ButterflyLois

Amputee life before and after...

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

~Summer Memories~


At the start of summer, I think of this place. Was a great cottage on Sunset
Lake. Beautiful lake and it had some great fishing. Almost directly across
the lake from the cottage was the public beach and most of the time
all summer there were a lot of people there. My parents bought this
cottage in 1961 I think.. My Dads mother had passed away and they
inherited quite a bit of money, they bought this place and it was worth
every dime.. I never did know what they paid for it though. Whatever
it was it was money well spent for the enjoyment we got out of it..Not
just my parents and I but the family as well..Usually every week end
someone came by to swim or fish or to just sit and visit...but of course
ALWAYS a great meal..whether it was called a snack or not..it was
great..Usually if a few members of the family came at the same time
it was usually where everyone brought something..Made it easier
for my mom ..who didn't mind the cooking but she liked to be out
there in that yard and lake too...
They didn't keep it for a lot of years after I left home in 63, We went
back in 65 for a visit with the boys and had a great time.. Richard
was about 2 as Mark was still a tiny baby. Was a good time..
..That's my dad with my oldest son going for a ride. They didn't
go out very far since they didn't have life jackets on but If I think
back I don't think my dad had too much of a choice but to take
Richie out in that boat, soon as my dad mentioned it Richard
stuck to my dad like glue asking When Grampa , when?

Those windows there facing the water on the right is the dining
room and on the left is a small porch and another door that
goes into the living room..There was a big kitchen and a bath
room down stairs and 2 bedrooms upstairs.. I had the best time
out there, specially when I got to have a friend or a cousin come
and stay for a week or so..Those were some great fun times..We
used this place in the winter as well..that long dock in that picture
my dad would back his jeep up to it..and pull it out of the lake
with that.. You cant see the big huge wheels that are on each
side to help it roll in and out..Those big wheels that look like
the kind on farm machinery.. Probly where my dad got them
was from my Uncle Stanleys Farm, I know he made that dock.
We, mom and I stayed all the time and didn't go back to the
house in town at all which I was glad..so much nicer on the water.

I look at that cottage and think if it would be accessible for me..
which I do that with every place I look at..I have to. The down
stairs of course could be accessible for me, Not the upstairs.
And you see how high that cottage is off the ground, even
tho there was no basement..It would have to have ramps to
get in and out..Over on the right side of the cottage is another
door to go thru a small foyer and then into the kitchen.. I think
at one time this was a year round cottage which many of
them are... I sure would love to be in that cottage and looking
out at that water, my little porch will do for right now tho..

Lunch was, well I have NO idea what the meat was.. I did
recognize the broccolli and mashed potatoes tho.. I ate the
brocolli it was good and there was more than what they
usually give.. I love that and brussel sprouts..Sometimes I
will fix one of those for a snack sometimes.. I like most
veggies..except CARROTS!! ICK..and I DONT like that
slimy stuff..Ocra..I just cant handle that..I used to cook it,
but I did NOT eat it..Willie loved that stuff..so being a
dutiful wife I fixed it for him..Im glad he didn't make me eat
it.. I would have been upset!..I have some peaches out in
the fridge and nice and cold.. That sure sounds good so I
think that's my dinner for tonite..Im not really hungry..I have
to go to the doctor tomorrow and I hate that it always gets
me sorta antsy when I know I have something scheduled..
I was sposta see this guy right after I got out of hospital..
oh well better late than never... So its time for my very
GORGEOUS WEEBLE "nitey nite" :-)

Y'all have a good one now, Y'hear? love ya and Thanks!!
Always, Lois ****

God Bless you, is my prayer today,
I'm so honored to call you "friend";
I pray the Lord will keep you safe,
Until I write again.....

3 Comments:

  • At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lake houses: My mother and her family went to an artificial lake resort in the early 20th century. We visited friends in the mid-20th century. People always seem to like to get some sun and fresh air in the summer. I visited friends in Sag Harbor a 19th century whaling town out on the east end of Long Island. Einstein, Fermi and Bors visited friends on Long Island in 1938 and thought up the atom bomb.

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW wonderful pictures Lois, so glad you put them in here for us to see.
    What a wonderful childhood you had, you are blessed...my husband spend a lot of his time on the lake when he was young...I never did but had a great childhood too I think.
    Saturday we start moving Michael thing to his new place, not to far off.
    I had a long day again here, but most of it went well...my van did not get fixed today...sure hope they work on it Wednesday...
    I going to start buying Pam food again for her, the staff is having a hard time with Pam at the stores...it was good to get a break from it...Pam not doing well right now, and it make it much harder on the staff.
    God bless you Lois.
    Mary

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Lois said…

    Hi Guys..
    So nice to hear from you.. I wish I could live on the water..all the time.. Glad you like the photos..

    THanks again for coming and reading and letting me know..
    Love n Hugs,
    ALways, Lois ****

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker