ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

~Happy 4th

I was talking to a friend, we were discussing the various jobs
we held in our lives.. I have held many, from tending bar to
nursing , sewing, Exporting, my own business and the one
we talked about was when I worked in Houston for a man
that was an attorney, well known, and very smart. He owned
motels and apartments, and houses that he rented out . I
worked for him managing them.. Not all at the same times,
but I did work at all of them at one time or another, They
were all over Houston, and Pasadena.

One that I worked at was on Telephone Road, a very busy part
of Houston, well it was back then, this was the 70's.. The motel
had 46 rooms. Across the street lined up were at least 4 strip
joints, as in nudies..and a couple bars.. It wasn't the best area.
Lots going on 24 - 7.. The motel..stayed busy. we very seldom
had empty rooms..and on the week ends? well..to make money
then, it amounted to re renting the rooms.. I rented one room I
know 22 times in one night.. In the motel business, well the ones
I worked in ..all had a short and long staying time..the short time
was for 4 hours.. They were not given a key, and we had to make
sure we copied the license plate number, and informed the
guest, that when we saw their car leave it meant that they were
checking out, and we would go and clean the room and rent it
again.. Most of these short stays..were just that..:-) maybe an
Hour at the most...

Some of the rooms were efficiency rooms with small area as
a kitchen..Some girls that worked across the road at the strip
clubs, many lived at the motel, they worked and lived there
and when they made enough money they would move on to
other things..hopefully better..There was no telling what would
go on over there..many times I would hear gun shots and just
cringe and make sure it wasn't at my place ..usually it was at
one of those places.. I saw a man once walking up and down
with a shot gun , swearing at some girl to come home.. I think
they said they found him dead in his car behind the bar, the girl
wouldn't go and he committed suicide... was a bad area..

The ONLY good thing about living there, I lived above the motel
office in a massively HUGE apartment.2 bedrooms..just great..
The living room windows overlooked that road. But a block or
so down the street was a restaurant called Tel Wink.. and they
had the best food, it was great.. On Saturday they made home
made potato soup..it was so good..My boss made sure it was
Saturday when he came by to check his place.. it was his excuse
to go there..They were always busy, and only open early morning
till 6 I think.. not late at nite.. It was too bad an area at night..

Running a motel was almost a 24 - 7 job. I had clerks to run the
desk when I didn't, and I had room cleaners..maids we called them,
but after 5 it was up to the clerks to clean the rooms if they needed
it.. I had laundry lady too.. When I ran the little small places outside
of Pasadena , One motel was only 6 rooms the other was 12 and
they were next door to each other but a huge field in between..My
boss owned the smaller and when the bigger one went up for sale
he bought it.. I lived at the bigger one and rented out both places.
They were very busy, but mostly daytime short stays, they were
in an industrial area.. amazing the area determined when we were
busy. The road out front of these 2 smaller places was 4 lane..
and being an industrial area many stayed there on a weekly
basis as 6 had small kitchens.. and the area outside was really
nice..we kept it up so it looked good.. I liked working them..was
interesting all the different people I met..

I had a bit of bad news from a dear friend Jo, that I have mentioned
here, specially when she was having some very severe medical
problems.. Jo has a son, that has a lady that he lives with, she has
4 children..the youngest Tammi, 3.. Yesterday she spent the day,
along with her 2 brothers at Jo's..The mother & Jo's son came
and picked the kids up to take them home..early evening.. When
they got home. mom went downstairs to put clothes in the washer
The dad was gone to the store or somewhere, the other kids were
there.. Tammi got out of the door and climbed the ladder to a pool
they had only purchased a month ago.. They could not revive her.
Pools are so dangerous for children. it only takes a second.. Mom
only ran down the basement to put a load of clothes in the washer,
the other kids were probly watching TV, and paid no attention,
all was normal to them.. No one noticed the Angel on her way
back to heaven..... I can only imagine the heartache that whole
family is going thru today and will for a long long time.. My heart
goes out to them.. My dear friend Jo is devastated..her words were,
"If I had only kept her for the night"... Just a split second and a
person's whole world can change drastically..in the blink of an eye.
When you say your prayers tonite..think of this family and their grief
ask a little blessing for them..Tammi will swim safely forever now,
All our only consolation at times like this ..is that they go to a better
place.. I believe that.. All God's creatures go home when they leave
here.. I do believe that.. and its a better place.. its heaven..

Well while I am stuck here, I have to eat..and its out in the kitchen.
I was going to make myself a nice hot beef sandwich with fries
and gravy..since its a holiday today.. well I got to looking around
and to get it all set up so I can use my deep fryer I would have
to move about 4 other things and where do I put them..and- and-
and-.. so ..I didn't make fries.. I think I am going to change my
kitchen around..but I have to find a helper than is strong enuff
to help.. I think..when I get my power chair I bet I could move most
everything out there.. I have to do a plan of attack..and do it step
by step..or it wont work. Well its just a plain roast beef sandwich
for dinner..then TV maybe.. at least its nice out for the fireworks..
it said rain. Time for food, time to say "Nitey Nite" :-)

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? love ya, and thanks :-)
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe
until I write again..

2 Comments:

  • At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy 4th to you Lois.
    Nice day here, Becky was able to come over for the day..Beth came over with her lap top computer to show me the pictures of the flood...she send them to me, but I never got them... so it was nice to see the pictures...I fell like there not enough pictures of the flood area for me to see...I love looking at pictures.

    Pam still having some problem with her meds...hoping we still can bring her home Thursday.
    God bless you Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Same to you Mary.. I hope you had a good day.. I know how bad those floods are. I hope Pam gets better.

    so good to hear from you..take care..
    Always, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker