asked him last time to bring his guitar and his
harmonica I would love to record him, hes played for his church
and other places too I think. They had 5 children. 3 girls and
then twin boys. that has grown to 16 grands and 3 greatgrands.


Stanley sometimes is accident prone..he is, and Ive gotten
phone calls from my sis and as soon as I hear her voice, I know
something is wrong..and when she says Stan, well there is just
NO telling what hes done. He was doing tree work for a while
and it was after a really bad bad storm we had, he had gotten
a call from a church member that a 'branch' had fallen and
was laying, rather tee tottery, across the high point of the roof
of their garage. The 'branch' turned out to be the whole tree,
a fairly good size..it had snapped off a bit above the base
of the tree and lifted and landed on the garage, the tree top
on one side and the trunk and lower part of the tree across
the other side. Stan put up a ladder, and proceeded with his
chain saw to the roof was cutting the tree and was going
to let it go on each side and fall to the ground, so he thought.

Not realizing the top was lighter than the solid wood and rather
thick trunk of the tree. He started up his Chainsaw, and started
to cut thru it- as the saw blade almost got through it, he said
he heard this loud "CRACK !, SNAP!" and that tree started
to split before he had cut all the way through ..as the tree
started to split and separate, he had not tied off one end, the
heavy trunk dropped and the top of the tree came almost
straight up and as it came down it landed on Stan, he slid down
the roof and to the ground holding on to the top of that tree,
luckily when he hit the ground the ONLY thing that hit him were
some branches but they smacked him right almost between the
eyes but up on his forehead and knocked him out cold, the
people that lived there couldn't help but hear the tree snapping
and could hear it as it fell and dragged down the roof of that
garage ripping the shingles off of it, ran outside and see Stan
laying there and that still running chain saw, that luckily he
just tossed aside, he had no time to shut it off, a little ways
away from him..the top of the tree had almost folded over
and the 'tree' was laying next to him..Of course they called 911.

When their oldest daughter passed away I of course went to
the funeral..Ruth took me, afterwards they had a nice dinner
at the church for the family and those that attended it. When
we got there we parked in the back thinking that was the best
place to park to get to the graduated walk with no steps into
the hall. Ruth went in and said we were there and Stan of
course, offered to help get my chair and help me to get into
it. I got into my chair and Stan backed us up a bit..closed the
door said.."ready?" I said "yup,lets go" and that is JUST what
we did.. I mean 90 miles and hour he pushes me down that
sidewalk up to that door if I hadnt held on I would have been
airborne I think. :-) He zipped me inside, down the hall at
almost a running speed, I bet my hair was laid back on my
head we were going so fast! ..:-) I start to laugh, "STANLEY!!"
I said.."HEY, I wanna eat somethin ya know? I think you left
my stomach back there at that corner back down the hall !"
he almost had my chair on 2 wheels he pushes so fast. He
says "well that's what wheels are for, ROLLIN" . :-) and he
asks if I wanted to FLY with him :-D ya..ok..:-)

I did not make one phone call today and I have been very
good..I did get up early again 4 am. I had to balance my
checkbook again.. I wish it would automatically do that..we
can get stuff auto out and in..save me some grief when my
book just sits there and laughs at me when I cant get it to
balance ..it does I swear I can hear it.. I bet it can HEAR
me when it doesn't ! :-) Its time to get that bed rest and not
the desk rest I take every afternoon lately so that means
time to say "Nitey Nite" :-)


Y'all have a good one now Y'hear? luv ya, and thanks :-)
Always, Lois ****




God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

2 Comments:

  • At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good morning Lois, you have a wonderful day. Nice pictures you put on your blog.
    God bless you. Nice to be back on the computer.
    Mary

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Lois said…

    Good Morning Mary,
    So very good to hear from you.. we have kept you in our prayers..I got your mail.. Hope James steadily improves..Im glad you like the photos..

    Take care Mary and I missed you :-)
    glad your back.. Have a good day..
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker